Stock Coil and spark plug wires.

More
07 Apr 2011 16:25 #443256 by bountyhunter
Replied by bountyhunter on topic Stock Coil and spark plug wires.
I have been running this one on my 750 twin for about four years and it works really well:

EM24-72451
Ignition Coil - 4 Ohm Dual Output - Kawasaki Suzuki
Equivalent to OEM: 33410-45012 -
$36.00

If you run a 3 Ohm coil in place of a four Ohm (with points) the current draw goes up by about 30% over stock design value which burns the points out sooner. Also loads the ignition wiring a bit more and MIGHT cook the coil if it is intended for electronic ignition:

With electronic ignition, you "waste" some of the system voltage dropping across the transistor so the coil has less voltage across it. Put that coil in with points and it has the full 14V across it which increases power dissipation a lot. Coils run ridiculously hot anyway, not a good idea to run them above design rating. If the 3 Ohm coil is guaranteed to work without external ballast resistor and full system voltage, it might be OK.

1979 KZ-750 Twin

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
07 Apr 2011 16:27 #443258 by bountyhunter
Replied by bountyhunter on topic Stock Coil and spark plug wires.

JakeB wrote:

bloglos wrote: I'll probably replace the coils as well just to be sure. They aren't too expensive. I'm just having some difficulties deciding on a coil.

Does anyone have experience with with either of these? I'm not sure what the difference is.

www.z1enterprises.com/SearchResult.aspx?...&KeyWords=EM24-72451
or
www.z1enterprises.com/SearchResult.aspx?...KeyWords=IM01143-55S

They have different bolt spacing, the top link is 4" and the bottom is 3.5". There is also one similar to the bottom link with angled plug caps;

The EMGO bolt spacing was a shade shorter than stock on mine, so I made a little extender piece with holes in it to mount it.

1979 KZ-750 Twin

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.