82 KZ550 wont start

More
27 Mar 2011 13:13 #440725 by JonZweifel
82 KZ550 wont start was created by JonZweifel
Ok so day before yesterday, i ran the bike wide open. I was gettin in to it pretty hard and everything but it was running like a champ. I get to my house and turn it off and about 5min later I went to start it up to take it to the convenience store right around the corner but get nothing. It doesnt turn over or anything. I turn my key and absolutely nothing happens. I checked the wire from my ignition to the starter and all the rest of the wiring and they apear to be fine. I bought a new battery yesterday and it didnt help at all. I will start if I pop the clutch but other then that ive got nothing. Any ideas?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• trianglelaguna
  • User
  • New and improved - extra strength
More
27 Mar 2011 13:32 #440730 by trianglelaguna
Replied by trianglelaguna on topic 82 KZ550 wont start
one of the wires from the handlebar controls get pinched...the switch fail...the starter wires v=come unplugged a wire pop free in the headlight housing...if you ground a screwdriver across the starter relay nuts what happens

1976 KZ900
2003 ZX12R
2007 FZ1000
2004 ninja 250R for wife

More
27 Mar 2011 14:30 #440745 by JonZweifel
Replied by JonZweifel on topic 82 KZ550 wont start
I don't know where the starter relay screws are, and my bike doesn't have the factory controls on the handlebars its got a manual ignition like a car has installed on the left side. I checked it all connections are solid on the ignition

More
27 Mar 2011 15:44 #440764 by MFolks
Replied by MFolks on topic 82 KZ550 wont start
Trace back from the battery Positive(+)cable, it will go to the starter solenoid and then to the starter motor. Also check the cable going from the battery's Negative(-) post to the engine mounting bolt as these get loose sometimes.

Starter Solenoid/Motor Checkout Procedure

Some simple steps to determine what is working and what's not:

1.Fully charge and test the battery(most bike shops can load test the battery, and then use a floating ball hydrometer to check specific gravity in the charged cells).

2.Clean all battery terminals of corrosion.

3.Tighten all starting related connections(Positive RED(+) battery terminal, Negative BLACK(-)terminal) and from the terminal to the engine case. All connections must be clean and tight.

4.Clean the cable from the starter solenoid to the starter motor.

5.Clean and check the "bullet connectors" going to the coil side of the starter solenoid.

6.Try again to start the bike, keep in mind some Kawasaki’s have a clutch interlock to prevent cranking the engine while it’s in gear, so the clutch lever must be squeezed.

7.If no luck, go to step #8

8.Wearing eye protection, bridge with pliers or a screwdriver the two heavy duty(large)terminals on the solenoid. If the bike cranks, your solenoid may be bad.

9. If the starter won’t turn over, one of several things has happened; The starter motor has seized due to brushes binding up, lack of lubrication in the bushings of the motor, the battery is weak , the engine has seized or it could be a combination of any of the above. Some websites for starter motor rebuild kits are:

A. www.mawonline.com/newsite/rick_s_motorsp...-starter_brushes.htm

B. www.cyclewareables.com/pages/street_star...kits/startmtrkit.htm (not sure if the website is still viable)

C. www.psep.biz/store/mitsuba_starter_motors_page_2.htm

10.The dealer may want $$$ for a new solenoid, but take your old one along and visit the nearest riding lawn mower shop. They have solenoids for about $15 that with a little work will fit. Be aware that the new solenoid from the lawn mower shop may require a ground wire for it to work.

11. I’d recommend upgrading from the existing battery cables to at least 6 gauge welding cables.
They are available in two colors(RED and BLACK) have more flexibility due to being constructed with finer conductors, and will fit in tighter areas.

12. The welding cable is sold by the foot, so take careful measurements or bring your old cables along. Most battery shops might be able to supply the cable too, so call to find out. The battery shop should be able to crimp/swage on the end of the welding cable the terminal ends or lugs using either a dedicated crimping machine or a tool that looks like a bolt cutter that has special dies to terminate the cable.

1982 GPZ1100 B2
General Dynamics/Convair 1983-1993
GLCM BGM-109 Tomahawk, AGM-129A Advanced Cruise Missile (ACM)