Pick-up coil question

More
20 Mar 2011 14:06 - 20 Mar 2011 14:12 #439171 by GPz550D1
Pick-up coil question was created by GPz550D1
Hello,

I have a 1981 KZ550-D1 and would like to replace the pick-up coils with new Kawasaki part # 59026-1009 which is discontinued. The pick-coil assembly for a 1981 KZ1000 is part # 59026-1133 (old # 59026-1012) and is still available from Kawasaki. It looks identical in pictures (on Ebay) to mine, same colored wires and same connector, but the backing plate looks different. My question is can I remove my old pick-up coils from my backing plate and install the new KZ1000 pick-up coils on my old backing plate? Thank you!

Ebay pick-up coil

Robert

1981 KZ550-D1
Last edit: 20 Mar 2011 14:12 by GPz550D1.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
20 Mar 2011 15:39 #439185 by loudhvx
Replied by loudhvx on topic Pick-up coil question
I think so. I'm not positive, but as long as they fit mechanically, it should work.

Here's what you need to know about the magnet polarity:
home.comcast.net/~loudgpz/GPZweb/Ignitio.../PickupAndRotor.html

Also, in case you are interested, here's how to make an igniter.
home.comcast.net/~loudgpz/GPZweb/Ignition/GPZgmHEImod.html

More
20 Mar 2011 15:43 #439186 by MFolks
Replied by MFolks on topic Pick-up coil question
I wrote this for the bigger 4's, but I believe the resistance check will be the same. Also the 550's,650's and 750's are wired backwards to the Z1's, Kz900's,Kz1000's & Kz1100's

Ohm Checking Pickup(Pulsing) Coils

The pickup coils on the Kawasaki’s with the factory supplied electronic ignition can sometimes fail or become intermittent due to heat and vibration.

1.Trace back from where the pick up coils are mounted,(under a right side CD sized cover) locate and disconnect a small 4 pin connector. Using a multi-meter set on OHMS and range of 2K, check between the BLUE and BLACK wires(#1 and #4 sparkplug wires) for between 360- 540 OHMS.

2.For #2 and #3 sparkplugs the wire colors will be YELLOW and RED, again 360-540 OHMS.

3.If the pickup coils are suspect of failing due to heat, they can be stressed using a hair dryer without the need of the engine running.

4.A replacement set of pickup coils might be obtained from a dealer who serviced the police Kawasaki’s.

5. If replacement pickup coils are not available, your next choice would be to order a Dyna “S” electronic ignition system from www.z1enterprises.com It replaces the IC igniter with a smaller module located where the mechanical ignition advancer was mounted.

6. Checking with Kawasaki.com website has determined that the Pick up(pulsing) coils are available . The pulsing coil # is 59026-1133 and replaces the older # 1002, 1012 which were used from the MKII motors until the 2005 P24.

7.Check the small 4 pin connector that the pickup coils connect to for corrosion/loose pins too.

1982 GPZ1100 B2
General Dynamics/Convair 1983-1993
GLCM BGM-109 Tomahawk, AGM-129A Advanced Cruise Missile (ACM)

More
20 Mar 2011 18:59 #439239 by GPz550D1
Replied by GPz550D1 on topic Pick-up coil question
Thank you Lou and MFolks for your replies. I checked the resistance on my pick-up coils and they are both about 450 OHMS, which is okay, but I have an intermittent problem. Went for a long ride yesterday and two separate times two cylinders stopped firing for about a minute. I figured one of my coils was bad, but realize it could also be a bad pick-up coil, or something else like a bad connection. Just figured I would replace my 30 year old coils and pick-up to be safe. As you know, intermittent problems are hard to figure out, especially since it has never done this before. Thank you Lou for the write-up on magnet polarity. Seem to remember awhile back you helped someone that had taken their pick-up coil assembly apart and got the magnets installed wrong. You all take care!

Robert

1981 KZ550-D1

More
04 Dec 2012 08:06 - 04 Dec 2012 08:09 #561297 by D3
Replied by D3 on topic Pick-up coil question

GPz550D1 wrote: Thank you Lou and MFolks for your replies. I checked the resistance on my pick-up coils and they are both about 450 OHMS, which is okay, but I have an intermittent problem. Went for a long ride yesterday and two separate times two cylinders stopped firing for about a minute. I figured one of my coils was bad, but realize it could also be a bad pick-up coil, or something else like a bad connection. Just figured I would replace my 30 year old coils and pick-up to be safe. As you know, intermittent problems are hard to figure out, especially since it has never done this before. Thank you Lou for the write-up on magnet polarity. Seem to remember awhile back you helped someone that had taken their pick-up coil assembly apart and got the magnets installed wrong. You all take care!

Robert

Hi Robert, how did you go with your intermittent running on two cylinder problem?
I to have very same prob with my D3 Z1R.
Igniter, pickup coils and ignition coils all test ok even when hot (running on two in my garage)
Did you find your problem. Many thanks

[URL[/IMG][/URL]
Last edit: 04 Dec 2012 08:09 by D3.