fenderless taillight kit

• kzkenny
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • My wife says it's a sickness...
More
19 Mar 2011 02:37 #438888 by kzkenny
fenderless taillight kit was created by kzkenny
Can someone tell me who offers a tail light kit that bolts on under the tail after the rear fender has been eliminated? I checked Z1, couldn't find it and I know I've seen it on the forum here about a year or so ago. The one I'm thinking of is kind of a cats eye shape and I'm sure I've heard of one that has signal lights built in as well...thanks in advance for your help

79 kz650SR, fenders and rear shocks from Z1000 classic
78 650c, clubmans, 750 engine,solo seat etc..
65 el camino
Puch scooter and other crap too numerous to mention...

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• wireman
  • User
  • The most interesting prick in the world
More
19 Mar 2011 02:48 #438890 by wireman
Replied by wireman on topic fenderless taillight kit
i think it all depends on tail light you want to use.
but by all means you guys getting rid of z1 and kz tail lights and fenders feel free to pm me so i can take them off your hands! B)

posting from deep under a non-descript barn in an undisclosed location southwest of Omaha.

• andy9802gt
  • User
  • If it tastes that good, eat it yourself.
More
19 Mar 2011 09:29 #438900 by andy9802gt
Replied by andy9802gt on topic fenderless taillight kit
Redline Cycle has them but if I recall they cost an arm and a leg

'78 KZ1075 LTD
stage 1 head by Larry Cavanaugh
race built crank by John Pearson
Mikuni rs34's
k410 cams
back cut tranny
8" over D&G swinger
proving once again that age and treachery is better than youth and enthusiasm

• larrycavan
  • Visitor
19 Mar 2011 10:00 #438908 by larrycavan
Replied by larrycavan on topic fenderless taillight kit

kzkenny wrote: Can someone tell me who offers a tail light kit that bolts on under the tail after the rear fender has been eliminated? I checked Z1, couldn't find it and I know I've seen it on the forum here about a year or so ago. The one I'm thinking of is kind of a cats eye shape and I'm sure I've heard of one that has signal lights built in as well...thanks in advance for your help

You can pick up a tail light off more modern bike and make your own bracket. I used a ZX12 tail light. The bracket took a couple of hours to figure out and make. Light was like $15...

• andy9802gt
  • User
  • If it tastes that good, eat it yourself.
More
19 Mar 2011 10:04 #438909 by andy9802gt
Replied by andy9802gt on topic fenderless taillight kit

Attachment andyskz025.jpg not found

since Larry didn't post a pic

'78 KZ1075 LTD
stage 1 head by Larry Cavanaugh
race built crank by John Pearson
Mikuni rs34's
k410 cams
back cut tranny
8" over D&G swinger
proving once again that age and treachery is better than youth and enthusiasm
Attachments:

• larrycavan
  • Visitor
19 Mar 2011 10:17 - 19 Mar 2011 10:43 #438910 by larrycavan
Replied by larrycavan on topic fenderless taillight kit
Who's that guy sitting there will such great focus ;) Looking good Andy

PS... you might want to look in the clown zone [aka chit chat] :cheer:

Last edit: 19 Mar 2011 10:43 by larrycavan.

More
19 Mar 2011 10:27 #438913 by hal0tw0
Replied by hal0tw0 on topic fenderless taillight kit

larrycavan wrote: Who's that guy sitting there will such great focus ;) Looking good Andy

I cant look at that bike enough....great build Larry

1976 KA900. VM28 pumper carbs, K&N pod fiters, RC performace 4/1 exhaust, Dyna ignition, Accel coils and wires, Ohlins rear shocks.....more to come

• stonemaster
  • Visitor
19 Mar 2011 13:10 #438937 by stonemaster
Replied by stonemaster on topic fenderless taillight kit

larrycavan wrote:

kzkenny wrote: Can someone tell me who offers a tail light kit that bolts on under the tail after the rear fender has been eliminated? I checked Z1, couldn't find it and I know I've seen it on the forum here about a year or so ago. The one I'm thinking of is kind of a cats eye shape and I'm sure I've heard of one that has signal lights built in as well...thanks in advance for your help

You can pick up a tail light off more modern bike and make your own bracket. I used a ZX12 tail light. The bracket took a couple of hours to figure out and make. Light was like $15...

+ 1 on making ur own, go to the hardware (Lowes or Home Depot) they got the metal there, I took my regular tailight on mine, they do make kits, check the Z1 club UK, I saw on over there but they are pricey

More
19 Mar 2011 13:26 #438939 by hal0tw0
Replied by hal0tw0 on topic fenderless taillight kit
ebay a cateye tailight. Not too pricey. I was looking at getting a hyabusa LED tailight because it looked like it would fit the profile. You would then have to fab a metal bracket of some kind. Wont be too hard because they usually have bolts on the light to attach to

1976 KA900. VM28 pumper carbs, K&N pod fiters, RC performace 4/1 exhaust, Dyna ignition, Accel coils and wires, Ohlins rear shocks.....more to come

More
19 Mar 2011 14:30 #438946 by saxjonz
Replied by saxjonz on topic fenderless taillight kit

andy9802gt wrote: Redline Cycle has them but if I recall they cost an arm and a leg

Redline :sick: :sick: :sick: :sick: :pinch: :side: :S :huh: :dry: ;)

79 LTD B3
80 LTD B4 1075 kit JE Pistons .410 cam grind, Bassani, 31 keihin CR Specials...
1980 Z1R, 2002 ZRX1200, 2003 ZRX1200

More
19 Mar 2011 14:47 #438951 by saxjonz
Replied by saxjonz on topic fenderless taillight kit
For the new forum there should be some stickies so that these things get put in an area such as Modding your Bike. Like zrxoa or clubrsx does. Seriously you should fabricate your own bracket. I personally like the whole fender thing but if it's done right like Larry's it looks hella wild but you see his bike is totally streetfighter look. I really love the look of the z1 fender on a custom stretched swingarm with the mostly original looking stuff on the bike. Some mods to improve the bike not to change the looks yet I also like the streetfighter look very much as well. I have two z's one I will experiment with doing all those trick mods to and the other I will keep to looking original modified to the era look.
But make sure to know that when you mod and change everything you are spending and will continue to spend much money and time and effort to get it your way. If you don't like the looks of the bike that you feel you have to change things that much then maybe a newer bike would satisfy you better? I got a zrx1200r and I can tell you that this bike although ugly and too new looking at first really captured my heart and with 7200 miles on the od and all the mods it had for 2900 it was a STEALLLLLL! I spent more than twoce that on parts for my engine when this one stock is strong like bull.

79 LTD B3
80 LTD B4 1075 kit JE Pistons .410 cam grind, Bassani, 31 keihin CR Specials...
1980 Z1R, 2002 ZRX1200, 2003 ZRX1200

• kzkenny
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • My wife says it's a sickness...
More
19 Mar 2011 14:48 #438952 by kzkenny
Replied by kzkenny on topic fenderless taillight kit
That's great guys, nice fit on those lights! Pretty much exactly what I was looking for, I will take your word on the price isssue and just go to my somewahat local(hour and a half away) used bike yard and see what I can find there. thanks..kzk

79 kz650SR, fenders and rear shocks from Z1000 classic
78 650c, clubmans, 750 engine,solo seat etc..
65 el camino
Puch scooter and other crap too numerous to mention...