• Page:

TOPIC:

Lost neutral/ stoplamp/ headlight...? 29 Apr 2006 21:44 #43808

• tjnavyblue
  • tjnavyblue's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 0
Hi guys, I need help.

I recently blew the main fuse on my 1979 kz650 (C) when I was trying to jump start it. I replaced the fuse and tried starting it again and while it was running (after maybe 10 seconds or so) the neutral light, stop lamp, and headlight went out. Bike still starts and runs great. The only light still working in gauge cluster is the oil light (thankfully). The main fuse still looks good as do the other two fuses in the box. The headlight works when switched to the bright mode, but not on dim/regular running mode. Oh, and the blinkers quit too. I'm at my wits end. I've traced nearly every inch of wire on the bike for a bad connection or something. Any thoughts?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Lost neutral/ stoplamp/ headlight...? 29 Apr 2006 22:04 #43811

• wireman
  • Visitor
if you have a multi meter start at the battery and check for power at each connection in the harness.:S

Lost neutral/ stoplamp/ headlight...? 29 Apr 2006 22:04 #43812

• Sandy
  • User
  • Fly High,Tony
  • Thank you received: 13
Welcome,Bud.
Have You checked for continuity in the bulbs,and fuses?
Even though the fuses LOOK good,there can still be a break in them.Make sure the fuse holders are clean too.
Start there and We can all help You narrow it down.Do You have a multi-meter and a test-light?
1977 KZ1000 A-1

Lost neutral/ stoplamp/ headlight...? 29 Apr 2006 22:27 #43813

• wireman
  • Visitor
im looking at a kz1000a2 wiring diagragm hi-low beam have common power supply,so im thinking the bulb might have blown.everything else seems to originate from ignition switch,but before you tear ignition switch apart check the rest of your bulbs you might have smoked a ground wire also check all connections to a good ground when testing for power. ;)

Lost neutral/ stoplamp/ headlight...? 06 May 2006 22:45 #45619

• tjnavyblue
  • tjnavyblue's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 0
Ah HA! Got it.

My electrical skills are below the radar. I bought a new pair of rear blinkers when I repainted my frame and when I wired them I apparently crossed a few wires. I had both grounds connected to one blinker and both hots connected to the other.

Oh well, I spruced up the wiring a bit before I found the problem so not all is lost.

Thanks for the hints.

Lost neutral/ stoplamp/ headlight...? 07 May 2006 03:13 #45631

• indykaw77
  • User
  • Thank you received: 4
We all done stuff we aint proud of....at least ya figured it out and was (most likely) a lo-$$ fix.
Kawasaki Motorcycles...because cars lean th wrong way!

• Page: