KZ650 F1 charging system

More
12 Mar 2011 00:12 #437239 by SteveMS
KZ650 F1 charging system was created by SteveMS
Been a long time since I posted here, so please go easy on me.

Since I last posted, I have now got my 1980 F1 running and not too far from going on the road. My problem is my rectifier/regulator died and I have a spare but the spare is only a 4 wire, not 5 wire. On the F1 the 5th wire (brown) is part of the brake light system (switch). Can I run with this spare rectifier/regulator and what can I do about the brown wire (5th)?

Also, can anyone tell me the gauss of the magnets in the flywheel as I suspect I am not getting full power when generating. I do need to reclean my connections. What also is a minimum power out put from the alternator? I am getting 12.5 to 13 VDC at battery when engine running. Should be about 14.5VDC. I do also need to run the bike at road revs as at present I am not.

Need any more information?

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
12 Mar 2011 05:22 - 12 Mar 2011 05:25 #437268 by Old Man Rock
Replied by Old Man Rock on topic KZ650 F1 charging system
brown wire is the ~ 12Vdc to the ignition switch in this wiring diagram so required....

What's the spare unit from... We may be able to help ya but require Conductor Color code?

FREE OEM Manual....

jarlef.no/Kawasaki/Series/Z/650/z650files.htm

KZ650-F1 1980 Wiring Diagram:

1976 KZ900-A4
MTC 1075cc.
Camshafts: Kawi GPZ-1100 .375 lift
Head: P&P via Larry Cavanaugh
ZX636 suspension
MIKUNI, RS-34'S...
Kerker 4-1, 1.5" comp baffle.
Dyna-S E.I.
Earls 10 row Oil Cooler
Acewell 2802 Series Speedo/Tach
Innovate LC1 Wideband 02 AFR meter

Phoenix, Az
Attachments:
Last edit: 12 Mar 2011 05:25 by Old Man Rock.

More
12 Mar 2011 05:26 #437269 by Old Man Rock
Your spare one like this one?

1976 KZ900-A4
MTC 1075cc.
ZX636 suspension
MIKUNI, RS-34'S...
Dyna-S E.I.
Earls 10 row Oil Cooler

Phoenix, Az
Attachments:

More
12 Mar 2011 06:00 #437276 by Patton
Replied by Patton on topic KZ650 F1 charging system
For any viewer that might be unaware, may click on the above posted wiring diagrams to enlarge the views.

Good Fortune! :)

1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD

More
12 Mar 2011 06:27 #437283 by Old Man Rock
Oh what a good little MOD you are... KZ Gods, give the old dog a bone will ya... :P :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

1976 KZ900-A4
MTC 1075cc.
ZX636 suspension
MIKUNI, RS-34'S...
Dyna-S E.I.
Earls 10 row Oil Cooler

Phoenix, Az

More
12 Mar 2011 10:44 #437373 by SteveMS
Replied by SteveMS on topic KZ650 F1 charging system
The regulator/rectifier is as per the B3/C3l looks like it does not really matter the brown wire.

I have the wiring diagram and I also have the manual.

As for what the regulator/rectifier is off, I have no idea. I got the bike as a complete basket case all in parts.

Meant also to say, I have Dyna right through for my ignition - coils etc. with the Wiregeorge mod.

More
12 Mar 2011 11:04 #437377 by loudhvx
Replied by loudhvx on topic KZ650 F1 charging system
The Dyna S with 3 ohm coils will use more power than the stock system. That could explain the apparent reduction in charging power.

The brown wire is what the regulator uses to sense the system voltage in order to regulate the system voltage. Some reg/rec don't need the brown wire because they sense the system voltage at the output wire. The B3 is like that. In that case you just don't do anything with the brown wire on the harness except tape it up so it doesn't short out. It has 12v on it.

More
12 Mar 2011 11:15 #437381 by SteveMS
Loudhvx. Thanks for that, I may indeed stick with what I have then and I think with the wiredgeorge mod that is a fair call as it does take full VDC from battery and will load up the system trying to charge the battery. Running at idle also is not going to get charge back into battery. So I do need to get the bike onto the road sooner than later to keep charge into battery.

Thanks.

Old Man Rock, is this comment a tounge-in-cheek comment "Oh what a good little MOD you are... KZ Gods, give the old dog a bone will ya..." or you taking the piss? If your taking the piss, I have come here seeking help.

More
12 Mar 2011 11:52 #437391 by Patton
SteveMS wrote:

...Old Man Rock, is this comment a tounge-in-cheek comment "Oh what a good little MOD you are... KZ Gods, give the old dog a bone will ya..."....

Just his way of expressing Love and Admiration :laugh: and concurring with the "click-to-enlarge" feature on the excellent wiring diagrams. :cheer:

Mercifully, most of the unprintable material is reserved to the PM's. :woohoo:

Good Fortune! :)

1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD

More
12 Mar 2011 11:58 - 12 Mar 2011 12:07 #437393 by Old Man Rock
EDIT: Never mind....

Good luck on your repair...

1976 KZ900-A4
MTC 1075cc.
ZX636 suspension
MIKUNI, RS-34'S...
Dyna-S E.I.
Earls 10 row Oil Cooler

Phoenix, Az
Last edit: 12 Mar 2011 12:07 by Old Man Rock.

More
12 Mar 2011 12:28 #437402 by SteveMS
Patton, it certainly would not take a numb-nut to figure out that by hovering over the diagrams (the hand gives it away) that the diagrams can be enlarged. I have also come here to gain some answers, not have the piss taken. Loudhvx looks to have answered the question I have asked.

The wiring diagrams, I have sucked off the internet, in particular for my model which is not a Canadian/US model(no day running lights down here in NZ) but mostly the same diagram. I have concerned myself more with the F1 rather than the C3, that is why I have been specific with my heading 'KZ650 F1'.....anyway I have my problem sorted.

More
12 Mar 2011 13:39 - 12 Mar 2011 13:40 #437416 by Patton
SteveMS wrote:

...1980 F1...rectifier/regulator died...spare is only a 4 wire, not 5 wire. On the F1 the 5th wire (brown) is part of the brake light system (switch). Can I run with this spare rectifier/regulator and what can I do about the brown wire (5th)?...
Any help is greatly appreciated.

You're Welcome! :)

SteveMS wrote:

Meant also to say, I have Dyna right through for my ignition - coils etc.

loudhvx wrote:

The Dyna S with 3 ohm coils will use more power than the stock system. That could explain the apparent reduction in charging power.
The brown wire is what the regulator uses to sense the system voltage in order to regulate the system voltage. Some reg/rec don't need the brown wire because they sense the system voltage at the output wire. The B3 is like that. In that case you just don't do anything with the brown wire on the harness except tape it up so it doesn't short out. It has 12v on it.

SteveMS wrote:

Patton, it certainly would not take a numb-nut to figure out that by hovering over the diagrams (the hand gives it away) that the diagrams can be enlarged. I have also come here to gain some answers, not have the piss taken. Loudhvx looks to have answered the question I have asked.

Lou is typically spot on in his answers. :cheer:

On behalf of all viewers, THANK YOU, Lou! :cheer:

Meanwhile, an occasional viewer is sometimes unaware of the click-to-enlarge feature and may appreciate being reminded. Rare is the bird who resents a friendly reminder to others. ;)

And btw, many readers, including some numb-nuts, have long known that Dyna S with 3 ohm coils uses more power than the stock system, and that a rectifier's unused hot brown wire should be taped off. B)

SteveMS wrote:

...anyway I have my problem sorted.

Congratulations! :cheer:

Forum threads are by their nature intended to benefit numerous other viewers. And no doubt many of them have indeed learned something from this thread. ;)

1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD
Last edit: 12 Mar 2011 13:40 by Patton.