Electric speedometer?

More
10 Mar 2011 15:54 #436860 by les holt
Electric speedometer? was created by les holt
I'm building a Z1R custom as some of you may know, My target was to use as much Kawasaki parts as possible but opted to use autometer gauges. In doing so I need a speed sensor to run the speedometer. I got to thinking I could use a speed sensor off a newer sportbike. Not having 1 to look at, how do they pick up their signals? Is it off tabs on the sprocket or possibly off the teeth themselves? Also, I need the pinouts off the sensor to hook up mine. Does anyone have any resources for this info?
Thanks guys!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
11 Mar 2011 14:23 #437095 by NZGlenn
Replied by NZGlenn on topic Electric speedometer?
I've been looking at another form of speedo as the old cable etc is too inaccurate, especially as the cops over here are cracking down on speeding. They don't have quotas just have to issue so many speeding tickets per shift!

Anyway, I reckon the way to go would be a gps speedo. I know you can get tomtom/garmin/etc, but I haven't seen one that actually is designed as a speedo. That would be pretty cool:woohoo:

1984 GPz1100A2

• tachrev
  • User
  • Rubber Side Goes Down
More
12 Mar 2011 07:37 #437319 by tachrev
Replied by tachrev on topic Electric speedometer?
I think most modern sport bike speedometer sensors pick up their signal from the counter shaft in the trans.

The magnet is not on the sprocket itself.

1977 Kawasaki KZ1000 : Street/Strip
Build Thread

More
12 Mar 2011 10:23 #437368 by les holt
Replied by les holt on topic Electric speedometer?
I had assumed that the newer sportbikes would use a hall effect sensor "3 wire" where a magnet isn't required, only needs to read a ferris material passing by it. Guess I'll look elsewhere. Thanks

More
13 Mar 2011 05:59 #437605 by les holt
Replied by les holt on topic Electric speedometer?
Got it, using a speed sensor off an 03 ZX6, turns out to be a 3 wire hall effect sensor, exactly what I needed.

• tachrev
  • User
  • Rubber Side Goes Down
More
13 Mar 2011 09:10 #437654 by tachrev
Replied by tachrev on topic Electric speedometer?
Cool, good to know.Wasn't thinking hall effect for some reason.

Makes more sense.

I just found out that the CBR900RR uses a hex drive off the sprocket bolt. The sensor bolts inside the sprocket cover.

Might be something else to look at.

1977 Kawasaki KZ1000 : Street/Strip
Build Thread