plug wire choices

More
04 Aug 2011 12:38 #466794 by sbulla
Replied by sbulla on topic plug wire choices

clutch wrote: Would an acewell computer be considered a "complex electronic"???

I had to run resistor plugs to get my Acewell's tach function to operate smoothly.

Sonny

Now----
1980 KZ1000 LTD (Kerker 4-1, K&N pods, Dyna gray coils)

Gone but not forgotten----
1966 Honda 305 Superhawk
1969 HD 350 Sprint
1971 500 H1
1972 250 F8
1972 750 H2
1973 KX250
1995 HD Sportster 1200
2000 HD Softail
2002 KLR650

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
04 Aug 2011 14:26 #466812 by loudhvx
Replied by loudhvx on topic plug wire choices
Yes, modern, digital tach is similar to a digital multimeter, and I've had plenty of problems with digital meters on bikes with solid core wires.

If the bike is entirely old school, then solid core is fine.

I wish I could figure out a way for the ignition to wipe out all cell phone useage for a 1 block radius. :ohmy:

More
04 Aug 2011 14:38 #466814 by mtbspeedfreak
Replied by mtbspeedfreak on topic plug wire choices

loudhvx wrote: I wish I could figure out a way for the ignition to wipe out all cell phone useage for a 1 block radius. :ohmy:

Talk to Otakar about a little electronics package he cooked up :evil:

Alright, so if I mount a DeLorme GPS on my handlbar and don't have suppression wires or caps, I'd need to run resistor plugs, right?

2000 ZRX 1100
1976 KZ 900- Daily Driver
1980 LTD 550- Dalton Highway survivor!

If it has tits or tires, it'll give you problems!

More
04 Aug 2011 14:44 #466815 by MFolks
Replied by MFolks on topic plug wire choices
Maybe something like this?( I didn't build this, but found it on the internet)

Cell phone killer

A strong magnetic field can kill all types of electronic stuff including a cell phone.

There are lots ill mannered people using cell phones in public places! I totally despise mindless gabbling, where you can't escape, or the bad manners of people of all ages who seem to think their affairs (literal as well as figurative) will interest all within hearing range. They even raise their voices, so everyone can hear. How nice! Who cares what Isle your in at Wal Mart. So what. Shut up!!

I have built myself a cell phone killer. When ever I am standing in line at the post office or setting in a resteraunt or some other places where some loud mouth won't shut up I permantly turn off his cell phone. It is a 40,000. MFD 200 volt DC capacitor connected to about 1000 turns of #24 wire wound in a circle. The coil of wire is 1" inside diameter about 2" outside diameter and 1" wide. I use a 1.5 volt DC battery and a flash unit from a throw away camera to charge the capacitor. A push button discharges the capacitor into the coil of wire which produces a very powerful EMP, Electro Magnetic Pulse. It has a range of about 3 feet. I walk over near the loud mouth with the cell phone, push the button then walk away. There is no sound so they don't know anything happened. It will also destroy a radio, TV set, a computer and anything electronic within range.

This device will super charge a tiny magnet. A 1/2 inch diameter speaker magnet from a small speaker has the power to pick up a few ounces of metal. I can pulse the magnet with EMP and it will lift 200 lbs with a winch for about 4 seconds. The magnet field has a half live of about 2 seconds. The tiny magnet returns to normal power in about 20 seconds.

Makes you wonder how it would affect bike's and cars ignition systems?

1982 GPZ1100 B2
General Dynamics/Convair 1983-1993
GLCM BGM-109 Tomahawk, AGM-129A Advanced Cruise Missile (ACM)

More
04 Aug 2011 14:57 - 04 Aug 2011 14:58 #466820 by loudhvx

mtbspeedfreak wrote:

loudhvx wrote: I wish I could figure out a way for the ignition to wipe out all cell phone useage for a 1 block radius. :ohmy:

Talk to Otakar about a little electronics package he cooked up :evil:

Heh, yeah, we'll have to discuss further. B)

mtbspeedfreak wrote:
Alright, so if I mount a DeLorme GPS on my handlbar and don't have suppression wires or caps, I'd need to run resistor plugs, right?

Since GPS devices are designed to be receivers, I think they would have their shielding and filtering designed to eliminate stray RF better than other devices like tachometers etc. Otto's gps doesn't seem to mind his solid wires, so yours may be ok as well. You could try the solid wires and change to resistor caps or resistor plugs later if it causes problems. I personally don't like the resistor caps or plugs. They seem to fail more often than resistor wire, so if it was me, I'd just be getting resistor wire (aka suppression wire).
Last edit: 04 Aug 2011 14:58 by loudhvx.

More
04 Aug 2011 15:14 #466821 by loudhvx

MFolks wrote: Maybe something like this?( I didn't build this, but found it on the internet)

Cell phone killer

A strong magnetic field can kill all types of electronic stuff including a cell phone.

There are lots ill mannered people using cell phones in public places! I totally despise mindless gabbling, where you can't escape, or the bad manners of people of all ages who seem to think their affairs (literal as well as figurative) will interest all within hearing range. They even raise their voices, so everyone can hear. How nice! Who cares what Isle your in at Wal Mart. So what. Shut up!!

I have built myself a cell phone killer. When ever I am standing in line at the post office or setting in a resteraunt or some other places where some loud mouth won't shut up I permantly turn off his cell phone. It is a 40,000. MFD 200 volt DC capacitor connected to about 1000 turns of #24 wire wound in a circle. The coil of wire is 1" inside diameter about 2" outside diameter and 1" wide. I use a 1.5 volt DC battery and a flash unit from a throw away camera to charge the capacitor. A push button discharges the capacitor into the coil of wire which produces a very powerful EMP, Electro Magnetic Pulse. It has a range of about 3 feet. I walk over near the loud mouth with the cell phone, push the button then walk away. There is no sound so they don't know anything happened. It will also destroy a radio, TV set, a computer and anything electronic within range.

This device will super charge a tiny magnet. A 1/2 inch diameter speaker magnet from a small speaker has the power to pick up a few ounces of metal. I can pulse the magnet with EMP and it will lift 200 lbs with a winch for about 4 seconds. The magnet field has a half live of about 2 seconds. The tiny magnet returns to normal power in about 20 seconds.

Makes you wonder how it would affect bike's and cars ignition systems?

I like the idea, and it may work, but some of the science there seems off, at least at first glance.

An EMP is an electro-magnetic pulse, not to be confused with a magnetic pulse, or an electric pulse. A magnetic field, created by an electro-magnet, is not necessarily an electro-magnetic pulse. An electro-magnetic pulse is a radio pulse.

A charged particle, not moving, creates an electric field.
A charged particle, moving, creates a magnetic field, and a moving electric field.
A charged particle, accelerating, creates a moving magnetic field, and a moving electric field, which together create an electro-magnetic wave... which is a radio wave.

I believe it is the radio wave that would wipe out the cell phone service, not just a strong magnetic field. Don't cell phones still work near permanent magnets? (I don't know.)

Permanent magnets are just objects which have their electrons spinning in the same direction. This only creates a magnetic field. The electric field of each electron is cancelled out by the electric field of the protons, so unless it is charged like a capacitor, the permanent magnet will not be creating an electric field, only a magnetic field, and thus no electro-magnetic field.

This is also true of a coil being fed by steady-state DC current. It only creates a magnetic field, even though it is an electro-magnet. Thats where the terminology gets mixed up.

• clutch
  • User
  • I wish I had a tad more patience to do it better!
More
04 Aug 2011 15:19 #466823 by clutch
Replied by clutch on topic plug wire choices
EMP fries electronics and circuit boards....I wouldn't try this method because it could end up costing you a lot of money in court replacing anyone's damaged personal property....bad idea all around...

Southern Maryland, USA

1980 KZ250 LTD (traded, but still missed)
1982 KZ750 E3 (Cafe Project) (Dyna-S, Dyna Coils, V&H 4-1, K&N Pods, 6 Sigma Jet Kit, Acewell Computer, Woodcraft Clip-ons, Custom Rewire)
1966 A1 Samurai (Restoration Project)

Wish List:
KZ1000 P (For a "touring" bike)
Z1 (need I...

More
04 Aug 2011 15:49 - 04 Aug 2011 15:55 #466826 by otakar
Replied by otakar on topic plug wire choices
I don't even use a bike specific GPS. It is a standard Garmin NUVI. The distance from the coils to the GPS is no more than 12" As far as the cell phone jammer is concerned, it only works about 50' There are stronger ones that will work farther. You can find them all over the web from China.

This is the one I have
www.focusdeal.ca/index.php?main_page=pro...fo&products_id=16448

74 Z1-A stock
76 KZ-900 Totaly stock vice MAC pipe
77 KZ-1000A stock
78 Z1-R 100%MINT 500 original Mi.
78 Z1-R Yoshi 1103 kit stage 1 cams Yoshi pipe. Etc
79 KZ-1300 (1400)
80 KZ-1300
81 Scratch built GPz1150R
82 KZ1000
Last edit: 04 Aug 2011 15:55 by otakar.