Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

Left me stranded 27 Apr 2006 22:42 #43352

• Sputnic81
  • Sputnic81's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 0
Well I rode into work today with a friend of mine. When we got into work he mentioned that my headlight was not on. I thought it was odd since I had just passed safety inspection 4 hours earlier. Once the bike cooled down-headlight worked just fine.

On the way home was another story. Started it up and warmed it. Got about 2 miles from work and the headlight went out again. I get off work at 1130 at night so this time it was a little more important. Luckily, I was riding with the same friend and I used his light to get me back to work.

Long question short--anyone know what would cause the headlight to cut out when the engine is warmed and function when at cooler temps?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Left me stranded 28 Apr 2006 02:24 #43361

• Max2022
  • User
ground. again.

Left me stranded 28 Apr 2006 04:12 #43363

• Nevco48
  • User
  • Thank you received: 3
Bad grounds can cause all sorts of problems that will have you pulling your hair out. Ask anyone who has tried to keep all the lights going on an old plow frame. Weird stuff goes on when the ground isn't dependable.
Also, check the harness for any loose connectors. I had to track down a "gremlin" causing my 750 to die on occasion, found a loose push-in connector under the tank. I cleaned and greased every electrical bit I could find, and the bike runs like a top now.
That Dielectric grease- it comes in a teeny, expensive tube- don't drop it in your driveway and run it over with your truck. Just a suggestion...:whistle:

Left me stranded 28 Apr 2006 13:23 #43447

• loudhvx
  • KZr Legend
  • Thank you received: 1615
... or dirty connections in the fuse box.

Left me stranded 22 May 2006 00:15 #49034

• Sputnic81
  • User
Actually it turned out to be a burned up connector. The 4-pin just off of the fuse block to be exact. It was a blue (or blue and white I don't remember off the top of my head) wire. Corroded from storage then got hot and melted the whole deal. Replaced that (thank God for parts bikes) and I am back on the road.

Left me stranded 22 May 2006 18:49 #49276

• DanOz7Five0
  • User
Id cheack your charging system while you are at it. There must be some reason it got hot correct?

Just to be safe, start the bike and put a multitester on the battry. I think (someone else jump in here) you want about 14.5 volts max

Left me stranded 22 May 2006 20:40 #49319

• loudhvx
  • KZr Legend
DanOz7Five0 wrote:

Id cheack your charging system while you are at it. There must be some reason it got hot correct?

Just to be safe, start the bike and put a multitester on the battry. I think (someone else jump in here) you want about 14.5 volts max

A bad connection gets hot all on its own. A bad connection has significant resistance which causes heat when significant current flows through it.

Left me stranded 22 May 2006 20:49 #49326

• DanOz7Five0
  • User
Thanks for clearing that up Lou. I just get nervous about burned wiring after melting the ground, and burnign out a coil on the 78 SR I was going to buy and burning out the regulator in my current bike once, from jumpstarting both times.

Left me stranded 22 May 2006 20:59 #49330

• JUSTICE114
  • User
  • Thank you received: 1
Dude, Trouble shoot the whole elec-system and make sure its ALL up to par. Just from experience and not doin that MYSELF.:( Yup, fried the whole elec-system on my bike cause of a bad connection!:angry: I dont know a darn thing about it but, I can bet you my last dollar I will learn about it when i have to re-wire the whole darn thing.:unsure: Better to be safe then fried... or sorry... how ever it goes.B)

Left me stranded 23 May 2006 06:50 #49385

• loudhvx
  • KZr Legend
DanOz7Five0 wrote:

Thanks for clearing that up Lou. I just get nervous about burned wiring after melting the ground, and burnign out a coil on the 78 SR I was going to buy and burning out the regulator in my current bike once, from jumpstarting both times.

Ouch. I hear ya on being nervous with burned wire. It wouldn't hurt to make sure everything is working, but he'll need to know how to use an amp meter (which can cause shorts if used improperly).

Left me stranded 23 May 2006 11:14 #49431

• Sputnic81
  • User
My plan was to go through the eletricals this winter. I have a friend who is an electronics guru, and can help me out with testing everything to ensure it is all with in specs. I may move that up and get it done a little faster. I still plan on doing a limited teardown this winter to paint some things. At that time I am going to pull the wiring harness and take it all down and replace any spliced/corroded. or otherwise crappy wires.

For the short term I will get a multi-meter and check my charging system and such just to be on the safe side. While I had all the connectors out of the plastic casing, I gave all a little acid dip and rinse then coated with the dielectic (sp?) grease that everyone raves about. Should keep the resistance down there.

Thanks for the help and advise guys.

• Page: