Minimal wiring? KZ1000 P13

More
18 Feb 2011 05:59 #431485 by pennmktg
Minimal wiring? KZ1000 P13 was created by pennmktg
Building a chopper using a 94 kz1000 p13 donor bike. Wow there is one hell of a wiring harness that I don't want! lol Does anyone know what the least amount of wiring would be needed to make it run? All I want is charging, power for lights and spark. I'm new to Kawasaki so any wire color coding and other details will help a ton! Thanks in advance, Travis.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
18 Feb 2011 06:19 #431497 by dejavoodo41
Replied by dejavoodo41 on topic Minimal wiring? KZ1000 P13
All I have on mine is headlight wired straight to the battery with a 3 way switch for high/low beam with the middle position being off. The tail and brake lights wired to through the ignition switch a switch for the starter. I only have 2 fuses. one for the lights and a main fuse. This setup has worked great for me and I have found that here people tend to respond better to an arm waving around than they do a blinking light. I should probably put a horn on it eventually in case I get pulled over for a safety inspection.

1977 KZ1000A With 1980 KZ1000A MKII engine, Wiseco 1105 kit, Dyna S Ignition, 3 Ohm Dyna Coils, Cams, Mikuni RS34 Carbs, Vance and Hines Pro Pipe with Comp Baffle

New Smyrna Beach, FL

More
18 Feb 2011 06:25 #431501 by pennmktg
Replied by pennmktg on topic Minimal wiring? KZ1000 P13
Do you happen to remember how you wired the engine? Right now I'm starting with the pigtails coming out of the engine. I couldn't tell what went where on the original harness. Things like voltage regulator and proper ignition wiring are my most immediate concerns. Thanks for your help!

More
18 Feb 2011 13:26 - 18 Feb 2011 13:29 #431585 by dejavoodo41
Replied by dejavoodo41 on topic Minimal wiring? KZ1000 P13
I'm not real sure on exactly how I wired it up as it was a couple of years ago. I basicly just started from scratch and used a generic fuse block that takes the large size blade fuses. I'm running a Dana S with the Green Coils so I wired the ignition up by instructions for that and the rest of it I just figured out as I went. ie. tail light has to be on when the key (used a generic ignition switch that I got from JP cycles) is on and wired it accordingly, the headlight I went straight to the battery so I just have to remember to shut it off when I stop riding. The only thing that I messed up on was I wired the starter straight to the battery so the engine will turn over with out the key on and since there is no clutch interlock I just make sure to put it in neutral when I leave the bike incase some idiot messes with it. Where I work I have actually came out and found on my bike. The last time they were a couple of very nice looking young ladies so I wasn't too hard on them. I guess they thought that my bike was better for sexy picture taking than the 2 Harleys and the CBR that I was parked next to.....lol Sorry I can't be more help. It was actually pretty easy once I figured out where everything was going. Just sit down and try to figure out a game plan so you have an idea what you are wanting to accomplish before you start

1977 KZ1000A With 1980 KZ1000A MKII engine, Wiseco 1105 kit, Dyna S Ignition, 3 Ohm Dyna Coils, Cams, Mikuni RS34 Carbs, Vance and Hines Pro Pipe with Comp Baffle

New Smyrna Beach, FL
Last edit: 18 Feb 2011 13:29 by dejavoodo41.

More
18 Feb 2011 16:33 #431616 by pennmktg
Replied by pennmktg on topic Minimal wiring? KZ1000 P13
Thanks again for the help man. Oh and the photo-op thing with the girls is classic! lol