• Page:

TOPIC:

turn signals wont work 88 kz1000p 04 Feb 2011 19:49 #428606

• gop rider
  • gop rider's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • No, im not a cop.....!
  • Thank you received: 0
Little history 1st, i bought the bike i had electrical issues, turn signals intermittent, and no self canceling or hazard lights were working. I had to manually switch the turn signal on and off. I replaced both the thermal 2 prong relays with ones ones from the auto store and I managed to get the signals working steady, but no hazard of self cancel, i could live without em. Today 5 mos later i decided to ride to work, and the turn signals wouldn't work at all. Again solid running and brake light, no flash signal. i checked signal light fuse in the fuse box 1st, that was fine, then i replaced both relays again, cheap shot in the dark, no dice. I need a logical next step, before i start replacing turn signal switch, regulators, rectifiers, or self canceling unit,etc, i did check wires and connectors, didn't find anything obvious. Anyhow i checked the archives an saw some advice but nothing specifically related to my problem, any help would be appreciated, thanks
Gop Rider
50 something dude
Richland, Wa, USA
HAD>02 xlh1200 sporty
HAVE>88 kz1000p
NEED>beer, bikes, guitars, and holdem poker!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

turn signals wont work 88 kz1000p 04 Feb 2011 20:13 #428617

• MFolks
  • User
  • Thank you received: 540
1982 GPZ1100 B2
General Dynamics/Convair 1983-1993
GLCM BGM-109 Tomahawk, AGM-129A Advanced Cruise Missile (ACM)

turn signals wont work 88 kz1000p 04 Feb 2011 20:26 #428622

• Patton
  • KZr Legend
  • Thank you received: 2098
gop rider wrote:

...replaced both the thermal 2 prong relays....

Older relay design is "thermal" and newer relay design is electronic.

Electronic relays work better and last longer.

Both styles are usually available at auto parts stores.

Would install electronic style relay which may resolve the issue.

Good Fortune! :)
1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD

Last edit: by Patton.

turn signals wont work 88 kz1000p 04 Feb 2011 21:23 #428631

• gop rider
  • User
  • No, im not a cop.....!
Thanks guys, I'll stick with the tin can relays, they were working and cheap! I own the clymer repair maint manual, so i have the exact diagram, and of course the trouble shooting of this looks daunting, guess i'll try cleaning the switch 1st an go from there..l8tr
50 something dude
Richland, Wa, USA
HAD>02 xlh1200 sporty
HAVE>88 kz1000p

turn signals wont work 88 kz1000p 11 Feb 2011 18:17 #430079

• newOld_kz1000
  • User
  • FlimFlamFlibbityFlee !! BoonFryedShickaMuhZee !!
  • Thank you received: 20
I just solved this same problem.

It was a 1981 Honda 900 Custom.

So here were the symptoms:
- turn signals have 2 modes of operation:
1) running light, always on (fronts only)
2) flashing to indicate a turn (front and rear)

- the running lights in the front were working

- no flashing

I replaced the bulbs, no change.

The problem was: THE GROUND WAS NOT CONNECTED.

The bike came with a fairing which I took off then put on the original headlight ears/turn signal stems/headlight (luckily the prior owner still had those and I got them with the bike).

So I started looking for a ground wire. NONE!
The dang bike picked up its ground through metal contact of the fork ears onto the triple clamp and I had assembled the original parts wrong.

I bet on your bike there is a dedicated ground wire that fits on the inside threaded part of the turn signal stems -- check your ground.

After I correctly grounded the things, not only were the running lights still working, the turn signals were too.

I do not know *why* the running lights worked but the turn signals just came on brighter and did not flash before I fixed the grounding problem. I stop trying to solve mysteries once I see stuff working....;)
1978 kz1000 A2 with Kerker
1980 Z1 Classic with Kerker

turn signals wont work 88 kz1000p 23 Feb 2011 19:25 #433024

• gop rider
  • User
  • No, im not a cop.....!
Hi,
thanks newOLD_kz1000 for the info with your grounding issue. My turn signals have ground wires coming out of the stem and grounded right there. My faring etc is still on, stock,,,anyhow, that's one of the 1st things I checked for bad grounds and wires. I wasn't blowing fuses. So I had a bad connection somewhere on the circuit. I found a lot of electrical help from a couple guys and some files on the yahoo group "KZP1000". They are all about KZ1000P models, so I had some bike/model specific help from other owners. I'm not promoting another bike web site, this site is great. I stayed at it checking wires 1st, relays, fuses, checking and cleaning connections from fuse box on up harness to switch cluster. I opened up switch and used electronic cleaner,rocking both switches hazard and signal, I am told if your hazard switch is stuck open it will cancel the turn signal. A dab of white grease on switches. Long story short, I fixed the problem after all this trouble shooting, and cleaning contacts etc. I call this a "ghost" fault cause I never found the exact cause of the problem. I have been riding to an from work lately, its 25/30% when I go and 40/45 % home trip. Thank God I live 10 mins from work. I wanna come clean and say I borrowed this picture as my image of another kz1000p here in the gallery. I plan on doing some resto work soon and will take some pics. L8tr guys..
ride safe
GOP RIDER
50 something dude
Richland, Wa, USA
HAD>02 xlh1200 sporty
HAVE>88 kz1000p

turn signals wont work 88 kz1000p 16 Oct 2018 05:32 #792360

• KZP1000
  • User
I had the same problems with my 2000 kzp. Mine was a combination of a bad ground on the rear crash bar and bad relays. I never got the hazards working though but i can live without those. Anyone know if the hazards have a different relay? Thanks.

turn signals wont work 88 kz1000p 16 Oct 2018 07:51 #792367

• loudhvx
  • KZr Legend
  • Thank you received: 1615
Yes, hazards are on a different relay. The hazard relay has an orange/green wire and a white/blue wire.

• Page: