73 z1 dyna installed but...

More
04 Feb 2011 06:08 #428338 by BadAssRX7
Replied by BadAssRX7 on topic 73 z1 dyna installed but...
Patton wrote:

Just to confirm understanding that the advancer involved here is the early style oem on 1973 Z1.

F mark should align at idle rpm when using a strobe type timing light (dynamic timing method) or when using a bulb or ohmmeter to determine moment of points opening (static timing method).

May use same timing procedure with Dyna-S as used with points.
The same advancer is still used.
The coil still fires at moment when the primary winding becomes un-grounded.

If a later model advancer has been fitted, it doesn't matter.
Use the F mark and proceed accordingly.

Good Fortune! :)

YEP GOT THE 1ST PIC ADVANCER

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
04 Feb 2011 06:13 #428340 by BadAssRX7
Patton wrote:

NOTE -- The early and late advancers use different Dyna-S rotors.
Early advancer uses a special "3A" rotor with Dyna-S.
Later advancer uses the standard "3" rotor with Dyna-S.

If not already done, would assure that the correct Dyna-S rotor is being used for the particular advancer fitted.

Click > www.z1enterprises.com/detail.aspx?ID=200

Dyna-S Electronic Ignition DS2-1 - Kawasaki Z1 KZ900 KZ1000
DYDS2-1

OEM: DS2-1-

1 year factory warranty - for Kawasaki Z1 KZ900 KZ1000 KZ1100 - set and forget - no more messing with points... creates a stronger more consistent spark

If you have a 73 Z1 or an early 74 Z1A, we may need to supply a different crank rotor. Up through engine number Z1F-32817 kawasaki installed a 5/40 degree mechanical advancer (normal fire mark is 5 degrees then advancing to 40 degrees). If you have one of these on your engine, please enter a note in the special instructions to replace the standard rotor (3 rotor) in the Dyna-S with one special for these early bikes (3A rotor).)
As many advancers have been swapped from bike to bike, please check before ordering.

ITS A 73 Z1 AND ABOUT THE MIDDLE ON THE ENGINE SERIAL NUMBERS FOR THAT YEAR. WE HAVE READ AND CHECKED TO MAKE SURE THE RIGHT PARTS ARE IN PLACE. EVEN SENT DYNA TE PARTS TO GET THEM CHECKED OUT. I GUESS ITS JUST NOW SET DEADBALLS ON TIME SO IT NEEDS SOME TWEEKING

More
04 Feb 2011 06:18 #428341 by Patton
Replied by Patton on topic 73 z1 dyna installed but...
BadAssRX7 wrote:

YEP GOT THE 1ST PIC ADVANCER

The pics show points cam style rotor which is replaced with special "3A" Dyna-S rotor when using the early advancer.

Am unaware of the difference between "3" rotor and "3A" rotor, and don't know how to tell by looking at it, but would guess it has something to do with location of the embedded magnet.

1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD

More
05 Feb 2011 19:21 #428862 by BadAssRX7
well I screwed with the timing all night and early this am and NEVER could get it close to both being on the "F". I extended the slots to allow more adjustment and finally i had a HUGE brain fart. if you look at the flat metal base it is not a mirror of its self on both sides... there is just a small bit of change so I said im gonna flip the base over and see what happens.
Well i first saw a light hint at a stamped 4 digit number after flipping the base and then after i put it all back on the base and slide it into the bike and timed 1-4 i saw that i had a nice amount of useable adjustment left, then went to check timing on 2 3 and it was just a hair off. and it to had plenty of room to turn the slots.
So I have a feeling that they dont realise the boards are getting fliped around and this makes people alter the adjusting slots. after getting it all hooked back upand ready to run the owner walked over and i explained the above stuff to him. we flipped the switch and hit the starter. INSTANT fireup. rock solid running no poping or any such items that i had almost labled as just part of being a old school bike. the owner said man i think its finshed im gonna go get my gear and test drive it. I said let me clean up some tools and ill drag out the zzr and we will go for a test ride. and in the 20 miles we rode ... in town and a little country roads. i never heard it fart burp bitch or complain. after about 6 or 7 miles he tales me man its running like it did back in the day... shes finally done. and to see the joy in his face as he rolled out onto the road infront of me ... and hammerd down on it with no issues other than my 05 600 walking all up on his 900 from 73.

long story short? ITS FINISHED! and before you start adjusting the base plate cheeck and see if its got the parts on the wrong side.