kz750 wont start in the winter HELP

• kz750bobber76
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
22 Jan 2011 22:05 #424589 by kz750bobber76
kz750 wont start in the winter HELP was created by kz750bobber76
hello im am new to the site and was hopping someone could help me out. i have a 76 kz750 twin and cant get it to start. it was running fine before the winter and now cant get it to fire. there is a new ignition coil, spark plugs, rebuilt starter and had the engine tuned and carbs rebuilt in sept. i let it sit in the garage for a few month and just tried to start it and nothing. the starter cranks but wont fire up. i do live in buffalo and its cold and help would be great.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
22 Jan 2011 23:15 #424593 by dblhdr
Replied by dblhdr on topic kz750 wont start in the winter HELP
It goes without saying but I'll say it any way. :blush:
Make sure you are getting spark to your plugs, and check to make sure there is fuel in the tank and the pet cock is not turned off, and the fuel filter isn't clogged, and you have the choke all the way on.I would put the fuel petcock on prime. Also make sure the battery is fully charged. Those are the basics and the problem could easily turn out to be very simple. :unsure: don't forget to check all the vacuum lines also to make sure one didn't come off. If all that checks out ok stick with this board the guys here will be able to help you along :lol:

1981 KZ1000 Police Special coverted for civilian use with passenger seat, custom luggage rack, and paint. Daily rider.
2006 Harley Davidson Road King FLHR1

More
23 Jan 2011 06:52 #424630 by JMKZHI
Replied by JMKZHI on topic kz750 wont start in the winter HELP
Just to make sure, it was running fine after all of the new stuff was added, correct?

How about the battery? Have you checked it?
The bike needs a good, charged battery.

• Motor Head
  • User
  • FIX UP YOUR BIKE RIGHT AND CHEAP
More
23 Jan 2011 07:42 - 23 Jan 2011 07:56 #424648 by Motor Head
Replied by Motor Head on topic kz750 wont start in the winter HELP
If it is going to sit, then one of these is a very good idea: $7.99 when on sale.
www.harborfreight.com/automatic-battery-...t-charger-42292.html

Also Have you checked to see what the voltage is at the Coils? There may be voltage loss do to poor connections/ brittle wires/ bad fuses & clips at the panel. Check battery voltage with key on and coil voltage, should be real close within .5v of each other.
Then have you turned the petcock on @ prime for a bit before cranking to ensure the bowls are full? Put the choke on and don't touch the throttle till it fires. When you cleaned the carbs was the starter circuit cleaned real good as well?

1982 KZ1000LTD K2 Vance & Hines 4-1 ACCEL COILS Added Vetter fairing & Bags. FOX Racing rear Shocks, Braced Swing-arm, Fork Brace, Progressive Fork Springs RT Gold Emulators, APE Valve Springs, 1166 Big Bore kit, RS34's, GPZ cams.
1980 KZ550LTD C1 Stock SOLD Miss it
1979 MAZDA RX7 in the works, 13B...
Attachments:
Last edit: 23 Jan 2011 07:56 by Motor Head.

• newOld_kz1000
  • User
  • FlimFlamFlibbityFlee !! BoonFryedShickaMuhZee !!
More
23 Jan 2011 09:16 - 23 Jan 2011 09:18 #424674 by newOld_kz1000
Replied by newOld_kz1000 on topic kz750 wont start in the winter HELP
kz750bobber76 wrote:

hello im am new to the site and was hopping someone could help me out. i have a 76 kz750 twin and cant get it to start. it was running fine before the winter and now cant get it to fire. there is a new ignition coil, spark plugs, rebuilt starter and had the engine tuned and carbs rebuilt in sept. i let it sit in the garage for a few month and just tried to start it and nothing. the starter cranks but wont fire up. i do live in buffalo and its cold and help would be great.

I own a few bikes and they get to sitting and thus the batteries get low. So I bought one of these from the local Autozone stores -- this one is the smallest version of 'portable jump starters' as it is designed for motorcycles, snowmobiles, but not big trucks or anything:

www.autozone.com/autozone/accessories/Du...entifier=298616_0_0_

It was $60, that's less than a battery. I also use battery maintainers as Motor Head suggested, but I like to be fully armed with a jump starter too.

So here's the deal. When you left your bike "sit in the garage for a few months and just tried to start it and nothing" -- that is *plenty* of time for your battery to lose some of its stored energy/voltage. That's why Motor Head recommended that battery maintainer.

You can either buy a battery maintainer, or jump starter pack, or both, but chances are -- your battery might be charged enough to make you think it's fine but if you jump start the battery with the jump starter pack your bike is going to start up fine most likely, because it ran before as you said.

If the bike ran fine before being parked, then it sat in the garage for a few months, just charge the battery up or jump it.

These batteries are the weak link in the chain as far as owning and enjoying a motorcycle -- reason I say that is, unlike a car, bikes generally don't get used as often so yours is a common problem. Having a bike and a car makes you learn about the weakness of wet-cell bike batteries -- after a few months of sitting, they lose potency, *including* a brand-new battery.

1978 kz1000 A2 with Kerker
1980 Z1 Classic with Kerker
Last edit: 23 Jan 2011 09:18 by newOld_kz1000.

More
23 Jan 2011 10:28 - 23 Jan 2011 10:28 #424704 by steell
Replied by steell on topic kz750 wont start in the winter HELP
Um, guys, the 76-80 KZ750 twins don't have a "Prime" position on the petcock.

It's ON/OFF/RESERVE :)

KD9JUR
Last edit: 23 Jan 2011 10:28 by steell.

• Motor Head
  • User
  • FIX UP YOUR BIKE RIGHT AND CHEAP
More
23 Jan 2011 10:33 #424708 by Motor Head
Replied by Motor Head on topic kz750 wont start in the winter HELP
steell wrote:

Um, guys, the 76-80 KZ750 twins don't have a "Prime" position on the petcock.

It's ON/OFF/RESERVE :)

Sorry,:blush:

1982 KZ1000LTD K2 Vance & Hines 4-1 ACCEL COILS Added Vetter fairing & Bags. FOX Racing rear Shocks, Braced Swing-arm, Fork Brace, Progressive Fork Springs RT Gold Emulators, APE Valve Springs, 1166 Big Bore kit, RS34's, GPZ cams.
1980 KZ550LTD C1 Stock SOLD Miss it
1979 MAZDA RX7 in the works, 13B...

• kz750bobber76
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
23 Jan 2011 18:07 #424854 by kz750bobber76
Replied by kz750bobber76 on topic kz750 wont start in the winter HELP
thanks for all the info. i will check the battery out tommorow. makeing sure nothing is loose or not connected. will give update after doing so.