KZ400 Fuse Questions

More
18 Jan 2011 07:34 - 18 Jan 2011 07:34 #423248 by treitz
KZ400 Fuse Questions was created by treitz
Alright so I probably should have checked here before I did this... but I didn't. So here I am, asking for help.

I needed to replace 2 of the fuses in my 79 KZ400 and could not find them anywhere in town. So instead of looking online I figured it would be a better bet to just replace the fuse box with one that holds standard 20 amp fuses instead of those weird little ones.

So a trip to Radio Shack and $8 later I came home with a pack of 20amp fuses, a fuse box thingy and some adapter. I cut off the old fuse box, wired it up the same way as before, popped the new fuses in and nothing. No power to lights, or electric starter.

I noticed after the fact that the fuses are 20amp 32volt. Is it the volts that is throwing it off?

Thanks guys.

1979 KZ400 - 2-1 Manifold - Mikuni VM34
Last edit: 18 Jan 2011 07:34 by treitz.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
18 Jan 2011 07:49 #423255 by treitz
Replied by treitz on topic KZ400 Fuse Questions
Welp thanks to some further research it appears 2 of the fuses are suppose to be 10amp and only 1 is 20amp. I am not sure that this completely explain it though, but I will give it a shot tonight I guess.

More
18 Jan 2011 14:49 #423326 by MFolks
Replied by MFolks on topic KZ400 Fuse Questions
Fuse And Fuse Holder Designations

1. The older Kawasaki’s use a glass tubed fuse with the designation of AGX 1” long. Most good auto parts stores can get them for you. They are ¼” in diameter.

2. The more common AGC is 1 ¼” long and may not fit the smaller fuse clips. Again, ¼” in diameter.

3. To clean and polish the fuse clips, I use a cotton swab(Q- Tip) and some Brasso metal cleaner or Turtle Wax Chrome Polish. I suppose any good metal polish would work.

4. These fuses can fail internally but look good, only by removing them from the clip and electrically continuity checking with either a self powered test light, or a multimeter set on OHMS can they be determined to be in good shape.

5. A physical inspection of the metal end caps for tightness will tell you if the fuse is serviceable.

6. Most modern motorcycles are now using the automobile “Blade” style fuse with the designation of ATC or ATO.

7. The reduced sized “Mini” Blade style fuse holder uses the ATM size of fuses.

8. If the fuse and fuse holder overheat, it could soften or anneal the grip of the clip, it might require squeezing the clip to restore the tightness.

9. A list of where to purchase “Blade” style fuses and holders:

www.waytekwire.com order.waytekwire.com/productdetail2/M50/...20%20%20%208%20FUSE/

www.rallylights.com www.rallylights.com/detail.aspx?ID=765

www.delcity.net www.delcity.net/cartviewitem?item=73805&search=y

1982 GPZ1100 B2
General Dynamics/Convair 1983-1993
GLCM BGM-109 Tomahawk, AGM-129A Advanced Cruise Missile (ACM)

More
18 Jan 2011 15:58 #423347 by tooocool49723
Replied by tooocool49723 on topic KZ400 Fuse Questions
Ok, so it didn't work before (2 blown fuses) and it still doesn't work now? Is that what I'm hearing?

Take a picture of the new one installed, it helps us diagnose it. I'd also double check all of your connections, and see if your getting 12v when the bike is turned on. Voltage difference in the fuses shouldn't affect their connectivity at all, but will make it so that they cant really stop a short from causing a fire (which is the whole point of fuses anyway).

So, go get some proper 12v 20a fuses. Double check your connections. Check to make sure your wires are conducting properly. Then take a picture and show us what you're working with!

-Cory

'82 KZ550 "Project"
First bike, 30k miles

Ann Arbor, Mi

More
02 Feb 2011 10:27 #427846 by treitz
Replied by treitz on topic KZ400 Fuse Questions
Hey guys sorry for the late response. I got it all figured out. The problem was not in the fuses.

Biggest rookie mistake ever but one of my grounds detached itself. Problem solved :)

Next time I will check my grounds FIRST.