Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

305 csr to gpz electrical mod 24 Apr 2006 12:48 #42226

• calisot12
  • calisot12's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 0
Got my hands on a mutant. 305 csr frame with a 305 gpz engine. PO blew the original motor and replaced it with the Gpz. Gave it to me to haul off. can these two be married without e-harmony? The engine is mechanically sound but the wiring is very different. I've got a 6 pin connector and a 4 pin connector coming from the alt/stator side. The starter/start and kill switches all work like they're supoosed to, I can turn the engine, just no spark at this time for obvious reasons. I've got a wiring diagram for the gpz - looks like I need a CDI unit to the spark coils. I also found loudvx's homemade circuits and I think I can probably make them work. The circuits are for a Gpz550 inline four, the 305 is obviously a twin. What alterations would I need to consider for the mod? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank:(

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

305 csr to gpz electrical mod 24 Apr 2006 13:39 #42244

• wiredgeorge
  • User
  • Thank you received: 44
I might be able to help with the connectors although you aren't real clear on the four pin as to where it originates. The 6 pin is likely the stator wires. I am not real familiar with your bike but there should be three yellow? These will be the AC that go into the rectifier or regulator rectifier. In this connector will be a blue/red that is likely coming from an oil pressure pickup and a green wire from your neutral switch in the countershaft sprocket. The colors used for the wires in this connector are kind of univeral on almost all the KZs I know. The four pin? Hmmmm The ONLY four pin I can think of is the electronic ignition igniter. I don't really know how a 305 fires... does it use two plugs firing at different times? If so, the ordinary pickup coil wire colors on a 4 cylinder are red and yellow for one side and black and blue for the other. These wires come off the pickup coils and go into the igniter. OUT of the igniter will be a red wire for power (power goes INTO the igniter from a switched source) and the other two wires are generally green for one coil (2/3) and black (1/4). While your twin won't be using these exact wires since it only has two cylinders, it may follow this general wire color pattern and the four pin connector may be the igniter (it AIN'T A CDI!) connection.
wiredgeorge Motorcycle Carburetors
Mico TX
www.wgcarbs.com
Too many bikes to list!

305 csr to gpz electrical mod 24 Apr 2006 19:52 #42368

• calisot12
  • calisot12's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 0
WG, yu da man! wanna be just like you when I grow up. the motor I'm working with has a six point connector 3 yellow wires on one side and white, red, and black on the other. The four pin connector has black with red stripe, black with white strip, black with yellow stripe and solid black.

I know the six pin connector is from the stator. the four pin connector is from two "pickups" 180 degrees apart. There seems to be an two elevated "tabs" that make contact with these two "pickups" as the engine crankshaft rotates.

I apologize for the primitive (ignorant) observations, however my understanding is limited. WG, you and a few others helped me take a 25 year old "throw-away" Kz440G and make it my daily, reliable, prefered mode of transportation. With gas $$$ as they are this is a bigger deal than the shear enjoyment of riding something I put my hands to and can be proud of. Anyway thanx for all your help! It is appreciated!

305 csr to gpz electrical mod 24 Apr 2006 23:08 #42417

• loudhvx
  • KZr Legend
  • Thank you received: 1615
Looks like it uses a 180 deg. crank so it will use two ignition circuits like an inline-4.

The big difference is that it uses an electronic advance, from the looks of the diagrams. That means my ignitors won't work. Sorry.

That project is on a distant back burner, though.

• Page: