Ignition bypass

More
08 Nov 2010 16:47 #411686 by jpmcevoy
Ignition bypass was created by jpmcevoy
Okay, i want to determine if my ignition switch is faulty,
I reckon hot wiring will tell me.

I have the wiring diagram, but am not 100% sure how to read it.
What wires do I need to connect to fool the bike into thinking the key is in the ON position.

Many thanks
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
08 Nov 2010 17:33 - 08 Nov 2010 17:48 #411698 by Patton
Replied by Patton on topic Ignition bypass
jpmcevoy wrote:

...want to determine if my ignition switch is faulty, I reckon hot wiring will tell me. I have the wiring diagram, but am not 100% sure how to read it. What wires do I need to connect to fool the bike into thinking the key is in the ON position....

The ignition coils' primary terminals normally receive battery power while the ignition switch is ON.

May by-pass the harness wiring by powering the coils directly from the battery positive terminal.

Don't leave such hot wire connected without the engine running, because that's like forgetting to turn off the ignition switch.

Good Fortune! :)

Edit -- leave all other wiring intact (except for disconnecting the coil wires where they join at the dual connector from harness).

1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD
Attachments:
Last edit: 08 Nov 2010 17:48 by Patton.

More
08 Nov 2010 17:37 #411702 by Patton
Replied by Patton on topic Ignition bypass

1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD
Attachments:

More
08 Nov 2010 17:40 - 08 Nov 2010 17:45 #411704 by loudhvx
Replied by loudhvx on topic Ignition bypass
Looks to me, according to the diagram, at the ignition switch, you would jump the yellow wire to the white wire.

This means the kill switch and start button will still be functional, and so will the clutch lockout (labeled "Starter Lockout", and it is the switch mounted on the clutch lever base).

This only bypasses the ignition switch.

The problem is Clymer diagrams are notorious for errors. The yellow wire at the ignition switch may be red with yellow stripe or yellow with red stripe, but not solid red.
Last edit: 08 Nov 2010 17:45 by loudhvx.