Gremlin in my charging system

More
20 Apr 2006 11:20 #41140 by anarki650
Gremlin in my charging system was created by anarki650
I've got a 77 kz650 b1 with a bit of a gremlin in the charging system. Once we got the carbs figured out (thanks to all the awesome feedback and info on this forum!!!) she ran like a top unless you turned the headlights on, then she died out. That was about 2 weeks ago. I've been starting her up and letting her idle w/ the lights off here and there so she didn't get gummed up or anything over that timeframe. Went out to do it today and just for giggles I clicked the light switch on to see if it still happened, and she kept on idling like a champ. After about 5 minutes of this I jumped on for about a 20 minute ride (keeping her close to home just incase she died on me), kept the high beam on and rode through low and middle rpms without any issues. Once I parked her in the garage I grabbed my multimeter to check the voltage at the battery and w/ the lights off it read 11.4, when I clicked the lights on it dropped to 10.6 volts.
I'm just baffled as to why all of a sudden it would run w/ the lights on when it wouldn't before...I've got a new old stock stator coming UPS (should be here in a couple days) and I'm going to replace that once it comes in, but I'm wondering now if that was even my issue. Anyone out there ever experienced this or heard of it? Any ideas as to what may have caused the gremlin? Or should I just consider myself lucky that the little snot moved out? Thanks in advance for the help everyone!!!!

09 Kawasaki ER6n
77 kz650b1 cafe rebirth project
"Being shot out of a cannon will always be better than being squeezed out of a tube, that's why God made fast motorcycles..."
Dr. Hunter S. Thompson
Omaha NE

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
20 Apr 2006 11:34 #41144 by BSKZ650
Replied by BSKZ650 on topic Gremlin in my charging system
I had a lot of issues with charging and running before, found the problem to be bad wires in the handle bars, a 650 runs the wires through the bars, getting the wires out and repair the bad spots made a big improvement

77 kz650, owned for over 25 years
77 ltd1000, current rider
76 kz900, just waiting
73 z1,, gonna restore this one
piglet, leggero harley davidson
SR, Ride captian, S.E.Texas Patriot Guard Riders.. AKA KawaBob

More
20 Apr 2006 11:52 #41150 by anarki650
Replied by anarki650 on topic Gremlin in my charging system
Hand controls and wiring harness have all been replaced (and thoroughly checked to make sure there were no bad spots). The harness that was on her when I got her was hacked to oblivion and the hand controls were FUBAR'D! So, I'm pretty sure it's not any wiring from the controls or harness.....stupid gremlins....

09 Kawasaki ER6n
"Being shot out of a cannon will always be better than being squeezed out of a tube, that's why God made fast motorcycles..."
Dr. Hunter S. Thompson
Omaha NE

More
20 Apr 2006 12:28 #41154 by anarki650
Replied by anarki650 on topic Gremlin in my charging system
Stupid gremlin.....I got lulled into complacency by the seemingly functioning charging system and took her out to fill the gas tank. Made it to the station about 4 miles from the house, topped her off, went to start up and ride off and the electric start wouldn't turn, and she was REALLY hard to kick over w/ the kick starter. I can only assume at this point that it's something w/ my stator or other components in the charging system. I'll post any updates after the stator gets here and I get it slapped in.

09 Kawasaki ER6n
Dr. Hunter S. Thompson
Omaha NE

More
20 Apr 2006 16:33 #41204 by 650ed
Replied by 650ed on topic Gremlin in my charging system
I have owned my '77 KZ650C1 since new - over 29 years. You have perfectly described the symptoms I have experienced everytime my battery needs to be replaced. If your battery is more than a year or two old, replace it first before you pull apart any electrical stuff. I have found the electrical system on the 650 to be very reliable (except an occasional loose connector). Ed

1977 KZ650-C1 Original Owner - Stock (with additional invisible FIAMM horn)

More
29 Apr 2007 05:46 #135190 by Wild and KZ Guy
Replied by Wild and KZ Guy on topic Gremlin in my charging system
77 KZ650B1 here also. Exact same problem. Mine's intermittent, so I'm doubting it's the alternator. My Regulator/rectifier is brand new, upgraded to electronic type. My battery's a Walmart one, about a year old, so I'm gonna check that first.
Mine ran excellent/like new for the last 2 days. Then yesterday, as soon as I switched on the headlight, the volts dropped to 10. Not sure what the problem is yet, hafta check it after vacation. But I'll say this; it has caused a lot of heartache and unnecessary parts replacement for me, and for alot of others, I'm sure. MAY I HIGHLY RECOMMEND THIS?: Do yourself a big favor, and get one of these tiny yet accurate LED voltage gauges. Mine tells me, as I'm riding, the minute something goes wrong. I can simply switch off the headlight and continue riding without a problem. It's the best single accessory I've bought yet. It's about 40 bucks, available at DennisKirk, and lotsa local bike shops also carry them: Kuryakyn L.E.D. Battery Gauge # 604219, available in chrome or black ;)
denniskirk.com/jsp/product_catalog/Produ...81&leafCatId=&mmyId=

A couple of Old School Minibikes
1980 LTD KZ650 E1
Attachments:

More
29 Apr 2007 21:43 #135512 by Shaft.550
Replied by Shaft.550 on topic Gremlin in my charging system
My kz did that to me today also. It had to be jumpstarted and the battery is only 3weeks old. It ran well after the jump, but its still going to the shop. Keep me posted.

More
30 Apr 2007 03:59 #135551 by Wild and KZ Guy
I pulled the battery out; one cell was low, one was about half empty. I topped all of them off with distilled water and put it on the charger...then put it back on the bike. After starting it, volts were in the yellow range (on my LED gauge)10V. With the headlight on it went into the red. Worse than before I "fixed" it. Hydrometer readings were all very low. So I know it's time for a new one. I'll probably go with a maint-free type, not sure which one yet(I only found 2 for my 650):
www.bikebatts.com/product_info.php/cPath...2_355/products_id/26 OR www.bikebatts.com/product_info.php/cPath...2_355/products_id/77
Going on vacation for a coupla days, will check in here when I get back B)
Lemme know how you make out..

1980 LTD KZ650 E1

More
06 May 2007 10:57 #137581 by Wild and KZ Guy
After researching, I see the maint-free batteries offer no more warranty than the standard type, and at twice the price. I just went and got a NAPA battery for $38 Total, gonna see how long that one lasts.(The Walmart one lasted one year and one week).

1980 LTD KZ650 E1