Winter Project: Complete Wiring Overhaul

• clutch
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • I wish I had a tad more patience to do it better!
More
28 Oct 2010 08:56 #409585 by clutch
So I decided to take on the project of rewiring my '82 kz 750 this winter and was wondering if anyone has been there. I'm trying to find out about how much length of each color wire I might need.

Additionally, while I'm replacing wires, I think it may be time for some new coils too. I see quite a few options on Z1 and have no idea what I should or should not get. I'm running pods, v&h 4-1 exhaust and I've rejetted. Any ideas would be appreciated.

Thanks guys,

Clutch

Southern Maryland, USA

1980 KZ250 LTD (traded, but still missed)
1982 KZ750 E3 (Cafe Project) (Dyna-S, Dyna Coils, V&H 4-1, K&N Pods, 6 Sigma Jet Kit, Acewell Computer, Woodcraft Clip-ons, Custom Rewire)
1966 A1 Samurai (Restoration Project)

Wish List:
KZ1000 P (For a "touring" bike)
Z1 (need I...

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• TeK9iNe
  • User
  • What did you do!?!
More
28 Oct 2010 10:04 #409593 by TeK9iNe
Replied by TeK9iNe on topic Winter Project: Complete Wiring Overhaul
Pre-fabricated wiring harnesses can be found for almost every bike if you shop around. Saves many, many hours of headaches and thier only about $200 I think.

What ignition are you running? Origional points, or a Dyna S, or Kaw elec ignition?

You can get any bran coils you like, so long as they are a close match/higher resistance than the ignition output.

B)

Motorcycle Shop Owner/Operator

79 Kawie Z1000 LTD
81 Kawie Z1000 CSR
83 Honda VT750C A
85 Kawie GPZ900 A2
86 Zukie GS1150 EG
93 Yamie XV1100 E
Lucky to have rolled many old bikes through my doors ;)

• clutch
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
28 Oct 2010 10:56 #409598 by clutch
Replied by clutch on topic Winter Project: Complete Wiring Overhaul
The problem I have with the stock wiring is my clipons. I have tons of slack at the handlebars now, and I am most likely going to relocate the battery as well. I already have a custom harness for my rear lighting since I replaced the rear fender as well. I trust my harnesses more than stock, so I am going complete custom wiring. Keeping the same color wires is just going to aid me in the future if checking a wiring diagram.

Also, I am running stock ignition. Any thoughts on replacement coils and/or upgraded ignition cmponents will be taken into consideration.

~clutch :)

Southern Maryland, USA

1982 KZ750 E3 (Cafe Project) (Dyna-S, Dyna Coils, V&H 4-1, K&N Pods, 6 Sigma Jet Kit, Acewell Computer, Woodcraft Clip-ons, Custom Rewire)

Wish List:
Z1 (need I...

• clutch
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
28 Oct 2010 10:58 #409600 by clutch
The problem I have with the stock wiring is my clipons. I have tons of slack at the handlebars now, and I am most likely going to relocate the battery as well. I already have a custom harness for my rear lighting since I replaced the rear fender as well. I trust my harnesses more than stock, so I am going complete custom wiring. Keeping the same color wires is just going to aid me in the future if checking a wiring diagram.

Also, I am running stock ignition. Any thoughts on replacement coils and/or upgraded ignition cmponents will be taken into consideration.

~clutch :)

Southern Maryland, USA

Wish List:
Z1 (need I...

More
28 Oct 2010 10:59 - 28 Oct 2010 11:01 #409601 by Kidkawie
Replied by Kidkawie on topic Winter Project: Complete Wiring Overhaul
I made a harness for my HD when I built it. I bought spools of different colored wire and drew a schematic. No directionals so it wasn't too bad. I ran all the wiring through the frame tubes and wrapped grommets out of electrical tape to prevent chafing. All the ends were crimp-on ends exccept I removed the plastic insulator and used the proper color shrink tube (red, blue, yellow).

1975 Z1 900
1994 KX250 Supermoto
2004 KX125
Last edit: 28 Oct 2010 11:01 by Kidkawie.

More
28 Oct 2010 11:28 #409606 by loudhvx
Replied by loudhvx on topic Winter Project: Complete Wiring Overhaul
As Tek9ine said, the coils you want depend on what ignition you have. If you still have the factory electronic ignition, then you will want the gray 2.2-ohm Dyna Coils.

More
28 Oct 2010 11:41 #409609 by MFolks
Replied by MFolks on topic Winter Project: Complete Wiring Overhaul
Some wiring advice:

When building a custom wire harness or loom, use machine tool wiring if possible as it's very flexible. Tinned or Solder coated wire resists corrosion better, but will suffer metal fatique from flexing and break, especially around areas like the steering head.

Having the proper terminal crimping tools might cost a few $$, but will ensure a good connection .

Wiring harness supplies:

www.easternbeaver.com
www.vintageconnections.com
www.electricalconnection.com
www.electricalconnection.com/electrical-components/hitachi.htm
www.terminalsupplyco.com
www.terminaltown.com
www.electerm.com
www.wiringproducts.com
www.painlessperformance.com
www.rallylights.com
www.ratwell.com/technical/Terminals.html
www.economycycle.com/servlet/the-Bullet-...lectrical/Categories
www.findtape.com/shop/product.aspx?id=32...&width=1436&height=0

1982 GPZ1100 B2
General Dynamics/Convair 1983-1993
GLCM BGM-109 Tomahawk, AGM-129A Advanced Cruise Missile (ACM)

• clutch
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
21 Sep 2011 02:17 #478192 by clutch
Resurrecting this thread to motivate myself to rewire the bike this fall/winter since I wussed out last year due to the cold weather. I'm writing/drawing up a schematic for what I need, and have 3 questions after checking my wiring diagram.

1. Where does the brown wire from the reg/rect need to connect? In my manual, it looks like it connects to one of the 10 amp circuits with the fuse and ignition switch between the connection and the battery. Am I looking at this one right??? Is this the wire that reads battery voltage to switch the diodes open/shut to not overcharge the battery?

2. Where does the Red/White wire from the reg/rect connect? In my wiring diagram, it appears to connect to the hot side of the starter solenoid (basically straight to the positive battery terminal). Is that correct? I'm assuming that this is the actually charging circuit...

3. I plan to remove the "reserve lighting unit" from the equation to minimize as much as possible. I know this unit is there for safety, as it switches the headlight to the high/low circuit if the current filament fails, but is it REALLY necessary? Thoughts?

~Clutch

Southern Maryland, USA

Wish List:
Z1 (need I...

More
21 Sep 2011 02:27 #478193 by MFolks
Answers:

1. Some regulator/rectifiers have internal wiring for this "sense circuit", I's ask the people at www.electrosport.com about it.

2. The heavier gauge white with red strip wire will connect to the battery to keep it charged.

3. It's possible to take the reserve lighting unit out of the wiring harness, but you'll have to wire around it as just un plugging it will leave you with no headlight. Can you post the wiring diagram for your bike?

1982 GPZ1100 B2

• clutch
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
21 Sep 2011 02:36 #478195 by clutch

MFolks wrote: 3. It's possible to take the reserve lighting unit out of the wiring harness, but you'll have to wire around it as just un plugging it will leave you with no headlight. Can you post the wiring diagram for your bike?

I'm rewiring EVERYTHING, from battery to ground. I think the only wires I may not touch will be from the starter solenoid, to the starter. Everything else is being replaced, and rewired to minimize as much as possible.

Just did a quick scan job of the clymer I have. It came out pretty clear, so zooming in works pretty good. Pay no attention to my scribbles in the margin. That was to identify my custom rear lighting harness in the future if needed :)

Southern Maryland, USA

Wish List:
Z1 (need I...

More
21 Sep 2011 02:42 #478196 by MFolks
Unfortunately, this is what posted:
Attachment wd.pdf not found

1982 GPZ1100 B2

• clutch
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
21 Sep 2011 02:44 #478197 by clutch

MFolks wrote: Unfortunately, this is what posted:
Attachment wd.pdf not found

Ok...looks like I scanned upside down, but...use this link and it should work:

kz 750 e3 wiring diagram

Southern Maryland, USA

Wish List:
Z1 (need I...