Dyna Ds2-2 install

More
19 Oct 2010 19:44 #407663 by stillbill
Dyna Ds2-2 install was created by stillbill
Got this 1980 kz550 from a guy that dumped it first time..20 k on the speedo...While i was getting stuff for other rides i ran into a Dyna DS2-2..Wire connectors..not blades...coil output is 2.4 ohms....Do i just wire this in as is and use a carbon wire?...Do i still use the magnets?...How bout the rotor? round or stock?...how bout the igniter?...bypass? not that hip on twin cam stuff.Newest bike i ever had

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
19 Oct 2010 19:49 #407665 by MFolks
Replied by MFolks on topic Dyna Ds2-2 install
The forum menbers "Loudhvx" and "Otakar" are more knowledgeable on the 550's and 650's than I. I'd imagine they will be along soon.......

1982 GPZ1100 B2
General Dynamics/Convair 1983-1993
GLCM BGM-109 Tomahawk, AGM-129A Advanced Cruise Missile (ACM)

More
19 Oct 2010 20:17 - 19 Oct 2010 20:20 #407667 by Patton
Replied by Patton on topic Dyna Ds2-2 install
stillbill wrote:

Got this 1980 kz550 from a guy that dumped it first time..20 k on the speedo...While i was getting stuff for other rides i ran into a Dyna DS2-2..Wire connectors..not blades...coil output is 2.4 ohms....Do i just wire this in as is and use a carbon wire?...Do i still use the magnets?...How bout the rotor? round or stock?...how bout the igniter?...bypass? not that hip on twin cam stuff.Newest bike i ever had

This mentioned Dyna DS2-2 is the standard Dyna-S electronic ignition used to replace oem points on 1980 KZ550 (per kawasaki.com).

For info and pic, click > www.z1enterprises.com/detail.aspx?ID=201

The round backing plate with points and condensers is removed and replaced with the Dyna-S round backing plate that has Dyna pick-up modules instead of points.

The oem "cammed" rotor (that opened the points) is also replaced with a Dyna-S roptor that has a small embeded magnet instead of a cam.

Like points, each Dyna-S pick-up module has a signal wire running to its particular ignition coil.

The same oem advancer is retained for using with the Dyna-S.

Unlike points, the Dyna-S requires switched battery voltage to operate.

Good Fortune! :)

1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD
Attachments:
Last edit: 19 Oct 2010 20:20 by Patton.

More
19 Oct 2010 20:29 #407671 by Patton
Replied by Patton on topic Dyna Ds2-2 install
A properly operating Kawasaki electronic ignition with i.c. igniter is in some respects functionally superior to Dyna-S, and typically uses ignition coils with lower ohms than recommended for Dyna-S.

When Dyna-S is used for whatever reason to replace the Kawasaki electronic ignition with i.c. igniter, the i.c. igniter is by-passed and usually removed from the bike.

Good Fortune!

1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD
Attachments: