starter with bad temper ?

More
14 Oct 2010 13:04 #406620 by rbud
starter with bad temper ? was created by rbud
Starter on my 750 LTD -82 has started to behave funny.
It sounds like chopping or something sliding in there.
And it only on occasions it manages to get the engine round.
Could it be the clutch getting worn out ?
Its like it cant really get good grip in there.
It just makes a lot of "razzel".
Anyone has any idea on where to begin ?
Stig

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• M357.5
  • User
  • Kwakas N' lots of em'
More
14 Oct 2010 13:08 - 14 Oct 2010 13:10 #406622 by M357.5
Replied by M357.5 on topic starter with bad temper ?
Starter clutch. There are a few threads you can search for info.

Looks to be a Twin in your avatar, if so you should address the problem sooner than later....they are known to back out the bolts which can lock up the motor. Clutch is prone to cracking as well, if it is cracked it's not worth rebuilding.

83 KZ750L X2 + goodies = Project
84 KZ750L the mini ELR replica replica lol
84 ZX750E Turbo modded n' FAAAAASSSSSSTTTTT
85 GPz900r GREEN N' MEAN
Last edit: 14 Oct 2010 13:10 by M357.5.

• TeK9iNe
  • User
  • What did you do!?!
More
14 Oct 2010 15:50 #406650 by TeK9iNe
Replied by TeK9iNe on topic starter with bad temper ?

Bottom of pic - Parts 4, 5, 6, get worn out and are replaced in sets of three each.

Parts/bolts 2, can back out of clutch case 3, from stator (not shown).

Best of luck.

B)

Motorcycle Shop Owner/Operator

79 Kawie Z1000 LTD
81 Kawie Z1000 CSR
83 Honda VT750C A
85 Kawie GPZ900 A2
86 Zukie GS1150 EG
93 Yamie XV1100 E
Lucky to have rolled many old bikes through my doors ;)
Attachments:

More
15 Oct 2010 09:23 #406810 by Capt America
Replied by Capt America on topic starter with bad temper ?
Looks like you have a twin there.. another member here has a blog he keeps active on them, be well worth a visit.

kz750twins.com/?p=37

I've never had the clutch bolts come loose on any of mine, but I completely believe it possible, as a friend of mind did have it happen on one he owned. And now someone has a blog about it, so it's appearing as a common thing.

So for the sake of draining your oil, and a stator cover gasket it is well worth investigating. If it's actually loose bolts on the clutch, like happened to the member who runs the blog, it could very well be your life in your hands if left unattended. :unsure:

If you're just having trouble getting the starter to actually roll the motor over, I can tell you these girls are tough to roll. You'll need to make sure your main connections are clean, both leads at starter solenoid, connection at starter, and engine ground, and battery terminals. I added an extra ground years ago T'd into the engine ground wire directly to one of the starter mounting bolts. I also have my headlight on a toggle so it can be shut down during startup.

You also "can't use a cheap battery" in these bikes, you need to spend the bucks for a battery with high cranking amps, or get used to kicking her over.. chuckle Thinking "my battery is fine", next time bike battery won't crank it over, hook it to a car battery for a test she'll whizz right over without blinking.

On a scale of toughness for electric starting, I place these twins on par with an old iron head Harley Sportster. They probably should have had about the same size battery.. lol

Capt A merica
1983 K1 750 twin
Ontario, Canada.