How much 'lectical can I get rid of? (81 750 H)

• fifthcircle
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • Jive Turkey
More
13 Oct 2010 16:23 #406421 by fifthcircle
Here's the story, got the ol'Kzed last year and have not done a thing with it.... I just filled her up with gas and rode it around a bit to take note of what I REALLY need to fix. Brakes are on that list!! :ohmy:

My plan for this winter is to get things pretty well sorted and modified the way I like. I am going for the "cafe" style, with a hint of "street tracker". (I know it's the LTD...shut up!) :laugh:

I would really like to get rid of everything electrical that I can possibly. No kick starter, so the battery will stay, along with turn signals, head/tail light, and necessary engine wiring. Other than that....EVERYTHING MUST GO!!!!!!

Crapola...where do I start?

I do have some time, since the first items to be worked on will be the "new" tank, brakes and fabbing up a new seat.

Thanks,
5th

"What is it with corn anyway?"
-Scott S.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• ready2ryde1985
  • User
  • got to love these kzs
More
13 Oct 2010 16:31 #406423 by ready2ryde1985
Replied by ready2ryde1985 on topic How much 'lectical can I get rid of? (81 750 H)
Lets see you could trash the starter and all the other stough if you dont mind push starting lol :laugh:

What else is left turn signals are nice at night some old ladys just cant see your arm at night lol better safe than sorry !

Tach speed o he!! who Needs that stough any way.

just pokin fun I love the way the no batt see threw tail looks.

84 kz 700 a1
82 kz550 ltd

• fifthcircle
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • Jive Turkey
More
13 Oct 2010 16:43 #406427 by fifthcircle
Replied by fifthcircle on topic How much 'lectical can I get rid of? (81 750 H)
LOL!

I had to try and push start it last weekend...NOT FUN. Damn thing is just heavy as all get out! (long story short, batt was mostly dead, my fault for letting it sit) I do wish I could ditch the battery. I like the open triangle in the frame too! Maybe a kick starter from the same year 650 will bolt on/in...it does have the hole for it, just covered up.

Not sure what all wiring I am thinking is on it, but at a glance it seems like there is way too much for what little stuff is there.

I will still have tach and speedo, just smaller aftermarket units. All the indicators and junk can go. I will find neutral on my own thank you. ;)

-Scott S.

More
13 Oct 2010 16:46 #406429 by steell
Yes, a 650 kick starter will work, I have a 750 lower end with a kick starter here.

KD9JUR

• fifthcircle
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • Jive Turkey
More
13 Oct 2010 18:12 #406467 by fifthcircle
Neat! Would a 750 be hard to kickstart reliably? Excuse my ignorance, this is my first "vintage" bike.

-Scott S.

More
13 Oct 2010 19:10 #406486 by steell
fifthcircle wrote:

Neat! Would a 750 be hard to kickstart reliably? Excuse my ignorance, this is my first "vintage" bike.

I wouldn't think it'd be hard, the KZ1000 up through 1980 had kick starters, and they started pretty easily.

A 750 four will kick over a lot easier than my 750 twin :laugh:

KD9JUR

More
13 Oct 2010 19:22 - 13 Oct 2010 19:23 #406491 by dejavoodo41
Replied by dejavoodo41 on topic How much 'lectical can I get rid of? (81 750 H)
I have a bare bones electrical system. My starter is wired to a switch mounted with my gauges I have my headlight wired straight to the battery with a SPDT switch for high and low beam. I have my tail light/brake light wired to come on when the key is on and and have lights for my gauges. I have 2 fuses. One is the main fuse and the other is for the lighting. I have put around 20K miles on this setup over the last 2 years and the only time I have had any issues was when I had fuses blowing pretty regularly and that turned out to be a shorted stator. I replaced the stator/RR and haven't had any problems since. I have had to kick mine over a couple of times and even with the 10.25:1 1105 setup it is actually pretty easy to kick over.

1977 KZ1000A With 1980 KZ1000A MKII engine, Wiseco 1105 kit, Dyna S Ignition, 3 Ohm Dyna Coils, Cams, Mikuni RS34 Carbs, Vance and Hines Pro Pipe with Comp Baffle

New Smyrna Beach, FL
Last edit: 13 Oct 2010 19:23 by dejavoodo41.

• fifthcircle
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • Jive Turkey
More
13 Oct 2010 20:19 #406507 by fifthcircle
Bare bones sounds like the way I should go. Where is a good resource for "how to" for me? Anyone have a good build thread that I could read through?

By the way, dejavoodo41, I am a big Kenny Wayne Shepherd fan....if that's where you got your screen name. :)

-Scott S.

More
13 Oct 2010 20:27 #406508 by Patton
If needed, here's a link to downloadable wiring diagram (found under KZ Information, Filebase).

Click > kzrider.com/index.php?option=com_docman&...w&gid=163&Itemid=108

Good Fortune! :)

1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD

More
10 Dec 2010 14:41 - 13 Dec 2010 03:00 #416270 by royalratch
Replied by royalratch on topic How much 'lectical can I get rid of? (81 750 H)
Interesting.

I ditched my indicators and kick start and gauges for a stripped down look.

Essentially, you can now make your own hi-quality loom as your electrical system
will be so basic - not a bad idea given the cost of decent Z looms.

On my Z800 build I'm going a step further and ditching the fusebox, ignition barrel and reg/rect units. I'll be running keyless transponder start and no gauges / indicators again.

So my loom will only need power to the CDI, front and rear lights - and that's it!

This digital controller helps me do all that with no old skool wiring to blow all the time:

www.motogadget.com/en/frameset.html
Last edit: 13 Dec 2010 03:00 by royalratch.

• Rainman
  • Sustaining Member
  • and a little Kaw shall lead them
More
10 Dec 2010 16:59 #416295 by Rainman
fifthcircle, search the forum for "1980 750H bare bones for Mattylight" and see if one of the posted diagrams will work for you.
Oh joy, it is in todays recent posts.

Good luck,
Jim

80 KZ750 H1 - the Kaw calf
79 KZ750 Twin - Miss Nov 2008 KZR calander
79 KZ750 Twin parts bike
78 KZ650 C2 Parts Bike
75 KZ400 Wife's old bike sold
81 KZ440 A2 LTD Wife's new bike
84 Honda 450 Rebel Wife's newest bike
Jim
Quincy,IL