need to remove an alarm from the bike

• newOld_kz1000
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • FlimFlamFlibbityFlee !! BoonFryedShickaMuhZee !!
More
09 Oct 2010 08:59 - 09 Oct 2010 09:00 #405460 by newOld_kz1000
need to remove an alarm from the bike was created by newOld_kz1000
Just got an '87 Ninja and when I turn on the key, all the turn signals flash in unison for 20 seconds or so then stop. No power is allowed to get to the rest of the bike to start her, although I know the power's there.
The owner sold the bike for his son who is stationed overseas.

So I find in the rear of the bike an alarm, an 'Avital' brand and it's a "Tornado" (not a 'Tornado2').

He had no clue about the bike at all and can't get in touch with his son. When I called him after finding the alarm he was clueless, not his fault, it was his kid's bike.

I can't find an install guide or wiring diagram for this 'Tornado.' I want to remove it from the harness. If it were only a couple wires.....but it has tons of them.

Anyone have an install guide (not for the 'Tornado2', those I can find but they're wired different I believe) -- or have experience removing these from the harness? I cannot use the bike until I get past this. I don't want to buy a replacement remote either, I'm determined to remove the alarm.

1978 kz1000 A2 with Kerker
1980 Z1 Classic with Kerker
Last edit: 09 Oct 2010 09:00 by newOld_kz1000.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• newOld_kz1000
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
10 Oct 2010 14:38 #405736 by newOld_kz1000
Replied by newOld_kz1000 on topic need to remove an alarm from the bike
Hi, okay does anyone even know in general how to go about safely removing this Avital 'Tornado' alarm from my new '87 Ninja? I want to ride it! I have to get the alarm removed.

More
10 Oct 2010 14:45 #405737 by PLUMMEN
Replied by PLUMMEN on topic need to remove an alarm from the bike

Still recovering,some days are better than others.
Attachments:

• newOld_kz1000
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
10 Oct 2010 21:15 #405882 by newOld_kz1000
PLUMMEN wrote:

Hi Plummen, man you have some posting history, what do I need besides a prayer. I was able to find schematics for a 32-year-old electronic ignition on the board here to help me troubleshoot the ignition for my '78 kz1000. I can't even find a source for install guide for this 'Tornado' alarm which is only about 18-20 years old, maybe less.

My plan B is to accept the fact I'll never find an install guide or wiring diagram for it and I'll have to spends several days (weeks?) carefully exposing all the electrical connections into the harness, figuring out if the stock harness was irreversibly modified during the alarm install so that removing the alarm will still leave an un-usable bike, or get lucky and like in the movie 'Alien' manage to get that big spider off that dude's face with 'no harm done' to the rest of the system.

My plan C is to remove the entire harness and sh!tcan it and buy and install a new harness.

Would rather hear from someone, ANYONE, who is an electric freak who has a way to remove this worthless alarm from the bike, '87 Kaw Ninja 600.

Thanks for showing up Plummen, at least I know someone's out there.

More
11 Oct 2010 05:35 #405911 by PLUMMEN
Replied by PLUMMEN on topic need to remove an alarm from the bike
id say follow the factory wiring diagragm and figure out what they spliced or removed to make it work then undo what they did. :(
if its too far gone maybe you can find a replacement wiring harness cheap B)

Still recovering,some days are better than others.

More
11 Oct 2010 08:12 #405943 by Kidkawie
Replied by Kidkawie on topic need to remove an alarm from the bike
Usually you need to cut one (or so) wires on the factory harness so power to the bike is run through the alarm. The alarm (most likely) came with it's own harness, just follow those wires and remove each one. You should get to a couple wires that were cut and you'll need to splice those back together according to their colors. It should be a piece of cake since there's no power door locks or any of that crap.

1975 Z1 900
1994 KX250 Supermoto
2004 KX125

• newOld_kz1000
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
11 Oct 2010 08:21 #405945 by newOld_kz1000
Okay thanks dudes, I was hoping to following an install guide and just reverse the installation procedure, but I'll have to 'follow the wires' and hope it's obvious enough to undo the install.