Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

Wiring help 18 Apr 2006 11:03 #40517

• kiriuskris
  • kiriuskris's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 0
Hey guys I am new to the forum. I have an 82 KZ750 CSR M1 Twin. The problem I have is that the neutral light and the oil light do not work. My brother, who gave me the bike, said he tried having it fixed at a shop but it was too much to do. I’d like to try it myself. First off, the bulbs are ok. I was curious to how these lights work. Is it the same with each bike when the shift drum pin completes the circuit? I am getting a Clymer manual for it here soon.

Which wires do I look for to make sure it works? I’d really like the oil light to work in case there is a problem. Is this the little unit that sits on top of the engine right in the middle? Does this work kind of opposite the neutral that when the pressure drops, it completes the circuit and lights up?

The wiring on the bike is pretty bad and I have considered rewiring it, but I am hesitant because I don’t want to jump in and end up with a mess. Is this real hard to do or are there kits out there I should look for? Does the Clymer manual have wiring diagrams? I looked in the filebase but it did not have anything for my bike. Should I look for another book like a dealer manual specific for my bike? I know this is a lot, but I like my bike and small stuff like this bugs me! Any help would be greatly appreciative!

Thanks!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Wiring help 18 Apr 2006 11:44 #40526

• steveo_4192003
  • User
  • 77kz650b-1
  • Thank you received: 1
i belive this site will give you more info on your bike!! just type in

kawasaki twin owners forums

hope this helps!
1977 kz650b-1, 4-2exhaust systetm, pod filters ,jetted 112 main, 17.5 pilot

Wiring help 18 Apr 2006 18:50 #40631

• btchalice
  • User
  • Thank you received: 7
try grounding the wire to each one and see if the light comes on, if not then check the bulbs. i think i have a complete harness for that bike if you need one you can cut up
Terry Meyer / Wichita KS
76 kz900 w/1000 motor TWZTD
I am not driving too fast, I'm flying too low.

Wiring help 19 Apr 2006 07:30 #40824

• wiredgeorge
  • User
  • Thank you received: 44
Don't know much about twins but the following applies to most KZs:

Interestingly, both the neutral light and oil light are located along with the stator wires and plug into a common connector up towards the battery box on most bikes. Your oil light starts at a contact behind the engine and then goes down and runs along the side of the starter with the wires coming from the stator. It runs in the stator wiring harness. Same with the neutral light. It connects to a switch on your internal shift engine case cover and also runs up into the harness carrying the wires from the stator.

I would pull off your external sprocket cover, the cover over your starter and then the starter and look to see if those wires from the oil switch and the neutral switch are still going into the harness which goes up and connects up near the battery box in a multipin connector. If all is connected OK, I would pull the wires off the connectors. I would then start the bike and ground the wires to the frame to see if the lights came on. I think both switches essentially establish a ground connection when activated.

If the lights don't come on, you can start tracing the wires to the lights from the big connector where the stator wires plug in. The wires are broken or disconnected somewhere between that connector and the light bulbs if, as you say, the bulbs are good.

There is a small chance that the external shift drum assembly was put together wrong or the longer neutral pin is very work AND the oil switch is bad but it is more likely just a wiring issue.
wiredgeorge Motorcycle Carburetors
Mico TX
www.wgcarbs.com
Too many bikes to list!

• Page: