running lights

More
03 Oct 2010 21:59 #403923 by 2bit
running lights was created by 2bit
I have a 2001 KZ1000-P. I just bought the bike about 2 weeks ago, and it is in pretty good shape. It has 49,000 miles on it and I haven't found anything not working on the bike until now. One thing I finally noticed is that when the headlight is on, the rear marker lights are on, and tail light, but the front turn signals are not lit. I did some digging inside the fairing, and on the left side where the plug is, is a mess. I dont know who did it, but there are wires just cut and capped off, wires unplugged.
I traced the turn signal lights and found they are blue and green. Inside the fairing I found the blue wire unplugged in 2 places, and I plugged tham back up and still no light. Where it goes into the harness it is cut and capped. I dont know why. Also there is a blue wire coming off the fairing plug that is cut and capped, so I dont know if these 2 blue wires are supposed to be together or not. I found several green wires inside the fairing, and some of them go to the amber pursuit lights and others plug into a partially disconnected harness with yellow/black wires. I wish the hell I was smart enough to read a wiring diagram. I think this is gonna take me awhile.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
03 Oct 2010 22:42 #403927 by MFolks
Replied by MFolks on topic running lights
I have an 1982 GPz1100 B2 model, the wiring is pretty much the same except for the police harness.

The front running light/turn signals are color coded:

Right front:
Grey, turn signal circuit.
Blue, running light circuit.
Black with Yellow stripe, ground circuit.

Left front:
Green, turn signal circuit.
Blue, runing light circuit.

The rear turn signals on my bike are single filiment(unless your bike has a dual filiment bulb socket)

Right rear:
Grey, turn signal circuit.
Black with Yellow stripe, ground circuit

Left rear:
Green,turn signal circuit

The front turn signal/running lights and brake light/running lights will be #1157 bulbs.

The rear turn signal bulbs will be #1156.

1982 GPZ1100 B2
General Dynamics/Convair 1983-1993
GLCM BGM-109 Tomahawk, AGM-129A Advanced Cruise Missile (ACM)

More
04 Oct 2010 05:33 #403952 by 2bit
Replied by 2bit on topic running lights
Thanks. Everything on the bike works light wise except the front running lights. What you told me confirmed what I thought.
My common sense tells me that all I should have to do is connect the blue wire coming off the fairing plug to the blue wire that is capped off and the front running lights should work.
With that in mind, I got a circut tester and the blue wire coming off the fairing is the correct wire I need, it is on and off with the light switch. However when I used the circut tester to try and complete the circut and light up the runnning lights by connecting one end to the blue wire coming off the fairing plug, and the other end clipped to the blue capped off wire, the circut tester lit up, but the running lights did not light up and my common sense tells me that isnt supposed to happen.
I also got a battery charger and connected the positive to the capped off blue wire and got nothing, and I then connected the positive directly to the blue wire coming off the left blinker and still got nothing. So now I at a loss.

More
04 Oct 2010 07:00 #403959 by 2bit
Replied by 2bit on topic running lights
There is a group of wires that are wire nutted together inside the fairing. I used a junk piece of wire and touched the blue wire to he group and the front running lights lit up like they are supposed to. So I just included them in the group of wires and re attaached the wire nut and all is well even though it isnt the right way to do it.