Gsxr 1000 front forks and original speedo????????

• frankzedhead
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
02 Oct 2010 03:10 #403316 by frankzedhead
What do you guys do for a speedo drive when u run a Gsxr front wheel with the standard clocks?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• testarossa
  • User
  • Attack life, it's only trying to kill you.
More
02 Oct 2010 05:42 #403325 by testarossa
Replied by testarossa on topic Gsxr 1000 front forks and original speedo????????
Frank, I'm not sure that it is possible to use a GSXR 1000 front end with the stock speedo. This may depend on what year GSXR 1000. I know that all current GSXRs use a transmission sensor for the speedo, and as such, do not have a mechanical speedo driver on the front axle. I believe this to be true for all of the 1000s. Now if you obtain a front end off an older GSXR 750 or 1100, then some of those have the driver on the front wheel. I have a 1995 GSXR 750 front end for my bike and it has the front wheel driver, however it appears to be a slightly different ratio than the KZ1000 unit.

I believe that all GSXRs after 1996 went to the electronic sensor on the transmission. The front forks are actually narrow compared to the 95 model that I have. It would take some extensive modifying to make the KZ speedo driver work.

The simple solution is to use one of the digital speedo/tach combos like this one: www.acewell-meter.com/c0_1.php?pid=7

I know that's not what you wanted to hear. I'm not saying that you couldn't modify something to work, but it won't be easy. Just off the top of my head, the KZ speedo driver would have to be bored to a larger ID for the axle. Then some combination of removal of spacers and machining of the GSXR front wheel/hub would be necessary.

I'm currently searching for gearing to correct my 95 GSXR driver to the proper ratio for the KZ speedo. I understand your desire to keep them. The function may be questionable, but the aesthetic of the original gauges is too cool.

1978 KZ1000 A2 Click--->Build Thread
2004 ZX-10R
2007 Harley Sportster 1200
2020 Harley Street Glide Special
Angola, IN

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.