Concerning Coils....

More
27 Sep 2010 07:04 #402200 by jonnygorman
Concerning Coils.... was created by jonnygorman
I have an '81 kz750H which ran like a dream until last month. It has been sitting since. Anyhow, the symptoms just before dieing were as such: sudden trouble starting and drop in idle speed while idleing. just before her funeral she started, idled really slow, refused to pick up rpm under acceleration and died soon after. She now refuses to start. I performed all of the ignition tests in service manual and all test positively (even coils) despite the fact that I have zero sprak and one of the coils is cracked right down the center. I need to buy a new coil anyway (because of the crack) but I found it strange that both coils would go out at the same time, as none of the cylinders have spark. It's definitely not a fuel issue and she is trying hard to turn over. Are coils wired in a such a way that if one goes the other will not energize?
I would appreciate any help.
Thanks
Jon
P.S. Any coil brands/store suggestions?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Kawickrice
  • User
  • After Monday & Tuesday, even the calendar says WTF
More
27 Sep 2010 08:47 #402216 by Kawickrice
Replied by Kawickrice on topic Concerning Coils....
Factory coils are known to crack and turn to toast. A set of Dyna Coils will get you back on the road if it is indeed the coils. If you don't have the cash for Dynas you could get some factory replacements but I would go for the Dyna's if at all possible.

My 2 cents

73 Kawasaki Z1
07 HD CVO Ultra Classic
82 Suzuki GS 1100
74 Yamaha RD 350 (My two stroke toy)
77 Kawasaki KZ 650B-1 (My putt around bike)
80 Indian Moped (My American Iron)
Long Gone
75 Suzuki GT550
74 GT 380
79 RD 400 Daytona Special
72 Honda CL 175
74 Honda QA 50
Tampa FL

More
28 Sep 2010 02:08 #402391 by Kapahulu
Replied by Kapahulu on topic Concerning Coils....
I think there's another problem. One bad coil shouldn't keep the other coil from working. Did you test all four plugs for a spark?

1978 KZ1000, 1976 KZ900, 1975 H2, 1973 H1, 1973 H2, 1978 RD400, 1977 RD400, 1974 RD350
2strokeworld.com

More
28 Sep 2010 06:19 #402412 by jonnygorman
Replied by jonnygorman on topic Concerning Coils....
Yes, all four plugs tested and no sparks across the board. Tested the pickup according to the book, ohlm readings from blue to black and red to yellow are 500. The plugs are new, but having everything go at one time is confusing me.

Thanks
Jon

• Motor Head
  • User
  • FIX UP YOUR BIKE RIGHT AND CHEAP
More
28 Sep 2010 06:31 #402413 by Motor Head
Replied by Motor Head on topic Concerning Coils....
You need to test to see if your points set is "Grounding & un-Grounding" as this with 12v to the coils will give spark. Test light or meter, either will tell you. Test light to confirm 12v to coils from ignition, or meter, then the negative/ points side of coil/ to see if when motor rotates points show ground then no ground as they go from closed to open. Maybe you got the wire hooked up on the wrong side of the insulator on the points terminal, inside the side cover. If you use a test light across the coil terminals it should flash as the motor rotates. If no 12v to coil, start checking the fuses, clips, then kill and ignition switches.

1982 KZ1000LTD K2 Vance & Hines 4-1 ACCEL COILS Added Vetter fairing & Bags. FOX Racing rear Shocks, Braced Swing-arm, Fork Brace, Progressive Fork Springs RT Gold Emulators, APE Valve Springs, 1166 Big Bore kit, RS34's, GPZ cams.
1980 KZ550LTD C1 Stock SOLD Miss it
1979 MAZDA RX7 in the works, 13B...

More
28 Sep 2010 08:49 #402439 by loudhvx
Replied by loudhvx on topic Concerning Coils....
Dyna gray 2.2-ohm coils are the ones for your bike.

Normally, if one coil goes, the other should still work.

Maybe buy one new coil. Then you can use it for testing by swapping it in for each of the old coils.

If the coil doesn't fix it, then it may be the igniter.
If it is definitely the igniter, then you can get one on ebay or try to build one.
home.comcast.net/~loudgpz/GPZweb/Ignition/GPZgmHEImod.html

How are you checking for spark, to know there is none?