Mechanical advancer differences

More
20 Sep 2010 19:05 #400436 by Dice
Mechanical advancer differences was created by Dice
I have two z1 engines one a z1b and the other a z1. I see that there is a difference between the two advancers in how they are stamped (timing marks). I have a new dyna ignition setup in the z1b and want to put it on the z1. I know that according to z1E they have a different rotor for the earlier engines available. Is there a reason I can't change the whole setup between the two (including advancers)? I think it should work, but I thought I would throw it our there here just incase.B)

1975 Z1B

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
20 Sep 2010 19:29 #400438 by Kawboy74
Replied by Kawboy74 on topic Mechanical advancer differences
The later style advancer is a better unit in that it gives a better spark curve at the bottom. If you change the whole setup you should be fine but if you use the earlier advancer I would recommend the optional rotor that Z1E has available.;) ;)

1974 Z1A As original as I could get it
'88 ZX750R braided lines, mostly original
KZ1000 project on the bench
Burlington,Ontario,Canada

More
20 Sep 2010 19:33 #400440 by Sandy
Replied by Sandy on topic Mechanical advancer differences
Well if the timing marks are located in different areas of the backing plates of the advancers,I would definitely install the one that gave you a proper reading in relation to piston location.

1977 KZ1000 A-1

More
20 Sep 2010 19:38 #400443 by Patton
Replied by Patton on topic Mechanical advancer differences
Dice wrote:

I have two z1 engines one a z1b and the other a z1. I see that there is a difference between the two advancers in how they are stamped (timing marks). I have a new dyna ignition setup in the z1b and want to put it on the z1. I know that according to z1E they have a different rotor for the earlier engines available. Is there a reason I can't change the whole setup between the two (including advancers)? I think it should work, but I thought I would throw it our there here just incase.B)

Per Z1E:
Dyna-S Electronic Ignition DS2-1 - Kawasaki Z1 KZ900 KZ1000...
If you have a 73 Z1 or an early 74 Z1A, we may need to supply a different crank rotor. Up through engine number Z1F-32817 kawasaki installed a 5/40 degree mechanical advancer (normal fire mark is 5 degrees then advancing to 40 degrees). If you have one of these on your engine, please enter a note in the special instructions to replace the standard rotor (3 rotor) in the Dyna-S with one special for these early bikes (3A rotor).)
As many advancers have been swapped from bike to bike, please check before ordering.

I interpret this to mean using Dyna-S with the early advancer requires Dyna-S rotor 3A,
and using Dyna-S with the later advancer requires Dyna-S rotor 3 which is furnished unless rotor 3A is specially requested.

Sorry I don't know difference in appearance between rotor 3 and rotor 3A.

The Z1B should have the later advancer and rotor 3, which I believe would fit and work just fine on the Z1.

Good Fortune! :)

1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD
Attachments:

More
20 Sep 2010 19:46 - 20 Sep 2010 20:29 #400446 by Dice
Replied by Dice on topic Mechanical advancer differences
Those are the two units I am talking about right there. I only have the latter style dyna parts. Sounds like it is a go. Thanks for the replies.

1975 Z1B
Last edit: 20 Sep 2010 20:29 by Dice.