dyna ignition question

More
20 Sep 2010 12:21 #400352 by Patton
Replied by Patton on topic dyna ignition question
kz1k wrote:

i talked to larry at dynatek. he is sending me a trouble shooting guide for the system i currently have. if it does not work he will upgrade me to the dyna s system for 69 bucks if i send him the old ingition box and sensor plate.

so once i get my damn bike back...lol ill trouble shoot it.

what i dont understand is that if the dyna s replaces the box...it only has 2 wires right? how would that hook up to 2 coils that have 4 wires?

1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• kz1k
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • You Cant Fix Stupid!
More
20 Sep 2010 12:21 #400353 by kz1k
Replied by kz1k on topic dyna ignition question
cool patton, and no that was not mentioned to my memory. the trouble shooting guide is pretty simple. i run it by you guys when i get the damn bike back...lol

1978 KZ1000A2

"JUST IN! A MAN WHO HOLDS THE WORLD RECORD FOR USING THE MOST DRUGS DIES TODAY. HE WAS WAS ATTACKED BY A PACK OF WILD DOGS HE THOUGHT HE SAW"

WHY FART AND WASTE IT, WHEN YOU CAN BURP AND TASTE IT?

More
20 Sep 2010 12:23 #400355 by Patton
Patton wrote:

kz1k wrote:

i talked to larry at dynatek. he is sending me a trouble shooting guide for the system i currently have. if it does not work he will upgrade me to the dyna s system for 69 bucks if i send him the old ingition box and sensor plate.

what i dont understand is that if the dyna s replaces the box...it only has 2 wires right? how would that hook up to 2 coils that have 4 wires?

1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD
Attachments:

More
20 Sep 2010 12:24 #400357 by Patton
Patton wrote:

Patton wrote:

kz1k wrote:

1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD
Attachments:

More
20 Sep 2010 12:36 #400359 by Patton
Patton wrote:

Patton wrote:

Patton wrote:

kz1k wrote:

Dyna-S rotor has an embedded magnet, sometimes difficult to see, about as big around as a pencil eraser.

The magnet at 9 o'clock position aligns with left Dyna-S module to unground whichever ignition coil is firing the two outside spark plugs #1 and #4.

The magnet at 3 o'clock position aligns with right Dyna-S module to unground whichever ignition coil is firing the two inside spark plugs #2 and #3.

Dyna-S ignition requires switched battery positive voltage to function, supplied by a red wire spliced into a bike harness wire (often just before the dual connector feeding battery positive to the coil primaries (perhaps a red/yellow wire).
Sometimes there might be an unused harness wire connector which could be adopted for supplying switched battery positive voltage to the Dyna-S. Just plug the Dyna-S red wire into such otherwise unused connector.

Good Fortune! :)

1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD
Attachments:

• kz1k
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • You Cant Fix Stupid!
More
20 Sep 2010 12:43 #400361 by kz1k
your awesome...thanks

1978 KZ1000A2

"JUST IN! A MAN WHO HOLDS THE WORLD RECORD FOR USING THE MOST DRUGS DIES TODAY. HE WAS WAS ATTACKED BY A PACK OF WILD DOGS HE THOUGHT HE SAW"

• kz1k
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • You Cant Fix Stupid!
More
20 Sep 2010 12:54 #400365 by kz1k
ok, this is from dyna to see if my ingition is bad......"module/coil test: disconnect the sensor wires and touch the female(module end) of the input wires to ground. do not touch red 12 volt wire to ground. you should get a spark at the appropriate spark plugs everytime the inputs are grounded.if not it indicates a bad electronic module, a bad coil, or a problem somewhere in the wiring not associated with the sensor plate."

anyone got this in lamens,. "retard" terms?

1978 KZ1000A2

• Motor Head
  • User
  • FIX UP YOUR BIKE RIGHT AND CHEAP
More
20 Sep 2010 13:10 #400370 by Motor Head
Replied by Motor Head on topic dyna ignition question
I think you should visit here:http://www.dynaonline.com/skins/downloads/Default.aspx
Down load the Dyna 3 stuff, and read a bit, should be very straight forward.

1982 KZ1000LTD K2 Vance & Hines 4-1 ACCEL COILS Added Vetter fairing & Bags. FOX Racing rear Shocks, Braced Swing-arm, Fork Brace, Progressive Fork Springs RT Gold Emulators, APE Valve Springs, 1166 Big Bore kit, RS34's, GPZ cams.
1980 KZ550LTD C1 Stock SOLD Miss it
1979 MAZDA RX7 in the works, 13B...

• kz1k
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • You Cant Fix Stupid!
More
20 Sep 2010 13:13 #400372 by kz1k
niiiicccceee, thanks

1978 KZ1000A2

More
21 Sep 2010 04:23 #400515 by loudhvx
Replied by loudhvx on topic dyna ignition question
Dyna is such a good company to deal with.

That is a great deal. Send them your Dyna III stuff and let them test it. If it's bad, they'll sell you a Dyna S for like 1/2 price... good deal.

Patton and others have great write-ups on how to install the Dyna S once you get it.

(I haven't tried the GM modlues with a Dyna III ignition yet.)

• Motor Head
  • User
  • FIX UP YOUR BIKE RIGHT AND CHEAP
More
23 Sep 2010 14:45 #401225 by Motor Head
Replied by Motor Head on topic dyna ignition question
Did you send your Dyna in for testing or an upgrade?
While the heads at Larry's you could have this done.
$ permitting.

1982 KZ1000LTD K2 Vance & Hines 4-1 ACCEL COILS Added Vetter fairing & Bags. FOX Racing rear Shocks, Braced Swing-arm, Fork Brace, Progressive Fork Springs RT Gold Emulators, APE Valve Springs, 1166 Big Bore kit, RS34's, GPZ cams.
1980 KZ550LTD C1 Stock SOLD Miss it
1979 MAZDA RX7 in the works, 13B...

• kz1k
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • You Cant Fix Stupid!
More
23 Sep 2010 14:59 #401231 by kz1k
Motor Head wrote:

Did you send your Dyna in for testing or an upgrade?
While the heads at Larry's you could have this done.
$ permitting.

i still need to see if mine are ok when wired correctly. if i were to guess its so old its bad. plus, i wont need spark for a while....getting the cylinders honed/cleaned, and measuring, plus the head being done and getting new timing chain is first on my list. ill probably work from the bottom up...ya know.

i am certain i will be sending my ignition out to dyna and upgrading.

1978 KZ1000A2