Relay to Cut Off Headlight When Starting

• bountyhunter
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
30 Sep 2010 23:26 #403027 by bountyhunter
Replied by bountyhunter on topic Relay to Cut Off Headlight When Starting
steell wrote:

Guess I should re-phase my statement, I kicked started my 750 fairly often, last year, when I could actually ride. Haven't had the strength to hold the bike up since I started chemotherapy in March.
Howsomever, the cancer appears to be cured (beat the less than 50% odds of survival), and my last chemo will be a week from next Tuesday, so I'm hoping to ride it yet this year :P

Good to hear you're on the mend..... I guess I will stop whining to my doc about the lower back agony I have been in since I stupidly tried to tie my shoes Monday morning.... and severely reinjured my chronic sciatic problems. Today was the first day since monday I could walk without yelling "AAAGGGHHHH!" after each step.

As my brother keeps saying: getting old sucks, but it sucks a little less than the other alternative.:P

1979 KZ-750 Twin

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Kawickrice
  • User
  • After Monday & Tuesday, even the calendar says WTF
More
01 Oct 2010 08:40 #403083 by Kawickrice
Replied by Kawickrice on topic Relay to Cut Off Headlight When Starting
steell wrote:

Guess I should re-phase my statement, I kicked started my 750 fairly often, last year, when I could actually ride. Haven't had the strength to hold the bike up since I started chemotherapy in March.
Howsomever, the cancer appears to be cured (beat the less than 50% odds of survival), and my last chemo will be a week from next Tuesday, so I'm hoping to ride it yet this year :P

Glad to hear you are on the upswing. Far to many stories of the reverse. Hope you get to ride soon and get back to the daily grind.

73 Kawasaki Z1
07 HD CVO Ultra Classic
82 Suzuki GS 1100
74 Yamaha RD 350 (My two stroke toy)
77 Kawasaki KZ 650B-1 (My putt around bike)
80 Indian Moped (My American Iron)
Long Gone
75 Suzuki GT550
74 GT 380
79 RD 400 Daytona Special
72 Honda CL 175
74 Honda QA 50
Tampa FL

More
01 Oct 2010 09:14 #403091 by 650ed
Replied by 650ed on topic Relay to Cut Off Headlight When Starting
AtLarge wrote:

I'm 5'10'' and 185#. Now that the ambient has dropped and 50W still in the crankcase there ain't no kickin for me. :(

You're kidding about using 50W right? Ed

1977 KZ650-C1 Original Owner - Stock (with additional invisible FIAMM horn)

• WABBMW
  • User
  • Let The Good Times Roll !
More
01 Oct 2010 14:08 - 01 Oct 2010 14:09 #403173 by WABBMW
Replied by WABBMW on topic Relay to Cut Off Headlight When Starting
I've had two Honda motorcycles, and both have the headlight cut-out feature - stock from the factory. The lights only go out while cranking, but are ON all other times the ignition key is ON.

Seems like it could not hurt to have. I have thought about doing this, but haven't had the time.

I am not aware of any modern bikes having the feature, so the benefit may be very minor. The 6 years versus 14 months is a huge difference if that IS what made the difference.

Bill Baker
Houston, Texas
1982 KZ650 CSR
2008 Yamaha FZ1
2006 Yamaha FZ1
1977 Honda Supersport 750 four (sold)
1984 Honda Nighthawk 650 (sold)
Last edit: 01 Oct 2010 14:09 by WABBMW. Reason: spelling

More
01 Oct 2010 19:10 #403258 by steell
Replied by steell on topic Relay to Cut Off Headlight When Starting
bountyhunter wrote:

steell wrote:

Good to hear you're on the mend..... I guess I will stop whining to my doc about the lower back agony I have been in since I stupidly tried to tie my shoes Monday morning.... and severely reinjured my chronic sciatic problems. Today was the first day since monday I could walk without yelling "AAAGGGHHHH!" after each step.

As my brother keeps saying: getting old sucks, but it sucks a little less than the other alternative.:P

You ain't kidding about beating the alternative!! :woohoo:

Sciatic nerve pain? Think maybe I'd rather deal with the chemo :woohoo:

KD9JUR

More
09 Nov 2010 20:14 #411950 by AtLarge
Replied by AtLarge on topic Relay to Cut Off Headlight When Starting
650ed wrote:

AtLarge wrote:

I'm 5'10'' and 185#. Now that the ambient has dropped and 50W still in the crankcase there ain't no kickin for me. :(

No, the manual recommends 20w50 for the summer weight. I just switched over to 10w40 two weeks ago.

Now that I've got some time on my hands I'm going to do this cutoff mod if I can find a place to mount the relay. Not a lot of room under the seat.

1973 Honda CL70-K3
1975 Kawasaki 350 F9-C
1983 Kawasaki KZ750-K1
1994 BMW K1100RS
2008 Suzuki GSX1300-BKK8 #1120

• bountyhunter
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
09 Nov 2010 22:14 #411965 by bountyhunter
Replied by bountyhunter on topic Relay to Cut Off Headlight When Starting
AtLarge wrote:

650ed wrote:

AtLarge wrote:

No, the manual recommends 20w50 for the summer weight. I just switched over to 10w40 two weeks ago.

Now that I've got some time on my hands I'm going to do this cutoff mod if I can find a place to mount the relay. Not a lot of room under the seat.

I put mine down by the fusebox. The 20A "main line" you want to interrupt with the relay feeds the two smaller fuses so that line should be in the vicinty of the fuse box. I cut the wire and installed a male/female connector set. Then I installed flying leads on the power terminals of the relay with connectors to match up so I can open the line and snap in the relay. I wrapped the whole relay in tape and install it by tie-wraps to the wire bundle feeding the fusebox.

The relay coil power line comes from the starter relay (coil terminal).

1979 KZ-750 Twin
The following user(s) said Thank You: AtLarge

More
10 Nov 2010 04:29 #411979 by AtLarge
Replied by AtLarge on topic Relay to Cut Off Headlight When Starting
Ah, good to know. I was thinking about upgrading the fuse box too like Biquetoast did so I'll be in the vicinity anyway. Thanks BH.

1973 Honda CL70-K3
1975 Kawasaki 350 F9-C
1983 Kawasaki KZ750-K1
1994 BMW K1100RS
2008 Suzuki GSX1300-BKK8 #1120

More
16 Nov 2010 21:13 #413098 by mtbspeedfreak
Replied by mtbspeedfreak on topic Relay to Cut Off Headlight When Starting

Z1 and KZ900 can actually be started by using hand instead of foot on the kick starter.

This is the truth! Happened to me last week: bought a new battery, it was a bum, wound up kicking it for a week because it "felt more badass" than using a little button. My decision was based upon the fact that, indeed, a proper tuned KZ/Z1 will kick over very easily!

Good luck!
-Mark

2000 ZRX 1100
1976 KZ 900- Daily Driver
1980 LTD 550- Dalton Highway survivor!

If it has tits or tires, it'll give you problems!

More
16 Nov 2010 21:35 #413100 by Patton
Replied by Patton on topic Relay to Cut Off Headlight When Starting
mtbspeedfreak wrote:

...kicking it for a week because it "felt more badass" than using a little button....

Yes indeed, and especially satisfying at most any gathering when surrounded by the typical hoard of Harley riders whose new macho machines don't have kick starters. :laugh: :laugh:

I should talk :ohmy: --- my first motorized two wheeler had a rope-pull starter. :laugh:

Good Fortune! :)

1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD