• Page:

TOPIC:

humidity... 14 Apr 2006 17:00 #39570

• pat
  • pat's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 0
Hey guys
Last time i came on this site it's been almost 2 years ago. With your precious help i have succeeded to fix my motorcycle problem and now i ask for your help once again.

First of all, you have to be indulgent with my english writing, it is not my first language, i'm from the only area in North America where english is not the dominant language : province of Québec.

Ok now. My bike, a kz1000ltd B 1980, doesn't like water anymore but i have to use it under the rain cause i don't have a car. When it's raining or if the bike is wet, it just runs very bad and doesn't have power. And even when the bike is dry, it still does the same thing in the morning for the first 2 or 3 minutes of riding and then it is ok, just like the bike has to dry up.
Just to see if the problem is cause by the coils, i kept them inside for the past 6 months (winter is long here)and today i put the bike back on the road. It started easily, warmed up for a couple of minutes and when i drove it, the problem was still there.
So, what should i check?

Thank you

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

humidity... 15 Apr 2006 00:23 #39636

• steell
  • User
  • Thank you received: 207
You have an ignition problem, and if that bike has electronic ignition, then I would guees that the problem is the coils. If it does not have electronic ignition, then I'd start with new points and comdensers, then move on to checking the coils, plug wires, and plug caps.
There was a good step by step write-up around here somewhere, maybe in the Filebase.

I looked in the filebase but could'nt find it, maybe someone else has a link.
KD9JUR

humidity... 15 Apr 2006 13:06 #39713

• pat
  • pat's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 0
Well, my coils are full of cracks. I silicone them a week before storing the bike for winter. I didn't see any changes in the way the bikes run, so i guess it's better changing the coils.

humidity... 15 Apr 2006 13:49 #39720

• steell
  • User
  • Thank you received: 207
I had a problem with a 750 twin, the bike ran great until it started to rain three miles fron the house, then it started missing out. I turned around, went back home and replaced the coil, problem solved.
KD9JUR

humidity... 15 Apr 2006 15:12 #39743

• Duck
  • User
  • e vica na i sau na ga
  • Thank you received: 35
Scotchkote(tm) will make a good medium term fix to cracked coils. It's pretty
expensive and quite nasty though. I used to use it for waterproofing connections
on cables thet were submerged in salt water. Make sure coils are very dry first.

• Page: