Bike stalls when hot

• Topper
  • Topic Author
  • Platinum Member
More
27 Aug 2010 14:15 #394329 by Topper
Replied by Topper on topic Bike stalls when hot
And is there an easy way to check for that? I don't know all the history of the bike, but I don't think its had any extensive engine work.

It is 22 years old, so who knows, but it's only got 16k miles on it.

Permanent and perpetual noob.

1979 KZ750 Twin
2009 Kawasaki Versys

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• TeK9iNe
  • User
  • What did you do!?!
More
27 Aug 2010 14:36 - 27 Aug 2010 14:46 #394338 by TeK9iNe
Replied by TeK9iNe on topic Bike stalls when hot
Topper wrote:

And is there an easy way to check for that? I don't know all the history of the bike, but I don't think its had any extensive engine work.

It is 22 years old, so who knows, but it's only got 16k miles on it.

16000 miles, or... 116000 miles. I've seen this on many these old bikes. You never know, and the PO is always a liar! :laugh: No matter what!

Get the service manual for your bike, and you will have a humongous advantage in the battle of old bike VS. man

The manual tels you how to do everything ;)

GL.

B)

Motorcycle Shop Owner/Operator

79 Kawie Z1000 LTD
81 Kawie Z1000 CSR
83 Honda VT750C A
85 Kawie GPZ900 A2
86 Zukie GS1150 EG
93 Yamie XV1100 E
Lucky to have rolled many old bikes through my doors ;)
Last edit: 27 Aug 2010 14:46 by TeK9iNe.

• Topper
  • Topic Author
  • Platinum Member
More
27 Aug 2010 15:18 #394345 by Topper
Yeah, I haven't had much luck finding this particular manual. I can find the KZ305 manual for other years, but the one for the '88 LTD has been pretty elusive so far.

1979 KZ750 Twin
2009 Kawasaki Versys

• Topper
  • Topic Author
  • Platinum Member
More
06 Sep 2010 07:04 #396447 by Topper
Ok, I think I've fixed it. I should have done this first, but I'm a total noob when it comes to mechanics.

I took off the tank, flushed it and cleaned out the petcock (had some gravely junk in it) and replaced what looked like an ancient fuel filter that on top of everything else was installed backwards.

I think the junk in the petcock and the bad fuel filter were inhibiting fuel flow to the carbs. Fuel was getting through but at a slower than normal rate. After riding for a while, I'd eventually out pace the ability of the clogged filter to supply fuel to the carbs, the bike would loose power and die.

After sitting for a couple minutes, enough fuel would trickle down into the bowls to get me started again.

After cleaning the fuel line and replacing the filter, I went for a ride and was out for about an hour with no problems. So I think I'm all fixed!

At some point in the process I took the carbs out and cleaned the bowls and jets, so hopefully any junk that made it past that cruddy filter has been cleaned out too.

Thanks for all the help. The tip about carrying a spare plug with me helped me figure out I was getting spark and it had to be a fuel problem.

1979 KZ750 Twin
2009 Kawasaki Versys