• User
More
25 Aug 2010 13:48 #393779 by fredgarvin42
80 LTD 1000 Regulator/Recifier and wiring was created by fredgarvin42
I must say I learned so much from three particular posts:

Brown Wire Voltage on 3 Phase Reg/ Rectifier
Some 3 Phase Alternator Findings, 82 1100 A2
Still having charging problems!

I have similar problems with my LTD 1000. I am not getting any charge to my battery. I have to charge my battery nightly and its a crap shoot whether or not I make it home from work. I've been through the steps mentioned in the mentioned posts and figured I'd gain knowledge with a new post.

I have a great battery but the wiring needs some TLC. I removed my regulator/rectifier and elected to nuke the cracked and rusty connectors for higher quality connectors. The rectifier/regulator has one bad yellow lead so I grabbed another one off my other LTD and it tested fine so I'm going to install it tonight. Now for the questions...

Where can I obtain a wiring diagram/manual for my bike? I've been using a service manual for a 76 KZ1000 and it simply isn't the same. I have three brown wires hanging off the harness and I don't know one of them is responsible for determining how much or how little to charge the battery. I guess the other two run up to the ign switch connected in the headlight basket. don't have a third LTD layin around so I gotta get right this time!

The yellow stator connections markings I made came off (Hot here in Austin, my sweat cleared my sharpie markings!). Is there a way to determine which ones connect from the stator to the rectifier/regulator?

Probably the larger charging killing issues; I'm running a sylvania megawatt silver star headlight and a Dyna ignition with green coils. It seems to be very bright. When the feces hits the oscillator and the bike dies, I unplug the headlight and I can make it home. Where can I grab a headlight that will accept a H4 style bulb without going to Z1?

Thanks!!!!
Jay

1980 LTD 1000
1985 Ninja 600
1984 YZ 490

Austin,TX

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Motor Head
  • User
  • FIX UP YOUR BIKE RIGHT AND CHEAP
More
25 Aug 2010 14:15 - 25 Aug 2010 14:17 #393781 by Motor Head
Replied by Motor Head on topic 80 LTD 1000 Regulator/Recifier and wiring
There is a link on site for a KZ1000-1100 manual that covers your bike. If you do a search for "KZ1000 manual pdf", I think that's how I found it.
Here it is:http://www.kz1000r.com/downloads/Kawasaki%20KZ1000%20KZ1100%20Service%20Manual.pdf

Now the 3 yellow wires that come up from the stator, you have tested them for AC volts? Read 50 or so at 4000RPM on each combination of the 3? The 3 yellows will connect first behind the sprocket cover, then behind your left side cover, this is where the regulator rectifier plugs in. At the R/R you have 5 wires, the Black/ yellow striped must have a good clean ground. Then the red/ white must go to the battery + connection, this is done on the stater solenoid post, the battery cable goes up to of course the battery from there. Then the brown wire which must sense the battery charge level, if you read that thread you can understand how it is so important to be correct. The other 3 wires are the yellows for stator AC connection.
Head lamp buckets are easy to find used, ebay, or CL. New they are a good price from Z1. But if you get your system working properly you should have no problem with running the light, and the Dyna. Your alternator has a rating high enough to handle this and more. Its the wiring that will be giving problems, or possibly the stator or R/R. So far I've only had wiring issues and no problems with the bigger items.

1982 KZ1000LTD K2 Vance & Hines 4-1 ACCEL COILS Added Vetter fairing & Bags. FOX Racing rear Shocks, Braced Swing-arm, Fork Brace, Progressive Fork Springs RT Gold Emulators, APE Valve Springs, 1166 Big Bore kit, RS34's, GPZ cams.
1980 KZ550LTD C1 Stock SOLD Miss it
1979 MAZDA RX7 in the works, 13B...
Last edit: 25 Aug 2010 14:17 by Motor Head. Reason: add link

• fredgarvin42
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
30 Aug 2010 12:12 #395038 by fredgarvin42
Replied by fredgarvin42 on topic 80 LTD 1000 Regulator/Recifier and wiring
Thanks. No luck on finding a 1980 manual and a 81 is different. Most of my connectors were untidy so I cut them out (hence the questions). I traced and reconnected the components I needed and trashed the rest. Voltmeter and test light and common sense bailed me out of this one. I also replaced the stator from my other LTD for giggles. As a reward to myself for getting through it all without a manual, I painted flat copper. Done.

The H4 headlight replacement is next.

1980 LTD 1000
1985 Ninja 600
1984 YZ 490

Austin,TX
Attachments: