Persistant Blow of 20A Main Fuse

• Motor Head
  • User
  • FIX UP YOUR BIKE RIGHT AND CHEAP
More
21 Aug 2010 07:09 #392704 by Motor Head
Replied by Motor Head on topic Persistant Blow of 20A Main Fuse
Those Fluke Fuses aren't exactly cheap either. I've been OK with mine at a steady 10AMP, but somewhere above then Poof it goes.
I remember your thread your post now, did you check that the rubber ring, at the head lamp bucket, where all of the wires come in is in place and hasn't cut into some insulation? There is 2 of these 1 on each side of the bucket.

1982 KZ1000LTD K2 Vance & Hines 4-1 ACCEL COILS Added Vetter fairing & Bags. FOX Racing rear Shocks, Braced Swing-arm, Fork Brace, Progressive Fork Springs RT Gold Emulators, APE Valve Springs, 1166 Big Bore kit, RS34's, GPZ cams.
1980 KZ550LTD C1 Stock SOLD Miss it
1979 MAZDA RX7 in the works, 13B...

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
21 Aug 2010 21:14 - 21 Aug 2010 21:16 #392865 by alexnelson
Replied by alexnelson on topic Persistant Blow of 20A Main Fuse
Went through a good 12 fuses before I ran out working on it today. Unplugged all the lights. Fuse still went. Then things got kinda strange. I had the thing running for a while, the fuse hadn't blown for a good 6 or 7 minutes. I figured "ok. I'm gonna take this thing for a ride". As soon as I sat on the bike the fuse went. This got me thinking. I put a new fuse in and tapped the frame with a piece of wood, fuse went. I was able to reproduce this about five times. Then it stopped. Anyway, back at it tomorrow with more fuses, more meter, less stick.

78 KZ650-D1
K&N pods + 4-1 Pipe
Mikuni VM24 - 7.5/115/#4 Clip
Dyna-S
Dyna 3-Ohm Coils
Vancouver BC
Last edit: 21 Aug 2010 21:16 by alexnelson.

More
21 Aug 2010 21:21 - 21 Aug 2010 21:26 #392866 by Old Man Rock
Replied by Old Man Rock on topic Persistant Blow of 20A Main Fuse
"tapped the frame with a piece of wood, fuse went. I was able to reproduce this about five times."

Uhm Alex, wasn't once enough to inform you you have a short occurring under your seat pan due to your fat ass? :blink: :P :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Sounds as though your real close to finding your culprit... Once you do, yell out real loud.... Then beat the hell out of that short with your stick....

You'll feel much better... :woohoo:

BTW, not sure about the KZ650 harness runs but for my 900, harness is under the seat pan for the run to the rear tail/brake light assembly....

hmmm....

1976 KZ900-A4
MTC 1075cc.
Camshafts: Kawi GPZ-1100 .375 lift
Head: P&P via Larry Cavanaugh
ZX636 suspension
MIKUNI, RS-34'S...
Kerker 4-1, 1.5" comp baffle.
Dyna-S E.I.
Earls 10 row Oil Cooler
Acewell 2802 Series Speedo/Tach
Innovate LC1 Wideband 02 AFR meter

Phoenix, Az
Last edit: 21 Aug 2010 21:26 by Old Man Rock.

More
21 Aug 2010 21:48 #392868 by alexnelson
I hope against hope my fat ass is responsible for all of this.

Harness to all my back lights runs right under the seat pan. So, I unplugged it. Fuse still blew.

78 KZ650-D1
K&N pods + 4-1 Pipe
Dyna-S
Dyna 3-Ohm Coils
Vancouver BC

More
21 Aug 2010 22:14 #392874 by elfmagic17
Replied by elfmagic17 on topic Persistant Blow of 20A Main Fuse
alexnelson wrote:

78 KZ650 D1

I started a thread about this a while back but haven't been able to work on things for a while. I figured I'd start a new thread because so much has changed since the first post.

My main 20A fuse blows as soon as my bike warms up. I fire up the bike and without touching it at all, the fuse will eventually go after about 2 minutes. If I replace the fuse immediately after that and try to start the bike again, the fuse will blow instantly. Sometimes it blows as soon as I turn the ignition key but this is only after the bike has warmed up.

Due to scorch marks and excessive heat (will burn your fingertips) around the connections to the reg/rec, I thought maybe I had a bad reg/rec. A couple people told me to unplug the reg/rec and see if the fuse still goes. So I did that, the fuse still went.

This leads me to believe there is a grounding problem elsewhere, though, I have searched high and low on this thing without any luck. I've opened up the controls and headlamp almost a dozen times, no exaggeration, and can't see anything.

Is there anyway to use a meter to track down something like this? I feel like I'm just shooting in the dark here.

I've never tried it but I'm sure it works, Take a 10 AMP circuit breaker and replace the fuse with it, bike on and circuit breaker kicking in and out use a magnetic compass to follow the wires it will point to the short. Was a trick I was tought in my electronics class in automotive collage at University of Northwestern Ohio.

Kenny Hicks
74 Honda CB550
75 Honda CB360 (runs and rides good but not a show bike)
77 KZ650B1 (Runs Great, but needs painted and a little work.)

More
21 Aug 2010 22:23 - 21 Aug 2010 22:24 #392879 by Patton
Replied by Patton on topic Persistant Blow of 20A Main Fuse
Thanks a whole bunch, Kenny. :cheer:

Now I've gotta dig around and fine my compass. :laugh:

Good Fortune! :)

1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD
Last edit: 21 Aug 2010 22:24 by Patton.

More
21 Aug 2010 22:38 #392888 by kawsakiman
Replied by kawsakiman on topic Persistant Blow of 20A Main Fuse
do you have a new battery?

someday i will be able to afford my kz habit.

More
21 Aug 2010 22:46 #392889 by Patton
Replied by Patton on topic Persistant Blow of 20A Main Fuse
alexnelson wrote:

...It all started when I opened my headlamp to tighten the nut holding the left signal light to the headlamp housing. Now you're all thinking, "Well, your problem must be in there!" Maybe it is. But like I say, I've had then thing open so many darn times and can't see anything wrong....

According to wiring diagram for this model, the front blinkers also serve as running lights, always ON, and receiving voltage when ignition switch is ON.

Such continuous voltage is fed through the blue wires into the flashers (probably coming from a dual connector inside the headlight shell).

When tightening the nut, perhaps the blue wire was shorted against the flasher stalk.

If not already done, could disconnect the blue wire feeding left flasher from the connector inside the headlight shell.

And re-test.

Good Fortune! :)

1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD

More
22 Aug 2010 00:16 - 22 Aug 2010 00:26 #392894 by nads.com
Replied by nads.com on topic Persistant Blow of 20A Main Fuse
Stator wires getting hot is a clue. Try taking off the seat and tank. Check hazard switch and relay under the tank up front of the bike and check all the wires along the backbone to the mess of wires going to reg, rect, etc. Have you messed with the hazard stuff? your tapping the frame on what side? left? It's got to be close to there. I just got done cutting the wire plug to the headlights and ignition to shorten them. (I don't have any wires going through the headlight) rewired all the tail, brake, turns, ignition, pretty much the whole nine. It was frustrating for hours and hours several diff nights. Now I'm to the point where I feel confident about the wiring I'm loving it. I'm wireman! I'm gonna do the WIREGEORGE MODD for my ignition as WELL. Gotta love those relays! Take note there are only so many wires that branch out of and from the plastic encasing the wires that run along the back bone. Check these, see where they go and unplug like you mean it! Blow some fuses man! Don't forget to look for burnt wires coming out of the encased bundle, like the bk and y ground wires. These all tie together at diff places. Did you know there are two sets of four wires each set going to one single wire inside the rubber wrapped around the head light plug (engine side of plug) isn't that just flat out amazing? SO, lets go over this again. Flash cards are painted bk&y bl br o r bk grn y s gry r&bk. :blink:
Last edit: 22 Aug 2010 00:26 by nads.com.

More
22 Aug 2010 00:41 - 22 Aug 2010 00:42 #392895 by alexnelson
elfmagic17 wrote:

I've never tried it but I'm sure it works, Take a 10 AMP circuit breaker and replace the fuse with it, bike on and circuit breaker kicking in and out use a magnetic compass to follow the wires it will point to the short. Was a trick I was tought in my electronics class in automotive collage at University of Northwestern Ohio.

That sounds very interesting. I'll see about giving that a go.

kawsakiman wrote:

do you have a new battery?

The battery is near new and holds a good charge.

Patton wrote:

If not already done, could disconnect the blue wire feeding left flasher from the connector inside the headlight shell.

I ended up disconnecting the signal lights entirely but was still popping fuses.

nads.com wrote:

Check hazard switch and relay under the tank up front of the bike and check all the wires along the backbone to the mess of wires going to reg, rect, etc. Have you messed with the hazard stuff?

This is interesting. My hazards haven't worked for a while. Don't know why. Could be a bad relay. I unplugged the orange&green wires from the hazard relay and still popped fuse though.

nads.com wrote:

Don't forget to look for burnt wires coming out of the encased bundle, like the bk and y ground wires.

Oh I have scorch marks alright. Scorch on black&yellow and red&white to/from reg/rec. No surprise considering how hot my stator wires are getting. Will literally burn you.

Thanks for the feedback everyone. Much to do tomorrow.

78 KZ650-D1
K&N pods + 4-1 Pipe
Dyna-S
Dyna 3-Ohm Coils
Vancouver BC
Last edit: 22 Aug 2010 00:42 by alexnelson.

More
22 Aug 2010 00:42 #392896 by bountyhunter
Replied by bountyhunter on topic Persistant Blow of 20A Main Fuse
Old Man Rock wrote:

Sounds as though your real close to finding your culprit... Once you do, yell out real loud.... Then beat the hell out of that short with your stick....

You'll feel much better... :woohoo:

Don't forget to skin it and make a belt out of it too.....:P

1979 KZ-750 Twin

More
22 Aug 2010 00:45 - 22 Aug 2010 00:46 #392897 by bountyhunter
Replied by bountyhunter on topic Persistant Blow of 20A Main Fuse
elfmagic17 wrote:

Is there anyway to use a meter to track down something like this? I feel like I'm just shooting in the dark here.

I've never tried it but I'm sure it works, Take a 10 AMP circuit breaker and replace the fuse with it, bike on and circuit breaker kicking in and out use a magnetic compass to follow the wires it will point to the short. Was a trick I was tought in my electronics class in automotive collage at University of Northwestern Ohio.[/quote]

There was a better thing we used on PC boards: there was some kind of sheet film to lay over wires that changed when it got warm. It was kind of like a mood ring for wires. If you can, replace your battery with a 12V power supply (battery trickle charger might work) so you are not feeding enough current into the system to fry things, just enough to get them warm to hot. Then locate what's getting the hottest.

1979 KZ-750 Twin
Last edit: 22 Aug 2010 00:46 by bountyhunter.