3 Phase Reg/Rec pinout

More
14 Aug 2010 17:18 #390904 by inline79
3 Phase Reg/Rec pinout was created by inline79
Hey guys,
Sorry I've been away a while - I parked the '78 KZ650C2 after I sold the 77 Z650B1 and have been riding my '07 Versys exclusively. Then I got married and all that stuff. But now that I AM married I can get back to this project!

I need some help with my 3 phase generator upgrade. I took the single-phase stator and reg/rec out of the '78 KZ650C2 and put it in the '77 Z650B1 and sold it (for a profit!). I was left with a 3-phase stator and reg/rec but no wiring. So I need to know what the pinouts are on the 6-pin 3-phase reg/rec. I think it is the 21066-1038 out of a ZX750.

A photo is attached, and I do have the mating connector with wires coming out of it. It looks like the 3 yellow wires are the bottom row and the top row is (left to right looking at the reg/rec): Wht, Brn/Wht, Blk/Ylw. Can someone confirm that is correct?

It looks like white is the dc power out and brown is a sense line?

Thanks!
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
14 Aug 2010 18:53 #390921 by MFolks
Replied by MFolks on topic 3 Phase Reg/Rec pinout
Your wiring is the same type used in the older Kawasaki's with the permanent magnetic rotor.

(3)Three yellow wires, 180 degrees apart, makes no difference which goes where.

(1)Black with Yellow stripe, ground circuit.

(1)Brown,Usually a sense wire, prevents over charging of the battery.

(1)In your case white would be positive, in the older bikes it's usually white with a red stripe.

If it were me, I'd go to either Radio Shack(in the U.S.) or any good electnic supply store and get some "De-oxit", it's a contact cleaner/preservative I use on my bike.

www.deoxit.com is their website.

1982 GPZ1100 B2
General Dynamics/Convair 1983-1993
GLCM BGM-109 Tomahawk, AGM-129A Advanced Cruise Missile (ACM)

More
15 Aug 2010 13:15 #391052 by inline79
Replied by inline79 on topic 3 Phase Reg/Rec pinout
Thanks,

I've got deoxit, and use it all the time!

Do you know the correct pin assignments for this connector? Does it go

WHT - BRN/WHT - BLK/YLW
YLW - YLW - YLW

for the six pins on the reg/rec???

More
15 Aug 2010 14:13 #391069 by MFolks
I believe it looks correct for me, to double check, get a multimeter and ohm out the yellow pins for potential shorts.

I've never liked having the electrical connector mounted on the module as yours is, I prefer the ones with the cable and connector, so if something overheated, the male/female pins could be replaced.

1982 GPZ1100 B2

More
16 Aug 2010 10:30 #391357 by inline79
Replied by inline79 on topic 3 Phase Reg/Rec pinout
Thanks, I checked the diode layouts using a multimeter and confirm that my pin assignments should be right.

And yes, it's been hard to clean the contacts while installed in the module like this. Thanks again for the input.

More
16 Aug 2010 12:56 #391426 by MFolks
Where is this module going to be installed? If it were me, I'd have the connector pointed down so moisture would run away rather than run into it.

Try to mount it so it can be easily accessed with out doing a major dis-assembly of the bike. Also do not restrict air flow as the module gets rid of excess power by the cooling fins.

1982 GPZ1100 B2