Broken off battery post...help!

More
12 Aug 2010 21:54 #390518 by polkat
Broken off battery post...help! was created by polkat
I have a good, fairly new 12 A-A battery that I want to reuse but...the positive post has been partially broken off (don't ask me how). What's left looks like this....

I tried soldering a brass nut to the remains, but when my gun got hot enough to heat the parts for solder, the plastic case of the bat started to melt. And there's not enough depth to drill it for a stud. I was thinking I might find some kind of small clamp?

Has this happened to anyone else here, and what did you do?
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
12 Aug 2010 23:24 #390527 by drmadd95
Replied by drmadd95 on topic Broken off battery post...help!
I would be worried about the clamp vibrating off. I'm sure you can try to clamp the cable on it, but I probably wouldn't try it. I'd recommend buying a new battery. :(

1979 KZ650 B (Main Ride)
1978 KZ650 D1 (sold)
1982 KZ750 (parts bike)

More
13 Aug 2010 04:52 - 15 Aug 2010 06:51 #390550 by Patton
Replied by Patton on topic Broken off battery post...help!
Maybe a short open ended brass or copper tube over the broken post, filled with poured in melted solder (non-flux core solder).

Brass or copper surround serves as both the mold and permanent support, actually becomes part of the new post.

Copper tube would probably be easier to shape, being more malleable than brass.

Then drill hole for bolt to attach cable lug.

Good Fortune! :)

1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD
Last edit: 15 Aug 2010 06:51 by Patton.

• Motor Head
  • User
  • FIX UP YOUR BIKE RIGHT AND CHEAP
More
13 Aug 2010 06:13 #390572 by Motor Head
Replied by Motor Head on topic Broken off battery post...help!
I thought you bought another battery and have been out riding the bike? If not then it is time. Keep the other around the garage for some electrical testing maybe? Although nowadays most Battery sellers want a core, or may charge a core fee.
I think Wall Mart has some 16 Batteries pretty reasonable.
We have a Auto Electrical store, American Batteries, they had my 18-LA for $56 when all of the other shops wanted $80+. You can order on line, then buy some electrolyte to fill it. But the total cost, plus the wait, might not be worth it.

1982 KZ1000LTD K2 Vance & Hines 4-1 ACCEL COILS Added Vetter fairing & Bags. FOX Racing rear Shocks, Braced Swing-arm, Fork Brace, Progressive Fork Springs RT Gold Emulators, APE Valve Springs, 1166 Big Bore kit, RS34's, GPZ cams.
1980 KZ550LTD C1 Stock SOLD Miss it
1979 MAZDA RX7 in the works, 13B...

More
13 Aug 2010 18:12 - 13 Aug 2010 18:19 #390733 by polkat
Replied by polkat on topic One way to fix!
I'm posting this in the event that someone else has or has had this problem. These little battery posts are weak, and if working on your bike and you need to pull and replace the battery several times, this can happen.

First, I filed smooth the front of the post (the side away from the batt) lightly until it was smooth and shiny. Then I bought a brass crimp type cable end and mashed the wire side flat. I drilled a hole a tad smaller then the #8 screw I would use, in both the post (from the side) and the cable end and screwed it into the battery post just tight enough to stay without stripping out of the post lead.

I ended up with this.....

It's tight enough to lift the battery by, and it only has to support the positive cable and any viabrations there from. But after taking this photo, I covered the screw area (including exposed threads at the back of the post) all around with J B Weld. That should further help keep the screw and post secure.

This should work, and help me avoid a new battery with my perpetually empty wallet!!
Attachments:
Last edit: 13 Aug 2010 18:19 by polkat.

• Motor Head
  • User
More
13 Aug 2010 18:16 #390736 by Motor Head
Replied by Motor Head on topic One way to fix!
Good on ya, mate!

1982 KZ1000LTD K2 Vance & Hines 4-1 ACCEL COILS Added Vetter fairing & Bags. FOX Racing rear Shocks, Braced Swing-arm, Fork Brace, Progressive Fork Springs RT Gold Emulators, APE Valve Springs, 1166 Big Bore kit, RS34's, GPZ cams.

More
13 Aug 2010 18:25 #390739 by polkat
Replied by polkat on topic Broken off battery post...help!
Say, while we are discussing battery repair; I have yet another battery that was stored for a while and got slightly sulphated. It still reads about 8 volts but won't take a charge.

I have been told to dump the electrolite out, and then fill the battery with a mix of Epsom salts and distilled water, then do a slow charge and it should charge up.

I find this questionable. Anyone ever heard of this fix?

• Motor Head
  • User
More
13 Aug 2010 18:31 #390740 by Motor Head
I have never tried that. I did try a product that was supposed to restore a sulfated battery. Lost $7 for the product, $7 for new electrolyte, and still had to buy the new battery.
Not saying it won't work, but I have not had success.
Read about the specific gravity of the electrolyte in your manual. I think you will need a decent hydrometer to get the charge readings, etc.
So can you ride it again?

• Motor Head
  • User
More
13 Aug 2010 18:36 #390741 by Motor Head
Also might help to read some stuff on Running your Car on Water, or something where they use some plates and a mix of baking soda/ water to make electrolyte, and some of the Hydrogen Sulfide gas it makes.

More
13 Aug 2010 22:39 #390783 by polkat
Replied by polkat on topic Broken off battery post...help!
The (fixed post) battery is on the charger for a while. I'll know tomorrow if it holds up. I was using it to test a starter rebuild and thought I should recharge it.

Yea, in this Epsom salt deal, you dump the existing electrolite, rinse the battery out a few times with distilled water, then mix 8 ounces of Epsom salt into 1 quart of distilled water. You do the mix at about 140 degrees so the salt all dissolves. Then you fill the battery cells with the mix, and put it on a slow (2 amp or less) charger until it's charged.

Don't know if it works but I will try it tomorrow. Apparently the salts clean sulfation off the plates and turn it into new (recycled?) electrolite (but I'm no scientist and am not sure about any of this). I will report here if it works!

More
14 Aug 2010 07:27 #390810 by OKC_Kent
Replied by OKC_Kent on topic Broken off battery post...help!
There is a Youtube video showing the exact thing.

Oklahoma City, OK
78 KZ650 B2 82,000+ miles

More
15 Aug 2010 05:55 #390991 by mountnman
Replied by mountnman on topic Broken off battery post...help!
i would not recomend doing this----
i would not recomend doing this----

that said, -- it is possible to "pour" a new post--

there would have to be enough of the old post to drill a few small holes-- if you pour your "new" post onto a fairly even surface, it will have no "grip" and basicly snap back off at little pressure--
DO NOT USE AN ELECTRIC DRILL-- hand drill these holes-- if possible make them wider down in than they are at the mouth of the hole- then you will need to make a mold, this will need to set over the old broken post without any major gaps--very small gaps are ok-- the mold will need to be open topped,, and the size and shape you want your new post to be-- then you will neeed a melting pot, you can get these at reloading centers, for home making bullets,-- or in fishing supplies, for making your own sinkers,-- or you might luck up and find one at any random supply store-- i know my local attwoods has them with the cast iron camping gear-- some pots are electrical, the cheapest you put over heat-- blowtorch, charcoal, etc,, -- tire weights, old sinkers, other old batteryposts will do for the matterial-- i would not use solder, due the the flux it uses-- heat the whole pot, until the material is melted and free flowing, cold spots will cause problems, then pour into yuour mold-- material will instantly solidify when it hits the cold post-- with just a hair of melting to hep them bond together--

this will never be a battery to run, but something to have around to test motors with and such--
if you dont have the gear already, its just as cheap to get a new battery