unidentified magnetic pickup kit

More
06 Aug 2010 20:49 - 06 Aug 2010 20:52 #388837 by danhalen
unidentified magnetic pickup kit was created by danhalen
I was in the process of double checking the electronics/ignition advance on my kz550c to make sure they were not the culprit of my under 4k rpm hesitation/stuttering. I came across the magnetic pick up kit i didn't know was installed in the bike. But there are only 2 markings on the pick up magnets one is "japan" and the other is "tek"? i have attached a few pictures. Was just wondering the make so i can get a install sheet to double check it.

[IMG

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

[IMG

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

1980 kz550 c1
Attachments:
Last edit: 06 Aug 2010 20:52 by danhalen.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
06 Aug 2010 21:02 #388839 by MFolks
Replied by MFolks on topic unidentified magnetic pickup kit
TEC/TEK is a supplier of a lot of electrical parts in Kawasaki's. Next time your tank is off, look at the ignition coils, They probably have TEC or TEK stamped/molded in the bodies.

Kawasaki calls them "Pulsing Coils".

Ohm Checking Pickup(Pulsing) Coils

The pickup coils on the Kawasaki’s with the factory supplied electronic ignition can sometimes fail or become intermittent due to heat and vibration.

1.Trace back from where the pick up coils are mounted,(under a right side CD sized cover) locate and disconnect a small 4 pin connector. Using a multi-meter set on OHMS and range of 2K, check between the BLUE and BLACK wires(#1 and #4 sparkplug wires) for between 360- 540 OHMS.

2.For #2 and #3 sparkplugs the wire colors will be YELLOW and RED, again 360-540 OHMS.

3.If the pickup coils are suspect of failing due to heat, they can be stressed using a hair dryer without the need of the engine running.

4.A replacement set of pickup coils might be obtained from a dealer who serviced the police Kawasaki’s.

5. If replacement pickup coils are not available, your next choice would be to order a Dyna “S” electronic ignition system from www.z1enterprises.com It replaces the IC igniter with a smaller module located where the mechanical ignition advancer was mounted.

6. Checking with Kawasaki.com website has determined that the Pick up(pulsing) coils are available . The pulsing coil # is 59026-1133 and replaces the older # 1002, 1012 which were used from the MKII motors until the 2005 P24.

7.Check the small 4 pin connector that the pickup coils connect to for corrosion/loose pins too.

1982 GPZ1100 B2
General Dynamics/Convair 1983-1993
GLCM BGM-109 Tomahawk, AGM-129A Advanced Cruise Missile (ACM)

More
06 Aug 2010 21:10 #388841 by danhalen
Replied by danhalen on topic unidentified magnetic pickup kit
Thanks for letting me know where they were from and a diagnostic procedure. I was somewhat surprised to not find points there, as i was expecting. It just seemed way to nice and shiny to be something that originally came on the bike. I don't think the coils would be at fault since it only hesitates below 4krpm, but i have seen stranger things, and double checking the electronics is easier than taking the carb bank off again if there is no need. Thanks again.

1980 kz550 c1

More
06 Aug 2010 21:43 #388849 by loudhvx
Replied by loudhvx on topic unidentified magnetic pickup kit
Yup, that's stock and yes, it looks way too shiny to be original. That's got to be the best one I've seen. That goes to show the importance of that gasket.

Here's more than you ever wanted to know about them:

magnet polarity

ignition notes