z1 new after-market stator

More
04 Aug 2010 20:32 #388271 by luc
z1 new after-market stator was created by luc
I just got a brand new stator, seems to be a good quality (Emgo?) with all the correct wiring, terminal, grommet,etc.
But compared to the original one, the 3 wires going through the grommet are covered in cloth where on the factory they are regular wires through the grommet then soldered to cloth covered wires
I'm thinking that the oil is going to migrate through the cloth covering.
Any experience with those repro stator?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
04 Aug 2010 20:56 #388278 by MFolks
Replied by MFolks on topic z1 new after-market stator
It's possible, but the bikes have low pressure oil systems (2.0 - 2.8 PSI) The rubber grommet sometimes gets hard from oil exposure and engine heat.

1982 GPZ1100 B2
General Dynamics/Convair 1983-1993
GLCM BGM-109 Tomahawk, AGM-129A Advanced Cruise Missile (ACM)

More
04 Aug 2010 22:14 #388292 by Capt America
Replied by Capt America on topic z1 new after-market stator
I'm betting there is rubber/plastic insulation under the cloth just like on all my stock ones. They wouldn't make a product insulated with cloth alone I'd imagine.

Capt A merica
1983 K1 750 twin
Ontario, Canada.

More
05 Aug 2010 05:40 #388318 by Patton
Replied by Patton on topic z1 new after-market stator
luc wrote:

I just got a brand new stator, seems to be a good quality (Emgo?) with all the correct wiring, terminal, grommet,etc.
But compared to the original one, the 3 wires going through the grommet are covered in cloth where on the factory they are regular wires through the grommet then soldered to cloth covered wires
I'm thinking that the oil is going to migrate through the cloth covering.
Any experience with those repro stator?

Of course true answer to whether the cloth covering might be more prone (than the oem configuration) toward allowing oil to sooner or later weep past the grommet, will be determined by installing as-is. And that's what I would do in this instance.

The little oil residing inside the alternator cover isn't under any pressure.

Good Fortune! :)

1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD

More
05 Aug 2010 20:44 #388535 by luc
Replied by luc on topic z1 new after-market stator
well, i took the bike for a ride and was leaking after just a few miles!!!!
I jusrt can't understand why someone will go to the effort a reproducing a part with all the correct stuff and miss something like that?
Anyhow, i had to cut the wires at the stator and spliced/soldered about 3" of 14 gauges wires to the harness.
Now, beside not having a cloth covering ,the wires are tight inside the grommets hole.
Will ride the bike tomorow and report.
i also bought from Japan a new harness that i will use on my "old" stator to have a spare

More
05 Aug 2010 21:04 #388537 by MFolks
Replied by MFolks on topic z1 new after-market stator
I've read on other forums that for peace of mind, to throughly remove any traces of oil from the grommet and apply a layer of black RTV compound around the wires.

Maybe spraying the area with either brake cleaner or carb cleaner will degrease it.

1982 GPZ1100 B2
General Dynamics/Convair 1983-1993
GLCM BGM-109 Tomahawk, AGM-129A Advanced Cruise Missile (ACM)