B2 alternator onto B1 wiring loom..how ???

More
03 Aug 2010 16:20 #387958 by timyoungman
B2 alternator onto B1 wiring loom..how ??? was created by timyoungman
I am restoring a B1 and have the engine out to work on. I want to put in a B2 engine now and need to convert the loom to take the B2 single phase alternator. Please can some one tell me the modification proceedure. The B2 has 3 yellow wires from the alternator. I need a combined reg/rec I guess??

like this ??

www.electrexworld.co.uk/rr60-regulator-rectifier-791-0.html

How do I connect it up to the B1 loom ?

All help appreciated.

thanks. :S

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
03 Aug 2010 16:22 #387959 by anarki650
Replied by anarki650 on topic B2 alternator onto B1 wiring loom..how ???
If I'm not mistaken the looms are the same. The connections from the stator connect to the reg and rec, which then all plugs into the main harness. I used a D model main harness on a B1 and, unless memory has failed me, I didn't have to alter that portion of the loom.

09 Kawasaki ER6n
77 kz650b1 cafe rebirth project
"Being shot out of a cannon will always be better than being squeezed out of a tube, that's why God made fast motorcycles..."
Dr. Hunter S. Thompson
Omaha NE

More
03 Aug 2010 16:23 #387960 by anarki650
Replied by anarki650 on topic B2 alternator onto B1 wiring loom..how ???
But it has been awhile...so I might be wrong on that.

09 Kawasaki ER6n
77 kz650b1 cafe rebirth project
"Being shot out of a cannon will always be better than being squeezed out of a tube, that's why God made fast motorcycles..."
Dr. Hunter S. Thompson
Omaha NE

More
03 Aug 2010 18:06 - 03 Aug 2010 18:15 #387982 by loudhvx
Replied by loudhvx on topic B2 alternator onto B1 wiring loom..how ???
timyoungman wrote:

I am restoring a B1 and have the engine out to work on. I want to put in a B2 engine now and need to convert the loom to take the B2 single phase alternator. Please can some one tell me the modification proceedure. The B2 has 3 yellow wires from the alternator. I need a combined reg/rec I guess??

like this ??

www.electrexworld.co.uk/rr60-regulator-rectifier-791-0.html

How do I connect it up to the B1 loom ?

All help appreciated.

thanks. :S

If we're talking about KZ650's then they are not the same. It would help to put the year and model in your signature. Going the way you are, it's much simpler than going the other way.

However, you said the "The B2 has 3 yellow wires from the alternator." Is that right? Then you don't have a B2 alternator. It should have two yellow wires.

Assuming you meant to say the B2 has 2 yellow wires, and you are using the electrex reg/rec you gave the link to:

Your B1 loom has 3 yellow wires from the stator. You simply take two of them and connect them to the new stator. Leave the third yellow unconnected. Then put the 1-phase rec/reg where the old rectifier connected, using the wires that went to the old rectifier. You will be using the other ends of the two yellows (leaving the third unconnected) to connect to the two yellows on the reg/rec.

The wires that went to the field coil can be left unconnected. The wires that went to the old regulator should be unconnected, but taped off because the brown will have switched 12v on it.
Last edit: 03 Aug 2010 18:15 by loudhvx.

More
03 Aug 2010 18:11 #387984 by MFolks
Replied by MFolks on topic B2 alternator onto B1 wiring loom..how ???
I wrote this for the Kz1000/Kz1100's but it should apply for your bike too:

The regulator/rectifier plug on the 80’s bikes usually has six wires in it:

A. One (1)WHITE with RED stripe, this is the bikes main power wire usually 12 gauge in size.

B. One(1) smaller Brown wire, probably 18 gauge or so, the voltage sense wire for the regulator/rectifier, helps keeping it from overcharging the battery.

C. One(1) BLACK with YELLOW stripe wire, part of the ground circuits(Earth), maybe 16 gauge in size.

D. Three(3) YELLOW wires, maybe 14 gauge in size, the alternator output wires going to the regulator/rectifier which converts the Alternating Current(A.C.) to Direct Current(D.C.) using rectification, producing the power to run the motorcycle and charge the battery.

Reinstall the sprocket cover, again checking for pinched wires before tightening. Install the shifter on it’s splined shaft checking for proper location, and the left side foot peg assembly.

Except for the minor oil spill and reluctant fasteners, it’s not a very difficult job to do.

1982 GPZ1100 B2
General Dynamics/Convair 1983-1993
GLCM BGM-109 Tomahawk, AGM-129A Advanced Cruise Missile (ACM)

More
03 Aug 2010 18:17 #387987 by loudhvx
MFolks wrote:

I wrote this for the Kz1000/Kz1100's but it should apply for your bike too:

The regulator/rectifier plug on the 80’s bikes usually has six wires in it:

The '78 to about '80 kz650's used 4-wire, 1-phase reg/recs.

so it's just 2 ac leads, one positive output, and one ground.

More
05 Aug 2010 12:06 #388393 by timyoungman
Replied by timyoungman on topic B2 alternator onto B1 wiring loom..how ???
Gents, sorry i'm still a bit confused. Here's some more info.

My currenr alternator has 4 wires coming out of it. 3 yellow to the rectifier. 1 green to the regulator.

The current regulator also has a brown wire running from it to the flasher unit and a black/yellow earth wire runnnig to earth.

The Replacement alternator has 3 yellow wires coming from it . no green earth wire or any other wires.

Questions.

What type of combined rec/reg do I fit to this alternator

Where do I connect the brown and black/yellow wires when the old regulator becomes redundant ?

Thanks.

Tim

More
05 Aug 2010 22:03 - 05 Aug 2010 22:05 #388548 by loudhvx
Still need confirmation on what bike we are talking about.

If it's a 650, you said you were replacing the motor. Then the old alternator is irrelevant, correct?

The new alternator is totally different from the old alternator.

The wiring is different as described above.
In your swap you will no longer need the green wire to the old alternator. If you get a reg/rec combo for a 78 KZ650, and there is no brown wire on it, then you leave the brown wire unconnected and taped up.
Last edit: 05 Aug 2010 22:05 by loudhvx.

More
10 Aug 2010 07:20 #389871 by OnkelB
Replied by OnkelB on topic B2 alternator onto B1 wiring loom..how ???
timyoungman wrote:

The replacement alternator has 3 yellow wires coming from it .

As Lou said, the B2 shold have a 1-phase alternator (2 yellow wires). Before spending any money on a reg/rec, make sure you're not confusing the wire for the neutral switch with a stator wire - the neutral switch wire joins the stator wires under the sprocket cover, travels along with them and joins the same plug.

The easiest way to determine what you actually have on the B2 engine is to pull the stator cover and look at the stator - if it has 12 poles it's a 1-phase and you'll need a 1-phase reg/rec, if it has 18 poles it's a 3-phase and you'll need a 3-phase reg-rec.

77 KZ 650 B1, 82 GPz 1100 B2.