Turn signal problem and now no ignition - wtf?

• Motor Head
  • User
  • FIX UP YOUR BIKE RIGHT AND CHEAP
More
29 Jul 2010 15:02 #386855 by Motor Head
Replied by Motor Head on topic Turn signal problem and now no ignition - wtf?
If it does nearly every time, then try unplugging the R/R and while keeping RPM down to 4000, see if your fuse blows. There are tests for the R/R to see if it is defective.
Does your turn signals work now? Isn't that the 1st problem, it all started after doing some tightening inside the head lamp bucket, right? Are you sure its not a wire still grounding? Do you still have the wiring through the handle bars?
Do you have the diagram for your bike? If so you should be able to trace out the wiring/ circuit at fault.

1982 KZ1000LTD K2 Vance & Hines 4-1 ACCEL COILS Added Vetter fairing & Bags. FOX Racing rear Shocks, Braced Swing-arm, Fork Brace, Progressive Fork Springs RT Gold Emulators, APE Valve Springs, 1166 Big Bore kit, RS34's, GPZ cams.
1980 KZ550LTD C1 Stock SOLD Miss it
1979 MAZDA RX7 in the works, 13B...

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
30 Jul 2010 13:08 - 30 Jul 2010 13:34 #387044 by alexnelson
Replied by alexnelson on topic Turn signal problem and now no ignition - wtf?
Motor Head wrote:

If it does nearly every time, then try unplugging the R/R and while keeping RPM down to 4000, see if your fuse blows. There are tests for the R/R to see if it is defective.
Does your turn signals work now? Isn't that the 1st problem, it all started after doing some tightening inside the head lamp bucket, right? Are you sure its not a wire still grounding? Do you still have the wiring through the handle bars?
Do you have the diagram for your bike? If so you should be able to trace out the wiring/ circuit at fault.

I do still have a turn signal problem. My wiring no longer goes through the handle bars. It very well could be a wire still grounding somewhere I just can't find it for the life of me. I feel like I've checked everything short of ripping apart the entire main harness.

78 KZ650-D1
K&N pods + 4-1 Pipe
Mikuni VM24 - 7.5/115/#4 Clip
Dyna-S
Dyna 3-Ohm Coils
Vancouver BC
Last edit: 30 Jul 2010 13:34 by alexnelson.

More
30 Jul 2010 13:29 #387049 by MFolks
If your wiring is now running externally on the handlebars, check where the wires come out of the switch pods(left and right side)You may have to carefully inspect the wires and switches to find this electrical short.

1982 GPZ1100 B2
General Dynamics/Convair 1983-1993
GLCM BGM-109 Tomahawk, AGM-129A Advanced Cruise Missile (ACM)

More
31 Jul 2010 15:37 #387288 by alexnelson
The latest news:

I was finally able to track down the faulty ground connection that was preventing my left side signals from working properly. Thinking I had defeated the dragon, I went to take the bike for a test ride to make sure the 20A main fuse problem had been eliminated.

I turned the bike on, let it warm up for 2 minutes and boom. 20A fuse went AGAIN. I hadn't even put the bike into gear.

Needless to say I tucked into the fetal position and cried like a baby for a good 10 minutes.

78 KZ650-D1
K&N pods + 4-1 Pipe
Dyna-S
Dyna 3-Ohm Coils
Vancouver BC

More
31 Jul 2010 15:57 #387290 by MFolks
Did the fuse blow just sitting there warming up the bike or was the handle bars turned?

I suspect insulation damage in the main bundle where it goes toward the headlight. One or several wires are touching affecting the fuse.

I'd also look inside the sprocket cover for signs of wiring damage, possible wires are moving causing your problems.

On most of the bigger 4's the alternator wires,oil pressure sensor,neutral switch and side stand switch,all run above the engine sprocket in a small channel.

1982 GPZ1100 B2

More
31 Jul 2010 16:06 #387291 by alexnelson
MFolks wrote:

Did the fuse blow just sitting there warming up the bike or was the handle bars turned?

The bike was just sitting there. Handlebars straight

78 KZ650-D1
K&N pods + 4-1 Pipe
Dyna-S
Dyna 3-Ohm Coils
Vancouver BC

More
31 Jul 2010 16:23 #387294 by MFolks
Try this:

1.Fully charge the battery.

2.Disconnect the regulator/rectifier from the alternator.

3.Start the engine with a new 20 amp fuse installed.

4.Let the engine warn up as before(if you're worried about overheating, position a fan foe cooling).

If the fuse does not blow, then it's got to be in the charging system.

If the fuse blows, further head scratching is required.

1982 GPZ1100 B2