voltage regulator/rectifier

• JoeKz200
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • i want help please
More
27 Jul 2010 13:38 #386294 by JoeKz200
voltage regulator/rectifier was created by JoeKz200
i have a 78 kz200 and i wanting to know how i could test my voltage regulator? and i also wanted to know what exactly the condenser does? im buying a tune up kit from ebay that includes the points condenser and spark plug. and im buying an ignition coil.

1978 Kz200
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
27 Jul 2010 14:55 #386334 by MFolks
Replied by MFolks on topic voltage regulator/rectifier
www.electrosport.com might be able to tell you how to check the regulator, if not www.wgcarbs.com has a similar forum with an electrical section.

This company has supposedly a life time warrenty on their regulators: www.oregonmotorcycleparts.com

As for what a condensor/capacitor does,it absorbs excess electrical energy, preventing the contact surfaces from wearing out on the points.

1982 GPZ1100 B2
General Dynamics/Convair 1983-1993
GLCM BGM-109 Tomahawk, AGM-129A Advanced Cruise Missile (ACM)

• JoeKz200
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • i want help please
More
27 Jul 2010 17:50 #386369 by JoeKz200
Replied by JoeKz200 on topic voltage regulator/rectifier
Thanks! :cheer: hopefully i can get this thing running and keep it running for a couple years.

i noticed that the spark on the spark plug was very weak when we were testing it. is that from the coil or condenser.
the spark plug is brand new.
any suggestions?

1978 Kz200

More
27 Jul 2010 18:25 #386381 by MFolks
I'd sit down with a can of electrical contact cleaner and take apart each electrical connector cleaning the male and female pins.work them by connecting and disconnecting a few times.

Also clean the right handlebar run/stop switch as this can be a weak point in the ignition system. Clean the primary(small wires) side of the coil.

Sparkplug caps can fail too, consider replacing them along with the sparkplug wires. I believe 7mm sparkplug wires will fit your coil(if the sparkplug wires are molded into the coil, www.z1enterprises.com sells a splice made by NGK that will let you replace your plug wires.

I use a brand of cleaner/preservative called "De-oxit" available at Radio Shack stores or other electronic stores.
www.deoxit.com is their website.

Pipe cleaners work well getting the grunge out of female pins. Smoke shops sell them for the pipe smoking crowd.

1982 GPZ1100 B2

• JoeKz200
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • i want help please
More
27 Jul 2010 20:28 #386428 by JoeKz200
Replied by JoeKz200 on topic voltage regulator/rectifier
i bought a new cap. so I guess i will do as you say and clean all electrical connections.
This will be my first street bike. i figured id move up from dirt bikes.
thanks alot! :)

1978 Kz200

More
27 Jul 2010 21:54 #386441 by MFolks
That De-oxit is some good stuff, I've used it for many years on my bikes electrical connectors. At home I use it on the cordless phone charging cradles, my entertainment center's patch cords and TV cables.

I'd never use WD-40 on electrical connectors as it will later turn into a non conductor. I used to use it on my bike's fuse clips, til one day I went to start the bike and nothing happened when I turned the key, no lights,horn, or fuel pump sound.

I had some 400 grit sandpaper in my tool kit, so I abraded away the crusted WD-40 from the fuses and clips and the bike fired up! I've been using De-oxit since.

1982 GPZ1100 B2

More
27 Jul 2010 23:36 - 27 Jul 2010 23:39 #386455 by Patton
Replied by Patton on topic voltage regulator/rectifier
JoeKz200 wrote:

...spark on the spark plug was very weak when we were testing it. is that from the coil or condenser.
the spark plug is brand new.
any suggestions?

Ignition coil requires sufficient voltage to properly fire the spark plug.

With ignition switch in ON position, what is measured voltage being received at primary terminal of the ignition coil?

Good Fortune! :)

1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD
Last edit: 27 Jul 2010 23:39 by Patton.