Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

Tachometer problems 11 Apr 2006 06:14 #38581

• pidaster
  • pidaster's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 0
My tach will only jump a little no matter the engine idle speed. What should I look for first to fix it?
KZ1000P '98

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Tachometer problems 11 Apr 2006 10:29 #38626

• JR
  • Sustaining Member
  • Thank you received: 436
First thing to check would be the tach cable. Disconnect it from the tach. Make sure the other end is connected to where it is supposed to be on the engine. Turn the engine on and see if the wire core spins. If not then the cable is broken - easy to replace.

Alternatively it could be the tach itself. I had a similar problem with my tach. I took it off and removed the little bulb holders - had to to get the tach fully off. I foud that a little metal sleeve which surrounds the bulb had come off inside the tach and was jamming the works. I opened the tach and glued back the sleeve buts thats a whole other story.

I hope it's just the cable. Good luck.

Just realised your is a '98 so maybe you have an electronic tach in which case no mechanical cable.

................................................................................................................
Woodstock ON Canada
1980 kz750E1, 4->1, K&N pods

Post edited by: jr, at: 2006/04/11 13:30
1980 kz750E1, Delkevic exhaust

Tachometer problems 11 Apr 2006 16:59 #38738

• pidaster
  • pidaster's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 0
It is indeed an electronic tach.

Tachometer problems 11 Apr 2006 18:19 #38770

• JR
  • Sustaining Member
  • Thank you received: 436
Oh shoot ! An electronic tach ! Well, I guess then it's either the signal to the tach or something in the tach itself. Only problem is I dont know what kind of a signal you should look for in the wires going to the tach. Sorry about that. Hopefully someone who knows will be along soon.

................................................................................................................
Woodstock ON Canada
1980 kz750E1, 4->1, K&N pods
1980 kz750E1, Delkevic exhaust

• Page: