77 B2 reg/rectifier question

• Capt America
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • Born Bad
More
21 Jul 2010 21:57 #384527 by Capt America
77 B2 reg/rectifier question was created by Capt America
Quick question about 77 B2 rectifier and regulator. I noticed both were on a rubber mounted plate on the donor bike. I always keep my regulator and transistor box mounted to my solid rear fender just behind the battery box. Open area on my bike.

Can I solid mount these old girls to my metal fender, or do they dislike being attached to ground?? I seem to remember some old Honda ones that didn't like that. I doubt the old regulator would mind much, it's the rectifier I'm iffy on?

Capt A merica
1983 K1 750 twin
Ontario, Canada.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
22 Jul 2010 04:05 - 22 Jul 2010 04:18 #384544 by Old Man Rock
Replied by Old Man Rock on topic 77 B2 reg/rectifier question
Both of my kZ's ('76 KZ900-A4 & '78 KZ1000 B2) the rectifier is mounted with a stud fed through the body, nut for air gaped offset... The regulators are flat plate mounted to a frame bracket.

Just went through where I lost my rectifier on my 900, part numbers are identical even though rectifiers are different where diodes exposed, other not....

The rectifier in one module (exposed diodes) has a separate ground (conductor to frame) while the other doesn't thus depending on a solid grounded mounting...

Electrically speaking, add a ground conductor from battery (-) or truly grounded frame to your fender where the components are bolted/mounted... Use the O-ring conductor terminals to the component bodies under mounting bolt head. Do this for both the rectifier and regulator.

Not sure of chrome regarding heat dissipation though...
I would think it would be ok but others may know differently...

Are you planning on extending your wiring lengths from rect/reg to electrical panel (white & green plugs)?

Images please on the final.... B)

OMR

1976 KZ900-A4
MTC 1075cc.
Camshafts: Kawi GPZ-1100 .375 lift
Head: P&P via Larry Cavanaugh
ZX636 suspension
MIKUNI, RS-34'S...
Kerker 4-1, 1.5" comp baffle.
Dyna-S E.I.
Earls 10 row Oil Cooler
Acewell 2802 Series Speedo/Tach
Innovate LC1 Wideband 02 AFR meter

Phoenix, Az
Attachments:
Last edit: 22 Jul 2010 04:18 by Old Man Rock.

More
22 Jul 2010 06:19 - 22 Jul 2010 06:24 #384559 by loudhvx
Replied by loudhvx on topic 77 B2 reg/rectifier question
What bike?

Sounds like a 1977 KZ750-twin B2?

According to Kawasaki, the 76 B1 and 77 B2 use an excited-field alternator. That is very different from the permanent magnet alternators on the 900/1000. However, even though the regulators are very different, it's possible the rectifier is the same. Not sure on that.

Your regulator will not like vibration if it is the original mechanical type. Vibration will cause the contacts to vibrate and alter your voltage. It can be mounted to ground, but for vibration reasons it should have some sort of rubber mount. A new, solid-state one, won't be affected by vibration, (unless vibration damages it, but normally won't affect it).

And for reference, in case you use the Kawaski site for parts comparisons, if you use the feature where it lists other bikes using the same parts, that is notoriously worng especially for regulator/rectifier/alternator info. Kaw used a lot of different charging systems in the 1970's and early 1980's. It's ball of confusion there. The parts/years/models on the actual fiche images are usually more accurate.
Last edit: 22 Jul 2010 06:24 by loudhvx.

More
22 Jul 2010 09:09 #384588 by Old Man Rock
Replied by Old Man Rock on topic 77 B2 reg/rectifier question
DOH!!! Good point Loud... Unfortunately was assuming KZ1000 was the KZ in question... damn it, there you go for assuming again...:blush:

Update your profile Capt....

1976 KZ900-A4
MTC 1075cc.
Camshafts: Kawi GPZ-1100 .375 lift
Head: P&P via Larry Cavanaugh
ZX636 suspension
MIKUNI, RS-34'S...
Kerker 4-1, 1.5" comp baffle.
Dyna-S E.I.
Earls 10 row Oil Cooler
Acewell 2802 Series Speedo/Tach
Innovate LC1 Wideband 02 AFR meter

Phoenix, Az

• Capt America
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • Born Bad
More
22 Jul 2010 10:49 #384605 by Capt America
Replied by Capt America on topic 77 B2 reg/rectifier question
Doh, Ok done it. Sorry "Old Man Rock", I was wondering where you guys where listing your bikes.. it's in my signature now.

When it comes to me you can safely assume we are always talking about a Frankenstien bike. LOL. So we are talking in this case (a 1983 K1 750 Twin belt drive, that now has a 1977 B2 750 twin motor, and wiring harness.) For the next few years at least.. rofl

Yes it is an excited field stator. The rectifier is a 5 wire unit with 3 stator wires, a 12v out wire, and a ground wire. Also my wires are long enough to put it anywhere. I strip all my harnesses to the minimum. I only require a head/tail, and machine power.

Sorry camera so cheap it don't even got a flash, shop poorly lit, etc. but here is an image of both reg/rect.

Both currently mounted to the rubber mounted battery box so I could get the old motor fired, tuned, and check stator output. I runs fine now, so I need to finish her up. Regulater and spark box will stay in their current positions, but I'ld like to move the rectifier.

Capt A merica
1983 K1 750 twin
Ontario, Canada.

More
22 Jul 2010 21:50 #384814 by Mark Wing
Replied by Mark Wing on topic 77 B2 reg/rectifier question
On my 77C1 the rectifier is solid mounted and the regulator is rubber mounted.

Mark

Jesus loves you Everyone else thinks your an ***

77 KZ650 C1 with ZX7 forks, GPZ mono rear, wider 18 police wheels and Yoshimura motor.

Yorba Linda Cal.