Starter Just Spins

More
21 Jul 2010 13:49 #384392 by BIGD
Starter Just Spins was created by BIGD
My starter will just spin and does not engage and start the bike. Can I fix this problem myself or is a new starter the answer. It is probably the original and has been acting loud and sometimes not always catching on the first try. Thanks Don

Had 1981 KZ1000 M1 From 1981-1995 Canadian Model
Have 1981 KZ1000 M1 US Model

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
21 Jul 2010 13:53 #384394 by bountyhunter
Replied by bountyhunter on topic Starter Just Spins
Sounds more like the starter clutch.

1979 KZ-750 Twin

More
21 Jul 2010 14:41 #384404 by tinlizzie37
Replied by tinlizzie37 on topic Starter Just Spins
I agree with bountyhunter. The starter clutch is on the inside, but can be replaced with the engine in the bike. I've seen an article somewhere that shows the bike laid over on it's side on some tires. The pan and some covers have to be removed. Anyone know the article I'm talking about? Bob

Bob KZ 650 E1, En 450

More
21 Jul 2010 15:16 #384410 by zed1015
Replied by zed1015 on topic Starter Just Spins
Hi. tinlizzy is talking of the z650/750 motors.
I see you have a z1000, Yes ?.
The starter clutch on these is in the alternator case on the left of the bike behind the rotor.
You can buy rebuild kits which included new rollers and springs (3 of each).
Sometimes this is not enough though and a new or good s/h starter gear is also needed as it gets worn on the portion which the rollers jam against.

AIR CORRECTOR JETS FOR VM CARBS AND ETHANOL RESISTANT VITON CHOKE PLUNGER SEAL REPLACMENT FOR ALL CLASSIC AND MODERN MOTORCYCLE CARBURETTORS
kzrider.com/forum/23-for-sale/611992-air-corrector-jets-

More
21 Jul 2010 15:23 #384413 by MFolks
Replied by MFolks on topic Starter Just Spins
Over Running Starter Clutch Repair On the Older, Bigger 4’S

1. When preparing to repair the starter over running clutch have a few items on hand:

A. New alternator cover gasket.
B. New springs (3).
C. New spring caps (3).
D. New rollers (3).

2. If possible, put the motorcycle on the center stand and tilt to the right to reduce the oil volume in the alternator cover.

3. Place an oil catch pan under the left side of the engine to collect what small amount of oil that will escape when the alternator cover is removed.

4. Remove the foot shifter lever, left foot peg assembly and the sprocket cover.

5. Some Kawasaki’s have socket head cap screws(Allen type) and others may have fasteners with a Phillips type. If the latter is there, a # 3 bit seems to work the best for removal.

6. Remove the alternator cover and take care with the three wires coming from the alternator stator. These are the voltage supply wires for the motorcycle. Rest the cover on some newspaper or rags to prevent damage.

7. The magnetic Rotor or flywheel will probably require a removal bolt or puller. NOTE, SOME ENGINES HAVE LEFT HAND THREADS ON THE ROTOR!!

8. The over running clutch is bolted to the back of the rotor with three Allen head fasteners.

9. Separate the rotor from the over running clutch and inspect for damage in the springs, rollers, and spring caps. Replace any worn parts.

10. Re-assemble in reverse order taking care when re-installing the Alternator cover not to pinch any wires. If the cover will not re-install without force, check before any damage occurs.

1982 GPZ1100 B2
General Dynamics/Convair 1983-1993
GLCM BGM-109 Tomahawk, AGM-129A Advanced Cruise Missile (ACM)

More
21 Jul 2010 17:57 #384460 by BIGD
Replied by BIGD on topic Starter Just Spins
The rollers, pins and springs I just put back in after replacing the starter clutch bolts. They were not very tight. So the rollers and springs will cause this much of a problem? Just ordered a new set from Z1.

Had 1981 KZ1000 M1 From 1981-1995 Canadian Model
Have 1981 KZ1000 M1 US Model

More
21 Jul 2010 18:00 #384462 by MFolks
Replied by MFolks on topic Starter Just Spins
Parts like this wear out in time just like clutch parts.

1982 GPZ1100 B2
General Dynamics/Convair 1983-1993
GLCM BGM-109 Tomahawk, AGM-129A Advanced Cruise Missile (ACM)