CDI Ignitor Box

More
18 Jul 2010 10:11 #383611 by hotrodpuch
CDI Ignitor Box was created by hotrodpuch
I have an 81 Kz750 LTD. I have been getting the bike worked on the past 2 months. I had the carb cleaned and sync'd. I had a new head gasket put on it and am also in the process of getting the gas tank dipped and sealed. When my mechanic put the bike back together it wouldn't start and he wasn't sure why. So as he was looking it over he found out that it needed a new CDI ignitor box and he said it also needs a new pickup (not sure exactly what the pickup is) My question is what other cdi boxes will fit on the make and model of my bike? Is there a good place to find one cheap? Also what is the pickup and where is a good place to get that from and is there any other interchangable years and models i could use. Thanks alot for the help!

1981 KZ750 LTD

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
18 Jul 2010 10:26 #383613 by MFolks
Replied by MFolks on topic CDI Ignitor Box
What you're calling a CDI is actually an electronic device that gives the ignition coils their grounds so they produce a spark.

Kawasaki calls it a "IC Igniter" As for the pick up coils, they are behind a CD sized cover on the right side of the bike forward of the clutch housing.

Here's a testing procedure for the pick up coils(Kawasaki calls them Pulsing Coils):

Ohm Checking Pickup(Pulsing) Coils

The pickup coils on the Kawasaki’s with the factory supplied electronic ignition can sometimes fail or become intermittent due to heat and vibration.

1.Trace back from where the pick up coils are mounted,(under a right side CD sized cover) locate and disconnect a small 4 pin connector. Using a multi-meter set on OHMS and range of X 100 check between the BLUE and BLACK wires(#1 and #4 sparkplug wires) for between 360- 540 OHMS.

2.For #2 and #3 sparkplugs the wire colors will be YELLOW and RED, again 360-540 OHMS.(I wrote this for the Kz900,Kz1000, and Kz1100, yours may be different).

3.If the pickup coils are suspect of failing due to heat, they can be stressed using a hair dryer without the need of the engine running.

4.A replacement set of pickup coils might be obtained from a dealer who serviced the police Kawasaki’s.

5. If replacement pickup coils are not available, your next choice would be to order a Dyna “S” electronic ignition system from www.z1enterprises.com It replaces the IC igniter with a smaller module located where the mechanical ignition advancer was mounted.

6. Checking with Kawasaki.com website has determined that the Pick up(pulsing) coils are available . The pulsing coil # is 59026-1133 and replaces the older # 1002, 1012 which were used from the MKII motors until the 2005 P24.

7.Check the small 4 pin connector that the pickup coils connect to for corrosion/loose pins too.

If you suspect the IC Igniter is going bad, A member of the forum named "Loudhvx" has made a replacement using off the shelf GM electronic modules.

1982 GPZ1100 B2
General Dynamics/Convair 1983-1993
GLCM BGM-109 Tomahawk, AGM-129A Advanced Cruise Missile (ACM)

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.