why wont my headlight turn on?!?!?!

• cobura
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • forever 2 wheels
More
17 Jul 2010 20:26 #383505 by cobura
why wont my headlight turn on?!?!?! was created by cobura
with this damn kz650 (1977 B1) it seems that every time i try to fix or improve something, something else ends up breaking. The result is that i make little to no progress and end up wanting to kill myself.

2 weeks ago i bought a reproduction Z1 right-side control switch assembly. I knew it was slightly different from my 650, but with a little bit of wire splicing, i concluded that i had customized it to be EXACTLY the same. The inner workings of the Z1 switch are the same as the 650, just the wire color and connections are slightly different. I connected the new switch, tested all the buttons, everything worked except the running light. Headlight worked, but running light didn't. So i took the new switch off and decided to put the old switch back on for now. When i put the old switch back on, i realized that the headlight had completely stopped working. Still, all the other buttons worked, but my headlight and running light were dead, no light whatsoever.

I checked and double checked connections. I stripped off the plastic covers from the connection points to inspect the wires themselves, everything looked fine. No blown fuses. I never opened the headlight case and i didn't touch any other wires than those for the right-side control. The only other thing i messed with was the throttle cables.

Next, i looked at a wiring diagram and realized that the three wires that need to connect for the headlight to light, is the brown/white wire, blue/white wire, and brown wire. I directly connected those three just for a second to see if the headlight would light, and it didn't. It seems very strange that the headlight could burn out the same time as the running light, i cant understand what happened. Did i do something wrong with the new switch and fry something? Im at the end of my rope with this bike, please help.

1979 KZ650B3

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
17 Jul 2010 20:59 #383516 by MFolks
Replied by MFolks on topic why wont my headlight turn on?!?!?!
Rather than panic and start ripping items apart, see if the headlight works. Is your headlight a sealed beam or is the bulb replaceable?

For headlights to work you'll need a ground(usually a BLACK with YELLOW stripe) and two other colors, one for high beam and low beam.

Fuses can look good but have failed or "Blown", take the headlight fuse out of the clips and see if the metal end caps are tight(can't twist them)and the fuse filiment is intact.

If the fuse is bad, most auto parts stores can get the AGX size fuse your bike has in 10,20,and 30 amp sizes.

Don't try to force the more available AGC fuse in the clip as it may break them.

1982 GPZ1100 B2
General Dynamics/Convair 1983-1993
GLCM BGM-109 Tomahawk, AGM-129A Advanced Cruise Missile (ACM)

• cobura
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • forever 2 wheels
More
17 Jul 2010 21:01 #383517 by cobura
Replied by cobura on topic why wont my headlight turn on?!?!?!
my headlight is a sealed beam. I will go right now to buy new fuses and see if that's the problem.

1979 KZ650B3

• cobura
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • forever 2 wheels
More
17 Jul 2010 22:14 #383526 by cobura
Replied by cobura on topic why wont my headlight turn on?!?!?!
fuse is not the problem

1979 KZ650B3

More
17 Jul 2010 22:29 #383530 by MFolks
Replied by MFolks on topic why wont my headlight turn on?!?!?!
Take a multimeter(if you have one) and ohm check the bulb. It should have resistance on both high and low beam filiments.

Do you know if your bike has the Kawasaki "Reserve Lighting Devise"? It's designed to turn on either high or low beam if one of them burns out.I'm not sure when Kawasaki started adding it to the bikes.

Check the related electrical connectors inside the headlight housing too. One or more may be loose/corroded.

1982 GPZ1100 B2
General Dynamics/Convair 1983-1993
GLCM BGM-109 Tomahawk, AGM-129A Advanced Cruise Missile (ACM)

More
18 Jul 2010 04:57 #383549 by 650ed
Replied by 650ed on topic why wont my headlight turn on?!?!?!
By "running light" do you mean the tail light? Ed

1977 KZ650-C1 Original Owner - Stock (with additional invisible FIAMM horn)