Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

top end rebuild..won't start 10 Apr 2006 08:36 #38269

• brianrae33
  • brianrae33's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 0
have a 1978 ltd1000...just put new wiseco pistons and rings...1015 drop-in kit...fresh cylinder hone and relapped valves and new stem seals..checked for spark on all plugs and it is there...checked....double checked...then triple checked cam timing...seems fine....don't have electric starter hooked up....is it possible that kicking with all those new parts just isn't going to get..
any advise/help appreciated..
Brian..
1982 kz1000ltd

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

top end rebuild..won't start 10 Apr 2006 11:28 #38306

• BARNEYHYPHEN
  • User
  • Thank you received: 1
Just my $0.02 worth but I think you are going to have a real hard time starting it the first time using just the kick start. You might try shooting some starter fluid whilst you're kicking, may help.

If it were me, I would hook up th starter. Let us know how you get on.

top end rebuild..won't start 10 Apr 2006 14:06 #38348

• kawtoy
  • User
  • Thank you received: 6
It will be hard with the kick start. You need to kick it with the plugs out just to get the oil to the head. Then I would kick it some with the plugs in but unhooked just to get the rings seated a bit. You can take the oil test plug off of the right side of the engine and make sure you have pressure when you are kicking it over. It will make a mess but not too bad. I would use some starter fluid but not too much. It can backfire and cause a fire. Using the starter would be best but you should be able to do it with the kicker. Good luck.
Harley Davidson- Turning gas into noise without the harmful affects of horsepower for over 100 years.

• Page: