Does this sound like an electrical problem?

More
14 Jul 2010 11:34 #382631 by chrispysaki
Does this sound like an electrical problem? was created by chrispysaki
I've been having this very intermittent problem where the bike (80 kz750e) will suddenly begin to lose power until it dies completely. This usually takes about a minute from the time I begin to notice the problem. Once it dies, I pull over, wait a few seconds and the bike starts right up again and seems to run fine (although I take it a lot easier on the engine after this happens).

It's happened about four times in the last month, but the only commonality I can tell among each occurrence is that I'm going above 60 mph.

I initially thought the carbs were too lean and that it was overheating because it happened a couple times on very hot days. Yesterday, however, I rode about 40 miles during the day and it was about 80-85 degrees out. Then it died on the way home last night when the temperature was closer to 60 and I was going about 5-10 mph slower.

While riding it home, I thought I noticed in the rear view mirror that my tail light seemed to be flickering a bit, leading me to question whether it was an electrical issue. The head light seemed fine, however.

Does this sound like an electrical issue, carb issue, something else? I'd rather not spend a lot of time troubleshooting an electrical problem that doesn't exist.

Thanks,
Chris

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
14 Jul 2010 12:00 - 14 Jul 2010 12:03 #382635 by Patton
Replied by Patton on topic Does this sound like an electrical problem?
Fuel starvation, perhaps from clogged vent in fuel cap.

Test run with fuel cap ajar (by-passes need for vent).

For whatever reason, not enough fuel is getting into the float bowls.

Good Fortune! :)

1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD
Last edit: 14 Jul 2010 12:03 by Patton.

More
14 Jul 2010 12:34 #382640 by MFolks
Replied by MFolks on topic Does this sound like an electrical problem?
The tail ight flickering might be due to either a loose bulb/corroded socket.

Have you checked the battery voltage at idle and again at 4000 rpm? At 4K it should be 14 volts.

If you have the time and patience, go through all electrical connectors, starting at the headlight housing and going toward the tail light.

I use a very good brand of electrical contact cleaner/preservative called "De-oxit" It can be bought at Radio Shack stores and other electronic supply stores.

www.deoxit.com is their website.

I do not recommend using WD-40 on electrical contacts or fuse clips as later on it becomes a non conductor.

1982 GPZ1100 B2
General Dynamics/Convair 1983-1993
GLCM BGM-109 Tomahawk, AGM-129A Advanced Cruise Missile (ACM)

More
14 Jul 2010 13:02 #382643 by chrispysaki
Replied by chrispysaki on topic Does this sound like an electrical problem?
Patton wrote:

You know, each time it has happened I thought I had run out of gas. I checked and there was plenty in the tank, so I dismissed it right away. That's exactly what it's like, though.

I don't think I could even duplicate the problem if I tried, it seems so random, so even if it doesn't die with the fuel cap open, I'm not sure that it would point to a problem with the vent. I'll take a look at the vent tonight and see if I can see if there's something wrong with it.

More
14 Jul 2010 13:14 #382649 by 650ed
Check your fuel line(s). I had the exact same symptoms 2 years ago and it turned out to be a fuel line that had a little kink in it that would sometimes restrict the fuel flow. Fixed the kink - problem gone. Ed

1977 KZ650-C1 Original Owner - Stock (with additional invisible FIAMM horn)

More
14 Jul 2010 13:25 - 14 Jul 2010 13:31 #382652 by Patton
chrispysaki wrote:

Patton wrote:

You know, each time it has happened I thought I had run out of gas. I checked and there was plenty in the tank, so I dismissed it right away. That's exactly what it's like, though.

I don't think I could even duplicate the problem if I tried, it seems so random, so even if it doesn't die with the fuel cap open, I'm not sure that it would point to a problem with the vent. I'll take a look at the vent tonight and see if I can see if there's something wrong with it.

If bike begins surging while riding, just unsnap the fuel tank cap and keep riding with the cap ajar (not snapped down) to see if the surging dissipates.
With a locking gas cap, test ride with spare key inserted in the cap to enable unsnapping the cap while riding.
If all else fails, at roadside, open the cap, allow sufficient time for fuel to fill the float bowls (use petcock PRI position if a vacuum petcock). Start the engine and resume riding with the fuel cap not snapped down.
If the problem doesn't re-cur with the fuel cap loose, that definitely points to a cap vent issue.

The so-called "vapor-lock" due to insufficient fuel tank venting may be more or less severe depending on fuel level.
Could be mistaken, but seem to remember that vapor lock is less with a full tank, and progressively worsens as the fuel level goes down.

1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD
Last edit: 14 Jul 2010 13:31 by Patton.

More
14 Jul 2010 18:39 #382701 by djcody
Replied by djcody on topic Does this sound like an electrical problem?
Funny, I had this very problem too last year with my 650. I cannot pinpoint exactly which fixed it but I bought a new regulator and rectifier from oregonmotorcycleparts.com and never had a problem again. I also updated the old fuses to mini blade fuses.

77 KZ650C airpods and 4 into 2 turn outs exhaust. VM carbs

82 550 LTD all stock except air pods

More
14 Jul 2010 18:53 - 14 Jul 2010 21:36 #382705 by Patton
chrispysaki wrote:

I've been having this very intermittent problem where the bike (80 kz750e) will suddenly begin to lose power until it dies completely. This usually takes about a minute from the time I begin to notice the problem. Once it dies, I pull over, wait a few seconds and the bike starts right up again and seems to run fine (although I take it a lot easier on the engine after this happens).

It's happened about four times in the last month, but the only commonality I can tell among each occurrence is that I'm going above 60 mph.

I initially thought the carbs were too lean and that it was overheating because it happened a couple times on very hot days. Yesterday, however, I rode about 40 miles during the day and it was about 80-85 degrees out. Then it died on the way home last night when the temperature was closer to 60 and I was going about 5-10 mph slower.

While riding it home, I thought I noticed in the rear view mirror that my tail light seemed to be flickering a bit, leading me to question whether it was an electrical issue. The head light seemed fine, however.

Does this sound like an electrical issue, carb issue, something else? I'd rather not spend a lot of time troubleshooting an electrical problem that doesn't exist.

Thanks,
Chris

I don't suspect either the carbs or any charging components.

The ignition system relies on a charged battery, and doesn't care how the battery stays charged. With a charged battery, the bike will perform just fine without any charging system whatever, until the battery runs down.

Consider some race bikes run a total loss system, meaning just a battery, and without any alternator parts, and no regulator or rectifier.

To check the charging system, measure voltage across the battery terminals at idle (look for 12~13 volts) and at 4000 rpm (look for 14~15 volts).

1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD
Last edit: 14 Jul 2010 21:36 by Patton.

More
14 Jul 2010 21:09 #382764 by chrispysaki
Replied by chrispysaki on topic Does this sound like an electrical problem?
Thanks everyone! If it weren't for this place I'd be riding around town on my schwinn with a 500lb paper weight taking up space in my garage!