77 kz650 charging problems

More
14 Jul 2010 11:00 #382626 by ajharper1
77 kz650 charging problems was created by ajharper1
I know that there are a lot of forum topics already created on this but none of them are exactly the situation that I am in.

So the bike sat for a good 3 years before I got to it, I got the bike for 400 dollars because they thought it was seized. It was in 3rd lol.

So after I charged the battery and started it up it ran perfect for a good 5 min. Then it started sputtering and died. After that I replaced the rectifier/ regulator. Then I tried it again and the same thing happened except this time I ended up pushing it back home... not fun. At this point the electric start was not working so I replaced the starter solenoid. The electric start works now but the bike is still dying. I've checked everywhere for shorts or bad grounds, I've opened up the alternator and everything seems fine there, all my fuses are new, spark plugs are new. The only thing that I can think of is that maybe the flasher relay is broken or that I need to take apart the factory wrap and search for corroded wires in there.

Any help is appreciated :).

-Alex

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
14 Jul 2010 11:23 - 14 Jul 2010 11:25 #382629 by Patton
Replied by Patton on topic 77 kz650 charging problems
Perhaps fuel starvation for whatever reason.

Could test run with fuel cap ajar to see whether problem recurs (this by-passes possible clogged vent in fuel cap.)

Might also be rust/grit/crud clogging the petcock pickup screen that goes up inside the fuel tank. Perhaps fuel is flowing too slowly into the float bowls, whereby the float bowl empties and causes fuel starvation.

Same idea -- if fitted with an in-line fuel filter, maybe the filter is clogged and not flowing enough fuel to keep the float bowls filled.

If bike was started after sitting three years, without first flushing the fuel tank and without an inline filter, the carbs likely need cleaning, regardless of whether the float bowls might have been drained prior to storage.

Good Fortune! :)

1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD
Last edit: 14 Jul 2010 11:25 by Patton.

More
14 Jul 2010 13:23 #382651 by 650ed
Replied by 650ed on topic 77 kz650 charging problems
Am I reading this right? It sounds like the battery sat in the bike unused for 3 years and then you charged it. If that's the case you should begin by buying a new battery because one that sits unused for 3 years is toast. You can charge it up with a charger, but it's not going to hold a charge for very long. Ed

1977 KZ650-C1 Original Owner - Stock (with additional invisible FIAMM horn)

More
15 Jul 2010 14:42 #382882 by ajharper1
Replied by ajharper1 on topic 77 kz650 charging problems
we've bought 2 new batteries, but it doesn't matter now because I went through the entire wiring harness today (took apart the factory wrap and rewrapped it) and its making electricity. Now it's just a matter or getting it fuel.