Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

Rear Signal Bulbs? 09 Apr 2006 16:53 #38112

• horaceunit
  • horaceunit's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 0
Hey guys! New here with a new (to me) 1981 KZ750E-2. It runs fine and I just got my MC endorsement again after almost 14 years. Anyway I just noticed that the rear turn signals are not always on like the front ones. They blink fine when the turn signal is on (left or right)but only the front ones are always on.

The front has 1157's but the rear ones are 1073's and from going through the archives I have seen references to 1156's. I went to the local auto parts place and the 1156's look to be the same as these. It appears that they only have one set of elements in them while the front 1157's are duals. That explains why the front ones are always on, but is it correct that the rear ones are not always on?

Seems to me they all should be on all the time but perhaps back in those days it was not common to have the rear turn signals on all the time as the front ones and of course the headlight is? Any issue running the 1157's on the rear turn signals as well as the front? Any thoughts greatly appreciated!

Gary Palmer
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Rear Signal Bulbs? 09 Apr 2006 16:59 #38114

• Biquetoast
  • User
  • King Jeremy The Wicked
  • Thank you received: 7
Since it's you first post, welcome!

Now down to business. The back amber lights are single-pole, meaning they are only off or on; not off/dim/bright like the front.

Some have changed the covers from amber to red and re-wired the lights (or replaced and rewired them) to accomodeate the dual-pole lights for running lights. I definately agree that it's a good thing, but it is not the way it was stock.

"1157" is the generic name for dual-pole, and "1156" is the generic name for single pole. THe number you mentioned I believe is the stock bulb from Japan.
(1.) '75/'76 KZ400D - Commuter
(2.) '78 KZ750B3 Twin - Commuter
(3.) '78 KZ750B3 Twin - Commuter
(4.) '75 KZ400D - Sold
kz750twins.com

Rear Signal Bulbs? 09 Apr 2006 17:06 #38115

• horaceunit
  • User
OK, so you can't run the dual bulbs on the back without some modification? I will check the archives for this--anyone ever done it? What is involved? Sounds like it might be a winter project! Thanks for the answer!

Gary:)

Rear Signal Bulbs? 09 Apr 2006 17:38 #38123

• The Milkman
  • User
  • Thank you received: 194
You wil have to replace the rear lights to 2 filament sockets. You can get the whole unit for about 10 bucks each or less. Then you just wire then into the harness.
If you decide to do it we can explain the wiring after you get them.
Les
78 650-C2, Stock engine, Jardine 4-2 Exh., 17-38 sprockets, dyna ignition and coils, coil wiring mod, carb mod.

Rear Signal Bulbs? 09 Apr 2006 17:42 #38124

• RetroRiceRocketRider
  • User
  • ...bring in the machine that goes PING!
  • Thank you received: 29
Welcome to KZr Gary.

I recently tackled the conversion on my ZN700, and it sure looks a lot better!

Before:

After:

I had an extra set of front signals from my bike that the molded on stems had broken. So I gutted the socket, wiring and inner reflector from them to swap into the rear signals. Then attached the 3rd wire from the signal into the tail light wire....Bingo!

It took me a few hours to complete. Because I wanted to be 100% certain that they were not only functional, but so everything also looked all original.

You see the end product, you make the decision. ;)

FWIW, most states frown (see: give citations :ohmy:) for altering things on vehicles, especially lighting devices. So you might want to check the laws where you live to be sure before doing it.

Luckily for me though, is that all of the Police officers (so far) that have seen my bike really like the look. And not only didn't ticket me, but agree that it makes my bike much more visible and recognizable as being a motorcycle, and not just another car with a burned out tail light. B)

Post edited by: RetroRiceRocketRider, at: 2006/04/09 20:47
Covina, So Calif!
78 KZ650-B2 = SOLD
84 ZN700 LTD = SOLD
84 ZX750 GPz = SOLD
89 GSX1100F Katana = SLEEPING :-/
20 VN1700 Vulcan Vaquero (the Blue Cowboy)
Looking for my next project KZ

Rear Signal Bulbs? 09 Apr 2006 18:33 #38145

• Corith
  • User

Post edited by: Corith, at: 2006/04/09 21:37
Attachments:

Rear Signal Bulbs? 09 Apr 2006 18:37 #38146

• Corith
  • User
You can see what I did.

I took some red harley turn signals that are an "always on" turn signal, and adapted them to my bike. So they are always on, and then blink brighter.

Post edited by: Corith, at: 2006/04/09 21:37
Attachments:

Rear Signal Bulbs? 09 Apr 2006 18:40 #38150

• Corith
  • User
You can see what I did.

I took some red harley turn signals that are an "always on" turn signal, and adapted them to my bike. So they are always on, and then blink brighter.

Rear Signal Bulbs? 10 Apr 2006 05:10 #38251

• horaceunit
  • User
It looks like mine would be good if I just got dual element sockets and wired them in. The pic shows a good shot of the rear of one of them and they are on stalks just like the front. Someone mentioned there are ones you can get- any idea where?

GaryP

Post edited by: horaceunit, at: 2006/04/10 08:13
Attachments:

Rear Signal Bulbs? 10 Apr 2006 18:39 #38430

• The Milkman
  • User
  • Thank you received: 194
Check you u2u.
78 650-C2, Stock engine, Jardine 4-2 Exh., 17-38 sprockets, dyna ignition and coils, coil wiring mod, carb mod.

• Page: