anyone want to help me with my ongoing problems?

• cobura
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • forever 2 wheels
More
04 Jul 2010 08:47 #380134 by cobura
So ever since I bout my z650 in october, i have had nothing but problems with it. Its like a curse, and im getting really tired of dumping money into a bike that i cant ride. If you have the time to help me yet again, i would really appreciate it.

If any of you remember, it started with my electronics system, which i ended up completely replacing (new regulator, rectifier, coils, spark plug wires, caps, batter, etc.) Next was my carburetor. #1 cylinder was not firing, which did end up being a carb problem. After taking apart the carbs about a 100 times, seemed to fix the problem. All cylinders were running hard a strong. All spark plugs showed good color, not too black not too white.

So i go to ride her for about 2 weeks. In that time, i installed a new 4 in 1 exhaust. I adjusted the jet sizes to accommodate the new exhaust, only slight adjustment, and ran great. Soon after it started to run really weird. It would sputter and misfire, had no power. Turned out to by my condensers (i am still running points). The weld holding the right side condenser (for cylinders 2&3) had broken and the condenser wasn't being properly grounded. I used a pair of pliers to bend the bracket to hold the condenser in place. It worked and the engine ran perfectly, but after 5 minutes or so, the vibration would rattle the condenser back out of place. It proved though, that it was a problem with the condenser, I was sure!

So i ordered a new condenser from Z1 Enterprises. The condenser i received was actually same as the OEM brand, so I'm sure its good quality. I installed the new condenser, fired up the bike, and noticed that the engine was running much worse than before. Sounded strange and wouldnt idle without stalling. I could also see a visible spark on the point for cylinders 2&3. I shut off the engine and felt the headers. Cylinders 2&3 were completely cold!. I checked and double checked my connection of the new condenser. It is definitely properly grounded and connected properly. After that, i pulled the spark plugs for 2&3 and dried them off. I double checked the connection of the condenser and sanded the point for 2&3 only slightly with very fine sandpaper. After that, I tried starting the engine again. This time, cylinder 3 got slightly warm, but 2 didnt. At this point, i could not longer see a visible spark at the point.

This is really driving me nuts, if anyone has any ideas of what i could be doing wrong, I would appreciate any kind of advice. Thanks as always.

1979 KZ650B3

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• trianglelaguna
  • User
  • New and improved - extra strength
More
04 Jul 2010 09:02 #380135 by trianglelaguna
Replied by trianglelaguna on topic anyone want to help me with my ongoing problems?
there are folks here who run points and stock electrics to stock coils and swear by em,,,or at least still know how to adjust and time points...(a dying skill for sure)

Not me though....dyna coils and a dyna ignition seem to make the bike a solid runner...never need adjustments and VERY rarely give any trouble if ever.....

if you are staeside and are not opposed to buying used stuff...you can get the igniton for about 60-used 135-new...and coils are a weird one ..used ones bid up crazy and some go for new prices 125 new if you find a deal...but good clean used dyna coils are around i just got a set for 81 but they came with a nice set of taylor wires(35) so i got a deal imo.....

if you get a good cdi ignition your problems will be over as far as having to mess around with cold/not firing /cylinders.....

Others will have correct repair answers...i'm sure...but i just put aftermarket ignitions and coils and forget about em...imo....don't give up...your bike looks great and is worht waiting till you can get it right....money aint worth much so spend it on bikes is my opinion...:woohoo:

1976 KZ900
2003 ZX12R
2007 FZ1000
2004 ninja 250R for wife

• cobura
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • forever 2 wheels
More
04 Jul 2010 09:13 #380138 by cobura
thats actually pretty good advice. I wanted to keep things original, but points are just a waste of time i think. Do you recommend the dyna-S system??? What do you currently run???

I'd still like to fix my points though, just so i can be certain that the points are my problem and not something else.

1979 KZ650B3

• trianglelaguna
  • User
More
04 Jul 2010 09:22 #380141 by trianglelaguna
Replied by trianglelaguna on topic anyone want to help me with my ongoing problems?
i'm pretty challenged as far as electric theory and application...it run what I can find on auctions or killer new auctions....i got some dyna coils new for my 900 on e-bay 3 yrs back for 66.....new ,the guy sold his bike...so go figure ....box and all....

you have a 650 which i know nothing about the elec on...so you probaly gotta see what folks on here run on their 650's ...but a quick words search on e-bay might get you started... search for a "KZ650 dyna ignition" "KZ650 dyna coils".......

if you do bid on any used coils...add in that auto stores get 25-35 for wires..so it may be better to keep the bidding lower if the used coils are bare of wires...ie...no 65 or over bids...cause then shipping and new wires and you got over a 100 and still used....good luck

1976 KZ900
2003 ZX12R
2007 FZ1000
2004 ninja 250R for wife

• trianglelaguna
  • User
More
04 Jul 2010 09:30 #380142 by trianglelaguna
the good thing with the elec ignition and coils...ie.. dyna set ups....is imo...if the bike is/has been running... then any new problems are NEVER!!! gonna be traceable to igniton or coils...period...

unless a plug wire or ignition connection comes loose....(which..... in the begining happens if you hurry on installation & routing :) )....

but now if i have a hic up :angry: ...or a stumble :huh: ...or it stalls :blush: ....i have way less things to check...cause i know i'm running a solid state set up!!!

i can trace it to a handle bar wire B) ??? or key swith wire B) ????...but dont have to tear into the points cover/or under tank stuff :unsure: !!!!! ....ever :) !!!!!

1976 KZ900
2003 ZX12R
2007 FZ1000
2004 ninja 250R for wife

More
04 Jul 2010 09:34 #380145 by otakar
The Dyna-S is is about the only thing commercially available here in the US which is not too expensive. The other choice would be to go with a OE Kawasaki 80s ignition which is actually a bit better than the Dyna-S and could be bought on eBay. Otherwise you can build your own ignition from LOUDHVX's plans, using Kawasaki 550 pickup coils.

74 Z1-A stock
76 KZ-900 Totaly stock vice MAC pipe
77 KZ-1000A stock
78 Z1-R 100%MINT 500 original Mi.
78 Z1-R Yoshi 1103 kit stage 1 cams Yoshi pipe. Etc
79 KZ-1300 (1400)
80 KZ-1300
81 Scratch built GPz1150R
82 KZ1000
Attachments:

More
04 Jul 2010 21:22 #380303 by 650ed
Do you have the Kawasaki factory service manual? It describes how to set the points' timing and dwell. You need the manual, a timing light, and a dwell meter and a new set of points to start (I assume the condensors are fine if you just replaced them). Folks will say you can tune the engine by ear, with a matchbook cover, with Taro cards, etc; but without the manual and the proper tools you aren't likey to simply stumble on the correct settings. Static timing will only get you in a very large ballpark. I've been using points on my '77 KZ650C1 since April, 1977. They work fine, but do periodically (every 10,000 miles or so) need to be replaced as the points start to wear/pit. Aftermarket, or later KZ650 electronic ignition is fine too, but if it experiences a problem you may end up on foot as it's more of a go/no go system. If you don't have the Kawasaki factory service manual you REALLY should get one, not just for this task but for all maintenance and repairs. They are usually available on eBay; just be sure to get one for your exact year/model. They are worth their weight in gold but cost much less, and I've never heard of anyone regretting getting one. Ed

1977 KZ650-C1 Original Owner - Stock (with additional invisible FIAMM horn)

More
06 Jul 2010 18:23 #380685 by The Duke
First my brotha, I don't care what they say, once you foul the plugs you might as well use them for fishing weights they are useless. buy a new set of plugs and see. Don't go jumping around adding stuff till you get it running right - the way it is. The worst thing to do is keep on adding junk when you know it ain't running right. good Luck

• cobura
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • forever 2 wheels
More
07 Jul 2010 07:52 #380760 by cobura
The Duke wrote:

First my brotha, I don't care what they say, once you foul the plugs you might as well use them for fishing weights they are useless. buy a new set of plugs and see. Don't go jumping around adding stuff till you get it running right - the way it is. The worst thing to do is keep on adding junk when you know it ain't running right. good Luck

I agree, thats why i will fix these points before upgrading. I disagree with you though that plugs are garbage once they are fowled. If they just get wet from gas, you can usually just let them dry.

I do have the factory service manual (in pdf) and I've checked my configuration of the new condensers. Im sure they are connected properly. I think that all the arching that occurred before in the point gap for cylinders 2 & 3 has caused damage. Either that or i bumped or accidentally changed the point settings while i was installing the new condensers. What do you think?

Before i had these troubles, my points were set up professionally by the local bike shop. I dont have a timing light yet.

1979 KZ650B3

More
07 Jul 2010 08:28 #380767 by kawsakiman
Replied by kawsakiman on topic anyone want to help me with my ongoing problems?
the only advice i can give you is to upgrade to a dyna system and buy a spark plug sandblaster.
cheaper to clean the plugs with that as opposed to buying plugs all the time.
they will not fire right even when they dry out.
i've seen people use a burnsamatic torch and try to clean them.
sandblaster is cheap and a good tool to have when trying to get the jetting right.

someday i will be able to afford my kz habit.

More
07 Jul 2010 08:57 #380780 by 650ed
Without a timing light and dwell meter you will only be able to get the points adjustment in the ballpark range; you won't be able to set the accurately. eBay usually has a variety of both tools at fairly low prices. Just be sure the timing light has an inductive pickup clamp (most do nowdays) instead of using a goofy spring deal to attach to the sparkplug wire. Ed

1977 KZ650-C1 Original Owner - Stock (with additional invisible FIAMM horn)

• cobura
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • forever 2 wheels
More
07 Jul 2010 09:05 #380782 by cobura
yes, i agree that properly setting the points is important. Since i dont have a timing light, i just pay to have it done at the bike shop. It was just done only a month ago. I'm wondering if its possible if i messed up the adjustment when i installed the new condensers.

1979 KZ650B3